Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SPEED CAMERAS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 09:05 
New User
New User

Speed Cameras( ie; Ticket machines). I dont know any road tax payer who sanctioned the spending of this vast amount of money. I think EVERY road tax payer would vote for all the camers to be used only to detect ROAD TAX EVADERS, which causes those who do abide by the rules, and pay our dues a lot more expense. If the GOV. does not stop the police from this exorbitant expenditure ALL road tax payers should park up there cars and send there TAX DISC back for a refund and this would cause such havoc to the GOV. (because they use 4 fifths of the money for other things).
Motorists are in control if your a ROAD TAX PAYER and all stick together. :clap: VOTE NOW

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SPEED CAMERAS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 13:19 
Supporter
Supporter

Perhaps the "Tax Disc" could be part of the engine management computer - no tax: car won't start. Do the same for insurance too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 14:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No no no! :bounce1:

Me again bud :D

It should be part of the fuel. No fuel, car won't start. Less admin, no paperwork, less fuss, more proportionate to what is actually ripping the roads up… :bighand:

Come on, ya gotta give it me this time or else Image

:lol:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 15:29 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
Come on, ya gotta give it me this time or else Image

:lol:

You win you great bully Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 16:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ah you don’t fool me with them crocodile tears. :mrgreen: You’d slap me as much as look at me. :D

It is hard to argue against putting it on fuel though and get away from this infernal road tax nonsense once and for all. The only argument I’ve ever heard for it was as a check that you have had an MOT, (for what that is sometimes worth), although it’s entirely possible to have road tax without an MOT for many months.

With the advent of ANPR and the information super-state it seems quite draconian in these hi-tech days to still be going around with a grotty piece of paper stuck inside a window when a quick registration check will reveal more about me and my vehicle than I know myself. Image

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 16:55 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
Ah you don’t fool me with them crocodile tears. :mrgreen: You’d slap me as much as look at me. :D

No I am a big softy. Bark worse than bite.

Quote:
It is hard to argue against putting it on fuel though and get away from this infernal road tax nonsense once and for all.

From a pragmatic point of view fuel tax is the easiest. But for fairness road pricing is best - pay for the road when you use it according to the perceived value of the road. My biggest gripe is people who "garage" their cars on the public road entirely free of charge. Those cars are on the road virtually 24 hours a day 365 days a year whereas my car is on the road a few hours a week. But we both pay the same road tax.[/quote[

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
dcbwhaley wrote:
Those cars are on the road virtually 24 hours a day 365 days a year whereas my car is on the road a few hours a week. But we both pay the same road tax.[/quote[

TUT- TUT- you'll get us oldies a bad name .Keep up there ,it's not "Road Tax".That's not PC ,since Mr Brown decided that all cars were equal(but some could get whacked more than others). And reading between the lines, talk like that might see a PAYG tax system( OOPS- sorry that's road pricing :D )
Just picked this one up,so aps to DCB. I'm now ,likewise. I've got a car- bought and paid for. So extras are VED+Insurance and fuel . (and yearly oil change). So at present, VED = APPROX £2 a week. Insurance =£3 a week. Factor in £10 of fuel ( enough for a few trips to shops,and walky doggy). £15 per week. I've got a bus pass,but Mrs is too "young" . Return fare to town is £3. (And they charge for dogs ,too).( I digress,but, I could remark on Turpin and Stagcoach).

Problem seems that Police (and regulatory folks) have jumped into the electronic age, but DVLA are in some sort of time warp. They like the ease that electronics gives them to sting folks,but if they gave up the paper side, how many staff would they loose. Cuts in departments, means smaller depts =less managers. And as DVLA is a product of ye olde Civil Service(Civil to who ?). Forget it .