Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nearly T-boned
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 19:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cycling to work yesterdee from my dinner break. I have to across a mini roundabout, it has 3 exits. As I approach it, my exit for straight on, it straight on and there is a road to the left. It has been a T - junction in its time by the looks and I'd say straight on always had right of way.

Anyroad... I am approaching the roundabout (I am right over to the right), nothing is coming toward me, and as is tradition I proceed forward. There is a car approaching to the left, but they are supposed to give way to me, and she's a fair way back and she will has seen me, Shirley.

I am now on the round about and the car approaching the roundabout doesn't seem to be slowing much. She doesn't to be slowing at all in fact. She's now on the roundabout and the penny has just dropped. She did look a bit shocked, I guess it was my fault for appearing out of a crack in the tarmac while she wasn't looking.

Put a speed camera there, that'll sort it. :roll:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Nearly T-boned
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:23 

No doubt, one or both of you, were "speeding"...lol

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 17:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There's an island not far from my home which is notorious for cyclist KSI. Seen the aftermath myself once. :(

The trouble, apart from stupid drivers, is that the island is very large so drivers can, and do, go into and around it at speed.

There are both :30: and NSL :70: DCs roads attached to/from it and cars often go around the island at more than 30mph. It sounds fast for an island but It's so big even your granny may be doing that much. :shock:

As much as I hate traffic lights at islands, It's probably the answer I'm sorry to say. (Unless anyone can come up with a better solution?)

To be fair and balanced, I've seen cyclists entering the island at a speed I'd personally think twice about doing.

Glad you're okay Adam.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 08:30 
Supporter
Supporter

Reinforces your point that "cycling is for losers" big time. :D

Glad you survived. Take care

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 08:48 
User

why did you continue when it became clear she wasn't slowing / stopping ?
surely the safest thing to do would have been to stop rather than hold your line just because you expect to be give right of way ?

(just reflecting on other cycling discussions where people appear to be criticised for expecting other road users to behave correctly)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 22:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
why did you continue when it became clear she wasn't slowing / stopping ?
surely the safest thing to do would have been to stop rather than hold your line just because you expect to be give right of way ?

(just reflecting on other cycling discussions where people appear to be criticised for expecting other road users to behave correctly)

My right of way

I was already on the round about a long time (relatively) before she was there

I'm not Lance Armstrong and I'm not going very fast, so it's not like I nipped across like I was on my motor bike

I was looking right at her while I cycled across, keeping my eye on her, she looking, but not seeing.

Some silly old cow did something similar this AM, the van behind her was watching and just shook his head.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 21:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last week I am on a round about and a nice old gold Roller is approaching said roundabout. Nice Roller, thinks I. I'd made eye contact and the silly old bugger just kept coming, then the penny dropped that he needed to stop :roll:. He was a good way on the roundabout when he twigged and where I wanted to be, but no harm was done. He also was in the left lane (out of two) and turned right :doh: