Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:07 
User

abueloeddie wrote:
Good morning all. This is my first posting to these fora, and I would like to send my belated condolences to the partner and family of the late Paul Smith. I have heard a lot about this gentleman and his campaign for better road safety through my membership of another wide ranging forum.

I agree entirely with the late Paul Smith's views and would welcome a new initiative of driver training which would form part of a national curriculum aimed at teaching young people the rudiments of road safety at 5yrs old and progressively going up to vehicle control , so that the young person arrived at his/ her 16 th. birthday, and Driving Test Centre, with at least 10 years of learning "in the bank"

I believe that this method of early learning is current in the USA. My travels in that country have been limited to just 4 holidays,( in a rented "R/V") but my wife an I both commented on the high standard of driving and generally good standard of vehicle control we came across .

I will find the "newbie's" Forum where I will introduce myself further, so as not to clutter up this forum

Liebchen :welcome:

We have an intro thread in "Chat" .

Paulie was a very decent person und ist missed. It testament to his work that folk feel so.

My heart goes out to Claire. She in our thoughts very much. Wishing her well all the time.

:love:

Vrenchen.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 13:11 
Life Member
Life Member

The Telegrapgh Published a few words

Quote:
Road safety experts die
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 29/12/2007

Paul Smith, the founder of pressure group SafeSpeed, has died at the age of 52.

The former engineer believed that road safety should be based on collated evidence, not ideology and contrived statistics.

He successfully campaigned against the burgeoning deployment of speed cameras and reductions in traffic police levels in the UK.

Ted Clements, the Institute of Advanced Motorists' road-safety adviser and former IAM chief examiner has died aged 77.
A much-loved figure in road-safety circles, Ted examined everyone from royalty to racing drivers (even motoring correspondent, Andrew English) in the IAM test.

He acted as police adviser on the police TV series, Dixon of Dock Green, and was awarded the MBE in 1989 for his services to road safety.

Our condolences to both men's friends and family.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 20:55 
User

There ist also a very decent page dedicated to Paulie in MCN of 28 December with the best of the on-line condolences on their website forum.

They also have published a photo of Paulie too.

Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 13:10 
User

Although Paul and I didn't see eye to eye on the road safety, I was deeply saddened to hear of his untimely death which has come as a great shock.
Pauls work will stand as an inspiration which I am sure will generate debate for many years to come.
I would like to wish Pauls family the strength and courage to get them though the comming days and weeks.
Tom Heavey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 23:59 
User

Tom Heavey wrote:
Although Paul and I didn't see eye to eye on the road safety, I was deeply saddened to hear of his untimely death which has come as a great shock.
Pauls work will stand as an inspiration which I am sure will generate debate for many years to come.
I would like to wish Pauls family the strength and courage to get them though the comming days and weeks.
Tom Heavey.

I too would like to add my very belated condolences to Claire and the family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 18:03 
User

Tom Heavey wrote:
Maybe on another thread..

Liebchen

:welcome: I think everyone feel for Claire's loss und genuinely saddened by the loss of a good pal who genuinely concerned for improving things realistically.

But do join in the many debates on here as it do with discussion und tweaking up the campaign as appropriate after all.

Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:30 
Life Member
Life Member

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/21436 ... 52007.html

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 04:11 
Site Admin

Well, my love you have now been physically gone for a month. How very stange. My life has altered, changed beyond thought. My life is lonely and I miss you so very, very much with every waking breath, far beyond the words can possibly express.
Your spirit is with me whenever I seek it and even when I don't. My heart yearns for your return - yet I know that this is not going to be so .... but I know that you are near forever. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 04:28 

We're all still thinking of you and your loss,
and of Paul and our loss.

I don't know if you have any belief, but I (as a very lapsed catholic) often think of / pray for you both.

There are no words, I can comfort you with, so I won't try.

Thinking of you
fatboytim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 13:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I really feel for you so much Claire.

In all my years, if there's one thing I have learnt it is that if we love someone, we should tell them.

You very obviously shared so much love with Paul, a lifetime's worth, which I think is just wonderful! :)

When I lost my dear mum, it was only when she was in hospital and I was by her bedside that I could finally say "I love you mum" whilst holding her hand. I couldn't even look at her because I didn't want her to see me crying as I choked the words out. Her reply was "I know". Of course she did, but I wish I'd said it more just the same. She was so stoical and brave and loving, and so many other things I wished I'd said. She was also very Victorian and the way she brought us up you just didn't/couldn't say these things, sadly.

I guess I'm just trying to say, in my own clumsy way, you and Paul got to share 23 wonderful years together during which you said and shared everything and I hope it will always be a comfort to you. I'm sure it will :)

Take care

Love Tony

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 20:24 
Site Admin

You are all so very sweet it warms my breaking heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 22:36 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
You are all so very sweet it warms my breaking heart.

Claire

:love:

I only thought this morning that it was just 4 long weeks for you and hoped the shock was easing up a little for you.

I know the pain of grief will take longer to heal - and even then - a shallow healing for a while. Try to concentrate only on the positive future and the good memories. You remember your loved ones forever.

Paul does not know that he met me once at some road safety meeting. I am sure his spirit knows that his personality made an impact.

This is perhaps why folk who only "knew" him via the internet feel a genuine sadness at his loss.

But we are concerned for you and very supportive for you and your health and welfare.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 09:16 
Site Admin

Well now we are another 4 weeks along - I can barely believe that it was 8 weeks ago.
So much has happened. Every second of every day, and every minute of every hour, and every hour of every day I miss you and love you still.

The desperate lonely feelings, and hours of lost conversations, and lack of care & love, from you, that no one can replace, leave me to know what true loss is. You can never be replaced.
I know that you are gone, your empty chair and cup, and cold bed tell me so, all the time. My uncorrected and unanswered conversations, add to the impact of being alone. Your hand no longer finds it way over to me, and your wonderful, comforting hugs, so longer surround me - I am alone.
I miss you. I will forever miss you.

And yet in a strange way - I still know that you are there, I can feel you around, I just have to look and to concentrate. It is not the same and I wonder if my creative imagination is playing tricks on my breaking heart.

Like you there is never enough time in the day, and like you, I work like crazy, but still, have even more to do the following day. But I will do my best for you, and for those that may die if I don't.

We had a great time, even through all the ups and downs, and with many more ups than downs, we truly always had true love.
You will always be mine, I will always be yours.

The desolation and hurt that I feel, I know you wanted to spare me from, but failed. One of the (very), few things you couldn't and cannot fix, or at least, not until we meet again, as I told you, I think we meet everyone (good people anyway) after death.

I still care for you, as you were here. I miss you, be close by me.
Claire xx :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 20:47 
Site Admin

Well at the moment, just 11 weeks on, collating all the bits of my shattered heart seem impossible. Now I truly know the meaning of a broken heart and heart ache. To say that I simply miss you, has to be the biggest understatement, of the Century.
You dwell in my mind and surround my heart, and the invisible hugs and your presence, keep me from the total despair that I feel. These last two weeks have seen many additional emotional issues, and this has made things worse.

I hope that you like my helm of your Campaign, your supporters and friends have been a God-Send. With each passing moment our life beside one another is further away, but a new closeness, warmth and peace grows.
Forever hold me as the tears stream from my face, and as I tackle this new and very altered and lonely life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 18:35 
Site Admin

I sit in the place you ate, I wish to make you tea. I think on the habits of our lives, I watch your space, but you are not there. I see your life and all about you, yet I cannot find you. I think on the last moments of our life and know that a one last hug and kiss, would never have been enough.
So I contemplate the past, and try to find some comfort there, but I am wretched with grief and loneliness, I am weary with pain and sorrow at your early demise. I know as I am told, that times will deaden this blow, but my life without you, shall forever be incomplete.
I hope when I pass that we shall join again, as I believe to be the case. I miss you now and forever, my soul mate, true friend and my dearest love.
May your spirit be my guide and remain by my side.

------------------
He is Gone
by Anon.

You can shed tears that he is gone
or you can smile because He has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that He'll come back
or you can open your eyes and see all he's left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see him
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can trun your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember Him and only that He's gone
or you can do what He'd want : smile, open your eye, love and go on.

Post subject: Re: Condolences
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:25 
Site Admin

Be still my aching heart, I remain yours.
May I find you one day and be at peace as I hope you are already.
I love you now and forever - I miss you so much.

I hope what I do is in some way sufficient to be worthy of the Campaign.
May the future Campaign grow from strength to strength as I take it forward.
I will always remember you. You are a legend. xx.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 14:20 
Site Admin

And so another year passes.
It seems so unreal.

You are very much remembered and never forgotten.
I miss you. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 09:14 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Today is the tenth anniversary of Paul's death :cry:

I certainly haven't forgotten him - a passionate, inspirational, single-minded, occasionally infuriating man, totally one of a kind.

I remember "smeggy" calling me at work to give me the sad news :(

My thoughts will be with you today, Claire :love:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 18:22 
Site Admin

Thank you Peter.
I remember and miss him every day. Just gut wrenching.
Seems unreal that this year will be 11 yrs ! So much crazy stuff has happened to me.
Thank you for remembering and your kind wishes it's much appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 17:17 
Site Admin

Today 15years ago Paul passed away. As my true soulmate, I still miss him so very much. There really will never be another like him.
Such a sad tragic loss. He was making so many question their 'belief' in speed cameras and the whole industry growing up around it. I'll keep trying to do all that I can.
Sadly Idris passed away too, (he too had buried his head in the Stats too and I will post up his findings and pages too), but there are others still fighting and I hope between us we will continue to keep the fight going.

I hope Paul would be proud of all that I've tried to do, I like to think so. :scratchchin: :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9