Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Light
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 21:03 
New User
New User

I made a mistake at a set of traffic lights and ran through a red light which also has a electronic Gatso. It was in nottingham on the a610 on the stockhill lane intersection.

Can anyone confirm that electronic Gatso cameras are nearly always active.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Red Light
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 22:15 

Hi there, and welcome. I can't confirm with any certainty I'm afraid. I think if you haven't had anything through the post in a fortnight, you're probably safe though. If you haven't already done so, there's a site called pepipoo which has a fair bit of information on legal proceedings:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 01:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
no doubt, our resident harbinger of doom( AKA Cap't Pugwash,AKA greensleeves) will be along to say how many kittens/rabbits and possibly children the OP has decimated, but I always thought that there was a set time before the red light cameras became active. But ,IF you are the registered keeper of said vehicle and DVLA records are up to date, then there is a limit(AFAIK) to days to send out invoices. As Mole said-http://www.pepipoo.com/ are the experts, BUT one thing to be aware of is that greensleeves will have noted your post, and he DOES love to trawl on here and pepipo ,so be CAREFUL/VERY CAREFUL of giving out info on open forum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 01:29 
Site Admin

Welcome richard978 :)

Is this the one that you are referring to ?
http://nottspeed.com/CMS_content/items/ ... cklane.htm

Listing : http://nottspeed.com/CMS_content/items/ ... ionsa.html
---
A610 Nuthall Island, junction with A610, Nottingham, SW bound
A610 Nuthall Island, (outbound), Nottingham, W bound
A610 Nuthall Island, (inbound), Nottingham, E bound
A610 Nuthall Road – Stockhill Lane, Nottingham, E bound
---

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Dicing-de ... story.html

The ten worst junctions for running a red light in Nottinghamshire
By Nottingham Post | Posted: June 30, 2015 By Ellie Cullen

The junction is the worst in Notts for running a red light

The ten worst junctions for drivers going through red lights have been revealed – and an average of six motorists a day get caught out at the worst.

Cameras on the A610 at Nuthall Island clocked 1,976 people running red lights last year on the eastbound carriageway alone, according to a Freedom of Information request submitted by the Post.

And another 563 were snapped jumping red lights travelling away from the city.
The number of offenders was almost double that of the second-worst junction – the A6514/Vernon Road in Basford – where 1,098 were caught.

Philip Owens, a Nuthall councillor who campaigned for the cameras, said: "The statistics show there are still plenty of people prepared to disobey the law.
"I drive on the roundabout frequently and see people going through red lights all the time. I think they should increase the fines."

Red light cameras were installed at Nuthall in 1998. Since then, the number of people killed or seriously injured at the junction has been cut by 65 per cent.
But Chief Inspector Andy Charlton, head of roads policing in Notts, said: "It's disappointing that we still seem to be catching drivers running red lights. People need to realise that it does lead to death."

A total of 128 lorries were caught jumping the Nuthall lights last year.

HGV trainer Ian Markwick, who owns a driving school in Main Street, Newton, said: "There's no excuse for it, especially when you're in a lorry. The stopping distance for an HGV is longer than a car, so they need to accommodate for that. If you're being an 'amber gambler', think about the person who might set off quickly when the lights turn green – a car colliding with a lorry won't stand a chance."

Russell Foley, 44, who lives near the junction on Temple Drive, uses the roundabout nearly every day. He said: "Drivers often approach the junction at high speed and just go for it. It's a complicated roundabout and I'm sure some don't even realise they're going through a red light."

Drivers face a £100 fine and three points on their licence if they are caught. The island cameras raised at least £20,000 – money that goes back into road safety – last year .

Gareth Coles, Nottinghamshire County Council's team manager for highway safety, said: "Nuthall Island is the second-busiest roundabout in the county with 40,000 vehicles a day going through it, so drivers who are running the lights risk being involved in a nasty – and potentially fatal – collision."

The top ten worst junctions in Notts for drivers running a red light last year were:
1. A610 Nuthall Island eastbound 1,976 drivers caught

2. A6514 Vernon Road junction 1,098
3. A6514 Western Boulevard/ A610 Nuthall Road junction 877
4. A38 Kings Mill Road East/ Kirkby Rd, Kirkby-in-Ashfield 598 drivers

5. A610, Nuthall Road junction with Stockhill Lane 592
6. A610 Nuthall Island westbound 563 drivers

7. Alfreton Rd/Hartley Rd junction 457
8. Lower Parliament St /Southwell Rd junction 365
9. Hucknall Rd/Haydn Road, Sherwood 357
10. A6009 St Peter's Way/St Johns St, Mansfield 268

and
http://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/si ... 5%2014.pdf

This makes me consider why are so many running a red light?
Are the settings too close to the Amber - is the Amber on for long enough?
Are people seeing the traffic lights fully and properly or is their immediate attention considering something else?
Generally people don't deliberately run a red.

You have 14 days (inclusive) to wait to see if there is anything in the post - unless your vehicle is a Company one in which case it can be up to 6 months!

You won't see a flash. Yes the cameras are typically on, unless there is a fault or they rotate them, but that's less heard of with red light one's. Being digital they take less maintenance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 
New User
New User

Yes its the stockhill lane junction/cross roads on the a610. It's very confusing as there is a left filter which you can just see from van and the main light in front was obstructed because of the sun being so low in the sky that i needed my visor down.

Someone told me that they rotate the cameras but my thoughts are they have enough cameras to keep the most profitable ones going. Its a company van so I'll probably get a ticket in about a month.

I've had a clean licence for over 15 years and I drive 30,000 miles a year. I find these cameras so bloody frustrating as it had nothing to do with deliberately running a red light and more to do with badly designed traffic lights. But try and contest them and you will just end up with a bigger fine and court costs.

My council is cutting all manner of services but there seems to be a bottomless money pit for speed cameras. Even the M1 is now littered with them despite it being the safest motorway in the country. I thought this government promised to stop them?

At the end of the day I'll have the take the points which now last 3 years and hope that I don't get 3 more as my job you get the sack at 6 points.Then I'll have to turf my 2 year daughter and wife onto the streets because I won't be able to pay the mortgage. Maybe I'll start dealing crack cocaine or meth because they all seem to drive around unhindered by the law.