All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 13:14 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 03635.html

Motorway driving lesson plans announced by ministers

Published
21/12/2015

Learners would be offered the opportunity to take a motorway driving lesson with an approved driving instructor in a dual-controlled car under new proposals

Learner drivers will be given motorway experience with an instructor before they can pass their test under new plans announced by the Government.

The move, among a raft of changes designed to improve road safety, would be backed by a £2 million research scheme into driver education.

Currently, motorists are only allowed on the motorway once they have passed their practical exam.

However, under Department for Transport plans l earners would be offered the opportunity to take a motorway driving lesson with an approved driving instructor in a dual-controlled car.

Other plans include:

::to remove more dangerous drivers from the road by providing forces with money for enforcement;

:: An increase in penalties for drivers who use a handheld phone at the wheel, from three points to four, while fines would increase from £100 to £150;

:: A Government consultation on changes to improve cycling safety;

:: Strengthening compulsory basic training (CBT) for learner motorcyclists.

The Government said the proposals were designed to reduce the number of people killed and injured on the country's roads.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said: " Britain has some of the safest roads in the world but we are always looking to improve that record.

"Today we are delivering common-sense proposals that balance tougher penalties for dangerous drivers with practical steps to help youngsters and other more vulnerable groups stay safe on our roads."

Steve Gooding, director of the RAC Foundation, said: "One in five young drivers has an accident within six months of passing their test, so putting the learning process under the spotlight has to be a good thing.

"Mile-for-mile, motorways are our safest roads but can be intimidating places for novice drivers. Exploring ways of letting learners have controlled access to them is welcome.

"The important thing is the official seal of approval provided by the approved driving instructor who will accompany them down the slip-road.

"This is definitely not the time to have mum or dad in the passenger seat."

A series of consultations on the specific proposals will follow next year.

AA president Edmund King said: "The current situation whereby someone can pass their test in the morning, then drive alone on the motorway in the afternoon, without ever having driven on a motorway, is ridiculous. It makes sense that supervised learners should be allowed on motorways.

"Drug-driving is still the hidden killer and official police figures on the problem are only the tip of the iceberg. Extra help for the police to counter drug-driving is welcome and overdue."

Neil Greig, director of policy and research at the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: "This move makes perfect sense to the IAM. Motorways are our safest roads but require a whole new set of skills compared to those required to pass the test.

"It is far better for new drivers to gain those skills from an expert than to learn by trial and sometimes data error. Logistically motorway driving can never be compulsory but for the many who live close to them this offers a step change in their confidence and safety in our most important economic routes."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 00:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Great idea, BUT- if there's NSL DC in the area, then perhaps learners should be evaluated/TRAINED/EDUCATED on these FIRST.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 15:52 

That makes sense, Botach....BUT does sense still exist where traffic safety is involved????

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 23:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sense, Grabs- no ££ signs in road safety .Or so the scamerati would have you believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 00:09 
Site Admin

This will mean that ALL drivers will be required to go to a Motorway and to book an official lesson. For some this might be met with many problems - like the nearest motorway is many hours drive away! So this will become a 'day trip' if not an overnight stay, when they might never travel on one!
And although I think offering training for a motorway is good, is this really necessary. We have had the safest roads in the World without such training nor have those same roads worsened their safety record. But now we are told we should do this to retain safety, when we no longer have the safest roads in the World. Curious.
This is also a change to the prior arrangement where anyone who has passed the test and with sufficient years of experience, can teach another to drive.
Are all instructors good and correct and definitely always better than others - I'd not agree, certainly not always. So if we now need motorway training all of a sudden what is the purpose, how far different is it really, than 'a 3 lane dual carriageway'...?
Surely we ought to look at other training errors/areas, if people are entering motorways unprepared. And what proof is there that they are? Are motorway accidents caused by someone who has failed to comprehend the road system ?And then on many occasions?
You can buy motorway training now.
Don't think I'm that convinced by this, nor do I see why they have pushed for it? It's something they can change so they have?

There is nothing here to address the 'DUI' issue whatsoever though!

Whilst I welcome additional education by looking at improving learner training, will on the other hand, raising fines deter people, unlikely. Then the speed-a courses costs will increase to be equal to the £150.... of that I am sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 00:26 
Site Admin

and ... if they are going to provide funds for police enforcement will this finally see a return to (proper well trained) Police Patrols ? :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 01:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not convinced that Motorways are the best place to get experience of more than one lane driving. I hail from the county where one of the last Single track ( with passing places) was the norm ,when I learned to drive and for a lot of years after. But,I learned to pass my test in a large City ( Scotland's no 2) , where there are a lot of DC. Basicly, IMHO- there's little difference between two lanes and three. OK- there's entering a motorway, and getting off, but if there's training on GSJ DC, junctions, then there's little difference.