All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 19:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Claire wrote:
Loads

:angel: I am now welling up again.

Claire it would be wonderful for a "Southern" gathering from my perspective. I must not be selfish of course, and if Midlands proves more appropriate for the majority, that's fine for me too.

All of your proposals are very level-headed and I'm sure we can all build on things under your direction.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 20:07 
Site Admin

I will be south during the beginning of January. My proposal is to make many visits on my way back North.
This may include not only several small Safe Speed 'Gatherings' Tributes etc, but also the way forward.
If all those that have been working in the background can contact me directly then I can start to organise and develop.
I am sure initial contacts for publishing will take some time to develop but I hope by summer it will be well on the way.
Anyone else that has abilities that they wish to offer - as has already been the case in many of the lovely comments, also should send me an email or call direct.
Let me see now, I reckon to replace Paul we will need a team of about 100 ! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 20:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Hi Claire, This is only my thoughts but, when you feel up to it I think we should put together some kind of PR and send it to as many of the media we can.

I'm not to good a writing these sort of things but, I'm sure that between everyone we could put something together. I just feel sad that Paul has not been mentioned much in the press, especially after all he's done for the people of this country (and others).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 20:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Claire - I'm in the midlands (Stafford) others are also in that general area. Perhaps a meet around here would be good for some. We had one near here with Paul which was well attended.

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 20:26 
User

Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:
Although right now I can't contibute financially (I hope, once my attempt at getting my business off the ground is successful, SS is still about to donate to, however) if those who are more in control feel it would help - I'd be more than happy to contribute by giving the site design a bit of tidy up. I'm a freelance web designer, and I'd love to help by organising it into a more presentable promotional tool.

Other than that, Claire, keep at it you're doing wonderfully.

Paul had someone working on a SafeSpeed lite version of his web site. He wanted to give his website a better look with less clutter, with a link to the original site. I don't know how they are getting on but he did say that they were a bit slow. He was also trying to come up with a different logo because people associated it with the SS (Germany). Maybe Claire will know how things were progressing.

Ok, no worries - but if you can't find out what's going on with the SS Lite, then as I said - more than happy to donate my time to a redesign and tidy up. Could also add some sort of CMS to allow quick adding of new PR's, stats and articles too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:38 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

prof beard wrote:
Claire - I'm in the midlands (Stafford) others are also in that general area. Perhaps a meet around here would be good for some. We had one near here with Paul which was well attended.

Seconded. A meeting somewhere in the Midlands would be best as that would allow people to attend via a day trip from most parts of England.

The ABD tend to hold their meetings at the Motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon, Warwickshire, which is ideal from that point of view.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 05:03 

Being on the south coast I'm probably a bit biased towards the south.

A real life meet up would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ziltro wrote:
Being on the south coast I'm probably a bit biased towards the south.

A real life meet up would be good.

Just from reading the forum, I reckon there are quite a lot of us in the deep south. It might be worth trying for South, Midlands and North get togethers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 15:34 
Life Member
Life Member

I have spoken to Claire she is coming down to Dorset and wants to meet everyone on a tour on her way back mid january.

I can host a hampshire meet up.
Who can host other gatherings?

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 22:56 
Site Admin

Plans :
25th + Andover way
? Essex Meeting - while here before visiting Pauls Dad.

about 30th with Paul's Dad (only family left). - 3rd or so ...

4th - 5th Dorset - Estate issues for about 10 days - 2 wks. If this was going
well I may hold a meeting in Dorset / nearby ....

about 18th onwards I am hoping to start to head E or N.
This is when we can hold these meetings ....
Starting South ....
? Bristol
? Southampton
? London
? Midlands
? Manchester
? Cumbria
? Borders / Yorkshire
? Edinburgh/Glasgow

I don't mind how big or small - if you want to see me I shall do everything in my power to be there.

Aims - Tribute to Paul (could be formal or informal) Can't think where he put the projector - sure there is an older one, but a new one I could borrow would be good for viewings of the little funeral.

Then if appropriate - developments for SafeSpeed - ideas & suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 
Life Member
Life Member

Hi, All
We have all got the feeling of being hit by a freight train losing Paul. I can honestly say that reading a few lines on a web page has never hit/hurt/angered me so much.

People might get the wrong impression that I am trying to take control of this situation for my own ego/agenda. My agenda is to ask the questions that aren’t being asked and rescue everything that can be rescued. I am best at problem solving and back room functions. I am hopeless at accurate facts and fast responses to the press. I want to go back to my roll as Hampshire trouble maker by the end of January.

In some ways we need to take our time kick-starting SafeSpeed, In other ways we need to do it ASAP before we lose Momentum. Claire wants to throw everything into Paul’s work.

Balancing act
Every thing in this process is a balancing act.
Claire: We have to be respectful to Claire’s wishes. Claire is very keen to talk about Paul and the way forward

Funds? It is a bit of a mess! Thank you for every one who has sent some money. Paul and Clare have been living on a shoe string. The reality is they have some big unpaid bills.
They had not got the heating sorted or the electric at coast view.
If we expect Claire to put in the hours that SafeSpeed needs to restart it we need to fund her enough to live in modest comfort. If any one could offer a supply of copper pipe or electric cable, plumbing time or electricians time. Dry line plasterer, Insulation?
It is a big ask, I know!

Who is going to front SafeSpeed? TV, Radio,Phone-ins & PR’s .That is up to you and Claire. I think you need to meet Claire on her tour. It will also be good training for Claire. I think Claire can do it but not for a few months. She has the passion. Can other cover specific subjects or regions?

The good news is Claire has significant web skills in her own right and knows and understands Paul’s Press release software.

Other ways to develop SafeSpeed.
We have to sort out funding. We cannot expect people to front our organisation living in poverty.
Deligation, more, less, the same?
The website front end and look. I know it is in progress, lets keep that work going… ?
Membership drive? More members , more profile and cash?
Corperate support?
Safespeed structure. Leader, committee, inner group? Support teams

Anton

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Last edited by anton on Sun Dec 23, 2007 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 13:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I think the priorities are:

Get Claire onto a stable footing to allow her to carry on without too much additional stress (You have enough as it is Claire)

Ensure the website and forum are stable and managed.

Ensure the technical aspects of other processes (PRs etc) are stable and managed.

I think the biggest task will be organisational. Claire can't replace Paul and we should not expect her to. We need, over the next few months sort out a proper organisational structure for the campaign, with groups and individuals taking responsibility for specific areas of work. One of Paul's few weaknesses was his reticence over delegation (bless him) and we can't let Claire get into the same state!

(I suppose what I'm saying is WE must be SafeSpeed, not just Claire on her own)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 13:31 
User

prof beard wrote:

Get Claire onto a stable footing to allow her to carry on without too much additional stress (You have enough as it is Claire)

Ensure the technical aspects of other processes (PRs etc) are stable and managed.

I think the biggest task will be organisational. Claire can't replace Paul and we should not expect her to. We need, over the next few months sort out a proper organisational structure for the campaign, with groups and individuals taking responsibility for specific areas of work. One of Paul's few weaknesses was his reticence over delegation (bless him) and we can't let Claire get into the same state!

:clap: :yesyes:

We must get things stable and secure - but at the same time not lose the PR momentum which keeps the name and campaign very much putting a spoke in the wheels of daft policy making.. with the aim of steering the policy makers back to reality of life. :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 13:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

mmltonge wrote:
Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:
Although right now I can't contibute financially (I hope, once my attempt at getting my business off the ground is successful, SS is still about to donate to, however) if those who are more in control feel it would help - I'd be more than happy to contribute by giving the site design a bit of tidy up. I'm a freelance web designer, and I'd love to help by organising it into a more presentable promotional tool.

Paul had someone working on a SafeSpeed lite version of his web site. He wanted to give his website a better look with less clutter, with a link to the original site. I don't know how they are getting on but he did say that they were a bit slow. He was also trying to come up with a different logo because people associated it with the SS (Germany). Maybe Claire will know how things were progressing.

Ok, no worries - but if you can't find out what's going on with the SS Lite, then as I said - more than happy to donate my time to a redesign and tidy up. Could also add some sort of CMS to allow quick adding of new PR's, stats and articles too!

Claire, Chaps, I don't know how the lite version is coming on (if at all) but, as mmltonge has offered his/her services, would it not be a good idea to let him/her take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 14:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:
Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:

Claire, Chaps, I don't know how the lite version is coming on (if at all) but, as mmltonge has offered his/her services, would it not be a good idea to let him/her take a look.

We do know where the SS Lite has got to - some of us have seen discussions Paul had with the chap in question - they will be going to Claire to have a look at shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 14:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

prof beard wrote:
Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:
Dixie wrote:
mmltonge wrote:

We do know where the SS Lite has got to - some of us have seen discussions Paul had with the chap in question - they will be going to Claire to have a look at shortly.

Thanks for the update prof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 15:20 
Life Member
Life Member

I agree with Anton.

I think we need a skills audit of the willing, so that people get slotted into correct and appropriate roles.

For me, one of the most important issues is who is going to step into Paul's shoes in terms of data analysis, which is IMHO the backbone of the campaign.

However, I do not think we should talk of future SS strategy/direction on an open forum. I think we should have a new area, where membership is invite-only/on application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 15:22 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

prof beard wrote:

Yes, absolutely :yesyes:

There are a lot of capable, committed people out there willing to help with SafeSpeed, so it must be seen as a team effort.

Also thanks to Anton for raising some potentially difficult but important questions.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 18:59 
User

I can host a small gathering at my place in SW London. I'd be happy to meet with you Claire if it came to be that my services were required on the site. But I'd love to be involved in other ways if I can in helping push the SS message in the region.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 20:37 
User

What CMS would you use for this?