The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
https://www.roadsafetysupport.co.uk/new ... d-campaign
Motorists are being reminded to drive safely and stick to the speed limits ahead of a national speed enforcement campaign that starts next week.

Co-ordinated by the National Police Chiefs' Council, the campaign will take place between January 14 and 27 and will aim to reduce deaths and injuries on the roads.

It will encourage motorists to think about their speed and remind drivers to always travel within the posted speed limit.

It is estimated that across Europe speeding contributes to as many as one third of all collisions that result in fatality and is the most important contributory factor to road deaths.

Speeding and inappropriate speed can have a devastating impact on the safety of road users, increasing the risk of a collision and the severity of the consequences.

West Mercia Police is one of many forces taking part in the national campaign.

Over the past three years, 123 people have been killed in the county and 929 seriously injured in collisions where speeding or use of inappropriate speed has been recorded as a contributory factor.

Throughout the campaign the Safer Roads Partnership, police officers, PCSOs, special constables and community speed watch volunteers will be out and about in local communities taking part in a mixture of enforcement and educational initiatives.

Roads Policing Inspector Adrian Davis for West Mercia Police comments: "Supporting this national campaign with local activities and increased enforcement is an important way of raising the issue and highlighting the dangers of speeding.

"There are many local residents in our region whose quality of life is affected by people speeding through their community, and families across West Mercia that unfortunately know far too well the devastating consequences that speeding and collisions can lead to.

"We'd like to take the opportunity during this campaign to remind people of the consequences of speeding.

"Apart from the obvious consequences if you are involved in a collision, if prosecuted for speeding the minimum penalty is a £100 fine and three penalty points. You could be disqualified from driving if you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of three years".

"Speeding, as well as inappropriate speed can have a devastating impact on the safety of road users, increasing the risk of a collision and the severity of the consequences."

Could just be RTTM has ,after a spell of a low accident rate, reverted to a high return.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 14:23 
Life Member
Life Member

...where speeding or use of inappropriate speed has been recorded as a contributory factor.

Interesting that they're now conflating "speeding" and "inappropriate speed" to get the numbers up!

It would be interesting to see the %age breakdown between the two components. Porcine aviation more likely though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 08:27 
User

:gatso2: BBC News NI. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-60166093

Speeding tickets: Nearly 1,000 NI motorists escape fines

Almost 1,000 motorists have escaped speeding fines in Northern Ireland in the past year.

A backlog in the processing centre meant some fines were not processed within the legal timeframe, police have said.

Fines are processed by staff from the security firm G4S.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said a shortage of staff was one of a number of factors to blame for the failings.

In the past 12 months, 939 detections had been cancelled from approximately 46,000 detections, as they were unable to be processed within the specified six-month timeframe, the head of the PSNI's operational support department told the Nolan Show.

"This issue relates to detections made by the mobile safety camera vans and fixed cameras," said T/ACC Jonathan Roberts.

Police said they became aware of the backlog in September, but that a "collaborative plan" had been developed with G4S - an outsourcing firm which provides staff to process speeding fines for police in Northern Ireland.

Most of those within the 939 cancelled fines relate to people who failed to comply.

Jonathan Roberts said the PSNI was facing staff shortages
ACC Roberts said the people who failed to comply were people who "have not accepted penalty points, paid their fine or have not accepted the offer of attending a speed awareness course".

Leading road traffic and criminal defence lawyer Nick Freeman said it was possible if those who had not been fined had gone to trial they would have been acquitted.

However, he said this did not give people who "accepted their responsibility" any right of action.

Public money

Ulster Unionist assembly member Mike Nesbitt, who sits on the Policing Board, raised questions about the contract in place between the PSNI and G4S and whether the contract put any responsibility on them in terms of the financial loss.

"At 939, you're talking a minimum of £56,000 if it's a £60 fine. If it's a £200 fine you're way into six figures. That should not rest with the public purse," he said.

In a statement, the PSNI said: "As we work to resolve this issue we can reassure the public that road safety and addressing speeding concerns remains a priority.

"Our road safety vans will continue to be deployed and police officers will remain on the road network 365 days of the year preventing and detecting speeding and other motoring offences."

G4S referred the BBC to the police statement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 22:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Locally as part of a Neighbourhood watch scheme I get reports from our Local teams. One report claimed success on local 20 schemes. I did reply asking for their intent on tailgaiting response in 20 areas. No real response was the answer, but I could fit a tail gate cam and send in photos to "operation SNAP" . I also did ask put same question to my MP to see that he had a discussion with the CC ,but have we moved forward on this.
In a 20 area, I'm happy to drive at an indicated 20, where I know my speedo is pretty close to my results from my sat nav on GPS. But if then I'm bullied by a following tailgaiter, I have choices. Hold my ground, with NO Police around to stop bullying.Police option is to fit a rear dash cam and send photos to "operation snap".
Perhaps we need an other option. We get a subsidy to fit rear dash cams ,where susidy is removed from local police budget.