Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:10 
New User
New User

Hi,

There is a new video promoting the future of transport in Manchester which is available to view online at http://www.21centurytransport.com/

Don't know if I've put this post in the right place but feel free to move/contact me :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 21:53 

I have left this posting with its link in order to not censor an opposing view.

I can only comment that the linked site claims to be powered by wind and that term is really appropriate.

The proposed Congestion Charge (Con Charge) is most definitely a con that will cost the motorists and council tax payers in Manchester dear.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 22:12 
User

Thank you SafeSpeed for not censoring the debate, after all, if any company was to do so, it would look very bad ;)

mb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 22:14 
Life Member
Life Member

I am totally against congestion charging as it just taxes the poor out of the cities and makes it harder for customers to get into the city centres. (Rather than providing free access to trade as the video implies) The millions or billions it will cost will be borne by the people and be added to the cost of products produced there making them less competitive.

Will Manchester goods as a result of these charges be competitive with Liverpool for example? Will potential customers bypass Manchester?

Your video is slick and inspirational in style but thin on detail of what transport will be provided and the cost of the transport or the alternative congestion charge.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 06:05 
Site Admin

Companies should never be coerced into doing anything, which they choose not to do so when they have a right to object to that action.

Congestion is naturally worked out by the vast majority of people and we have all done so for years. The Con charge is that - a con, obtaining extra money to line the Council (etc) pockets. Enabling further segregation of one section of society to another as one is persistently favoured over another.
Further buses in built up areas increases emissions not reduces them. London showed an economic downturn, it creates greater and lesser value, bands to areas surrounding those area/s. All for what exactly?
It makes many, many people's lives harder and more complicated, all so that more money can be taken by local authorities - how shameful. I have not seen any advantage to any ConCharge scheme. It is rare that making something over complicated makes it better too !

What is easier than to smoothly and efficiently jump in your car and drive yourself to a location, (parking outside), complete your task, and then to journey to the next location? To suggest that waiting about for a bus/train holding your belongings, and only being transported to certain points is more efficient use of my time and my energies is wrong, as it is not better.
Nor is it safer. Bus drivers are told when braking in an emergency to favour their own passengers than a pedestrian, so cars are safer for pedestrians too, as they will brake harder in an emergency than any bus ever will.
Buses/trains may have a place in society, but it should not be 'to the detriment' of other road users or other vehicle access areas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 19:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love the way they use the term modern to describe very old methods of transport.
To me that video is saying the future is in the past.