Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Do you indicate when returning to lane on motorways?
Always 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
Always 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
Never 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Depends on density of traffic 29%  29%  [ 16 ]
Depends on density of traffic 29%  29%  [ 16 ]
Always stay in the outside lane 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Always stay in the outside lane 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never Overtake 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never Overtake 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 56
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 00:20 

Sorry Claire, i can't offer you a ride in my Zonda cos I don't have one but maybe if I did.....??? ;-)

However, since you asked nicely, I will contribute £45 for one of those nice Membership badges to go on the front if I ever do get one.... ;-)
Cheers,

G

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 00:56 
Site Admin

Ah dash - so much for that then ! Still the support will be welcome and when you do get a Zonda I would be delighted when passing to come and place a little badge on it very, very gently for you ! ;) Course I ought to have the stickers sorted out soon now that I am back for a few weeks anyway ! :)

I was thinking about the indicating or not on recent journeys and mostly do so when there is a need. Need is predominately when any other vehicle can be assisted or see my indicator.
When travelling on mostly empty motorways one to three clicks of the indicator might often suffice when it is used as a confirmation of action when only distant vehicles might 'benefit'. Full indication (indicator on) until manoeuvre completion when roads are any more occupied.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 13:41 

I must admit that someone else using an indicator probably stopped a potential accident once for me but in unusual circumstances.

I was driving down the M6 one dark evening in a parcelforce van , I was about to pull into the third lane to overtake a lorry when, looking in my mirror, i noticed a flashing indicator light behind me . it turned out to be on a tranny van, in the third lane, that had no other lights on at all and if it hadn't been for the indicator flash i probably wouldn't have spotted him in time.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 00:47 
Site Admin

Using an indicator to prevent someone from overtaking as they have perhaps not assessed a 'forward' situation sufficiently is rare but useful to be ready with when the need presents itself.
If the tranny van had no lights on a dark night how could he 'see' properly to drive or overtake ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 23:11 

There was sufficient overhead lighting to see where you were going but not really enough to pick out a vehicle with no lights on coming up in the distance behind you, well not until you knew it was there.... ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 01:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
graball wrote:
I must admit that someone else using an indicator probably stopped a potential accident once for me but in unusual circumstances.

I was driving down the M6 one dark evening in a parcelforce van , I was about to pull into the third lane to overtake a lorry when, looking in my mirror, i noticed a flashing indicator light behind me . it turned out to be on a tranny van, in the third lane, that had no other lights on at all and if it hadn't been for the indicator flash i probably wouldn't have spotted him in time.

Possibly the best advert for indicating when NO ONE CAN BE SEEN . -COULD JUST BE A VEHICLE THAT IS BEING STUPID .AND AN ACCIDENT WAS PREVENTED .

SAYS IT ALL ..............................AGAINST THE ADVICE OF IAM .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 03:23 
Site Admin

Not wishing to particularly take sides on indicating or not, he said that the van as I understand it was behind him, therefor although the indicator that the van driver (possibly to give him ) gave, helped him see him - he also states that there was street lighting too at this particular section of road. So the indicator helped to alert him of the van's presence, but the street lights also 'lit him up'.
I will take a stab too that it was possibly a white van which will have helped too (most visible) IF it was white of course ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 23:32 

It was the M6, somewhere around Birmingham so the usual motorway lighting for that type of area but it was a dark (blue or black, maybe green van)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 02:45 
Site Admin

Ok fair enough - did he have tail lights at all i.e. a fault with the front electrics, or damage from an accident ?
Do you think you were drawn to look in the mirror because of the movement and indicator, possibly seeing him in the 'corner of your eye' maybe ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:40 

No tail lights or lights of any sort, he had obviuosly started his journey in the light and simply "forgotten" to turn them on when it got dark, perhaps?
I was drawn to the mirror because I wanted to overtake and find it a "lifesaver" to do so.....I could tell you another story about that but will save it for a rainy day....;-)