Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 13:04 
User

:gatso2: From the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... t-93653288

Motorist who pulled into the bus lane to let a speeding ambulance on an emergency pass her is shocked to be given a £60 fine

Lynne Plaxton noticed the ambulance approaching and moved out its way
Motorist said it was 'natural instinct' to let an emergency vehicle get past
She was then shocked to be landed with a £60 fine for entering a bus lane
Council warned she would have to launch official appeal to contest fine

By Hannah Parry For Mailonline

Published: 11:28, 28 July 2015 | Updated: 12:55, 28 July 2015

Lynne Plaxton, 50, was hit with a fine after she moved out of the way of a speeding ambulance

A motorist who pulled into the bus lane to allow a speeding ambulance past was furious to be landed with a £60 fine.

Lynne Plaxton said it was 'natural instinct' to move out the way after she saw the emergency vehicle in her rear view mirror as she travelled home on Anlaby Road flyover in west Hull.

So the 50-year-old was shocked when a fixed penalty notice arrived which stated she was being fined for driving in the bus lane to allow the ambulance to pass.

Ms Plaxton has now hit out the 'ludicrous' fine and is calling on the local authority to waive it.

But Hull Council said that while they could consider her 'mitigating circumstances', the motorist would have to submit a formal appeal.

'I want to warn other drivers that pulling into a bus lane to let an ambulance through could get them into trouble,' said Ms Plaxton, from Hull.

'I think it's ludicrous that someone doing exactly what I did could end up facing a £60 fine.

'I called the council about it but they just said if it had been a normal notice I could have submitted an appeal.

'I don't think it's right and I'm sure others would agree with me.'
Enforcement rules on the flyover operate from 7am to 9.30am for routes into Hull city centre and from 4pm to 6.30pm for all routes out, although blue light vehicles, motorcycles, pedal cycles and taxis are also permitted in the bus lanes.

Traffic cameras are equipped with automatic number plate recognition technology, allowing the council to trace owners immediately.

The motorist was driving home when she noticed the emergency vehicle in her rear view mirror as she travelled on Anlaby Road flyover in west Hull, and quickly manoeuvred out of the way into the bus lane

So she was shocked when a fixed penalty notice arrived which stated she had been caught on camera encroaching into the bus lane

Ms Plaxton warned that other drivers also moved out of the way of the ambulance so were also likely to have been hit was fines.

'I've always pulled over to allow emergency vehicles through,' she added. 'It was a natural instinct to pull over into the inside lane and, to be honest, I had forgotten all about it until the fixed penalty notice arrived in the post.

'A couple of drivers behind me did the same thing so I can only assume they have got the same warning notice as me.'

Ms Plaxton's manoeuvre was captured and her notice included three still images taken from the footage.

It stated: 'Details of this incident will be retained and may be considered should you contest the service of a bus lane penalty charge notice in the future.'

A spokesman for Hull Council said Ms Plaxton would need to submit an appeal before they would assess the case.

'Where a motorist has taken evasive action to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle this would clearly constitute mitigating circumstances for consideration,' he said.

'However, as no details of the incident were provided we were not able to look at the specific circumstances.

'If a motorist would like to appeal a bus lane ticket they need to appeal by completing the notice sent to them and posting it to the address on the notice. All appeals will be assessed on a case by case basis.'

AND....Highway Code Rule 219 states -

Emergency and incident support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 22:23 
User

The way we are going this Country will strangle itself applying petty rules, common sense seems a thing of the past. Which is more important a bus being held up or an ambulance? :headbash:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 01:08 
Site Admin

It looks like she was issued with a 14day notice, not an enforceable ticket.
However the Council must really make it that all tickets like this are never ever even issued in the first place! Anything less is shameful.
https://recombu.com/cars/article/woman- ... lance-pass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 18:28 

Typical council employee, no common sense and can only work by the instruction book.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 00:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
This sort of thing will continue, till some sort of legal action is taken against those issuing penalties for using common sense . I'm not looking for praise, but today, I was stopped at a set of pedestrian lights, when I spotted a paramedic on lights, faced with a line of traffic . No way could he get past this ,as there were a few road dividers on his side. I simply sat still, wound window down and flagged following traffic to stay, then flashed him through. My time delay- couple of minutes, and my reward- a BIG wave from the responder.
IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE to make room for these folks. PERHAPS, instead of learners wasting time on underbonnet checks, they should be taught WHAT to do when a blue light appears behind them. And IT'S NOT THE CPL Jones approach of "DON'T PANIC".