Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 13:11 
Life Member
Life Member

A 'blue sky' and possibly mad idea...

Would speed limits work if they had a range modifier?

If the sign displays 60/20 that would mean that the range of appropriate (85%) speeds, in good conditions, for this signed section of road, will lie between 40 and 80mph.

If there is no secondary number then the range value should be considered to be 10mph.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 17:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

An idiot or someone in a desperate hurry would always use the upper limit, even if inappropriate. (If I understand your suggestion Toltec?).

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 17:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Sorry, but I think this contributes to the misguided idea that numerical speed as such is an important factor in road safety.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 18:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Surly you mean it is an important factor Peter, just not the only or main one :wink:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 20:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Speed relative to the conditions is, numerical speed as such isn't. Most people could drive entirely safely without a working speedometer.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 21:07 

Quote:
Most people could drive entirely safely without a working speedometer.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 00:05 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
An idiot or someone in a desperate hurry would always use the upper limit, even if inappropriate. (If I understand your suggestion Toltec?).

Do some drivers not already do that?

PeterE wrote:
Sorry, but I think this contributes to the misguided idea that numerical speed as such is an important factor in road safety.

The idea is partly to point out the opposite, that the speeds you need to be doing will vary and cannot be addressed by a single number. The other part of it is that the value for range should indicate the difficulty or complexity of the road ahead, the larger the range, the greater the hazards the driver will need to address.

PeterE wrote:
Speed relative to the conditions is, numerical speed as such isn't. Most people could drive entirely safely without a working speedometer.

I agree and would even add that many drivers would actually drive slower on certain types of road if they did not have a number to aim for. Realistically we are not going to get rid of speed limits, but maybe this would undermine the idea that you can stick a single number on a road and say it is to do with safety.