The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 15:37 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/n ... d-11134530

Quote:
A new rural speed zone is set to be brought in as a pilot which could be rolled out across the borough.

Cheshire East has decided to ask the government’s Department of Transport to approve a proposal to allow a new 40mph zone on roads in an area which includes part of Chelford and Jodrell Bank. This would reduce the speed limit down from 60mph on affected roads.

It comes after coun George Walton, who represents Chelford for Cheshire East, raised the issue of speeding on roads in his ward.

He said: “Residents were concerned about speeding and we got the speed limit on the A50 between Knutsford and Holmes Chapel and A537 Macclesfield and Knutsford changed to 50mph but then I asked to have a blanket 40mph zone on the lanes in my ward.

“The zone agreed is only in the middle of my ward so does not cover all the lanes which is disappointing but it’s a pilot which can be rolled out to other places.

“It’s about calming people down on our rural roads.

“You just need to look at all the holes in the hedges. People need saving from themselves.”

A complete waste of money that will just clutter the roads up with signs and paint and make no difference in the real world. Plus the level of enforcement is likely to vary between minimal and non-existent.

I also wonder whether these blanket 40 mph zones in places like Dartmoor have ever been tested in court by the likes of Nick Freeman :scratchchin:

Cheshire East Council are already notorious for their draconian speed limit policy which has led to the vast majority of the rural A-roads in the area, even the high-quality ones, being reduced to :50:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 00:57 
Site Admin

At 20mph lower than the standard speed for that type of road will not reduce the speed by much - I agree. Research has previous pointed to the fact that people only alter their speed by 1mph...
If the problem is the behaviour of drivers/road users then they are not addressing the real problem but trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing.

It's all too easy to 'blame speed', when it is the behaviour of people that is really in question.
If someone's judgement is no longer 'good' then that needs addressing.

VAS /SID are good for roads and help teach by reminder drivers of their speed.

But speed isn't the main problem it's behaviour to the environmental conditions.
And I'd hazard a guess that it's the occasional driver not the vast majority.

So again - if they spent the money on a few good police patrols then this would likely see a reduction in 'bad behaviours'. :)

Profile Send private message