Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Eight cars caught up in two crashes on A9
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... ds-3552126
Now days later-

Second multiple crash at same location on A9 a day apart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-35530743

REASON- "Traffic Scotland has suggested that sun glare may have been a contributing factor in the incident at Allangrange. There were similar conditions on Monday morning."

Not Speed- Quell surprize.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A9 CRASHES.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 01:49 
Site Admin

I dare say the presence of the cameras have contributed to these accidents. Even if it's by the 110miles of 'average cameras' with a few breaks for dual carriageways, although they can have mobile units in, so that camera distraction will prevent one from thinking about the 'drive' (etc) and provide great frustration as the massively long queues develop over many many many miles with little respite.

Not the slightest but surprised if the accident rate increases, on the A9, and not just down to the small increase in car sales & so the small pull out of recession that we are experiencing, that has started to see the fore-cast in the rise of KSI; but down to camera prescence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 

Quote:
REASON- "Traffic Scotland has suggested that sun glare may have been a contributing factor in the incident at Allangrange. There were similar conditions on Monday morning."

So we can expect accidents every sunny day now can we? funny this sun wasn't the cause of accidents pre camera days....very strange.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 01:50 
Site Admin

Sun/impaired vision, has certainly been known to be a cause of accidents, and would typically fall into the lower stats on misc headings. It's just not mentioned too much.
However education to recognise the likelihood of roads that will be effected (e.g time of year & the direction of road) and observations of sun location, can obviously help. However simple anticipation, and fore thought about the road ahead can prevent incidents developing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 22:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

graball wrote:
Quote:

So we can expect accidents every sunny day now can we? funny this sun wasn't the cause of accidents pre camera days....very strange.

A hazard NOT taught on the ADI approved course , or allowed for in the MOT driving test hazard AWARENESS test, BUT something I was made aware of in my learner days, and re-inforced by advice from my mentors.
I'd put the suggestion of "sunglare" as a problem down to LACK OF EDUCATION OF HAZARD AWARENESS. And who is in charge of EDUCATING the driving instructors-

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 21:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'll add to this post rather than starting a new one
Bit on BBC Scotland today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-36415841

But for anyone watching tonights one show ( one with Buzz Aldrin), this was mentioned, with some stuff the A9 safety group fail to mention- cars on wrong side., HGV turning right into traffic and a few ore nasty episodes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 21:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Adding to rather start a fresh post
I regularly look at the Scottish news on Teletext in the morning and more regularly I see reports of A9 accidents, with fewer and fewer claims that the cameras have solved the problem. Be interesting to see if these accidents occur in camera sections or outside .