Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 13:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 21:45 
User

Teenage driver crashed killing himself and friend 'as he raced home to beat insurance company-imposed curfew monitored by on-board computer'

:headbash:

mb

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 23:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Cue an old cartoon I proposed ,in that the driver was said to be under the influence of ,not Drink, but of a bad national driving policy. This kid was killed by a failure of UK driving policy and strict admittance to a failed policy . HOW many more young lives will be taken before this lot realise that education comes first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They did not allow for the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In this person's mind it was more important to beat the curfew than drive safely. It's rather like the NHS where meeting an arbitrary target is more important than looking after patients.

The same logic might be applied to blind obedience to motoring laws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 07:50 
User

can't have been a factor surely... he was only doing 57 in a 60. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 08:36 

Mr Pain’s mother Rebecca wrote:
Mr Pain’s mother Rebecca said she felt the speeding condition should be lowered.
‘It gives them too much leeway - 50 per cent is too high,’ Mrs Pain said. ‘It needs to be more like the police rules, which are 10 per cent over, plus 2mph.’...............She also believes that learner drivers should be taught to drive at a speed suitable for the conditions, rather than driving to a speed limit.
‘These country roads have a 60mph speed limit but it is not safe to drive at that speed,’ she said. ‘He was going 57mph at the time of his accident, but he was going above the speed limit.
‘At the time of Ollie's accident it was also wet roads, there were leaves, and everyone here knows it is a road notorious for lots of deer. Kids need to be taught to drive for the individual conditions.’

It seems that Mrs Pain has more idea about road safety than the insurance companies.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 19:43 
User

ed_m wrote:
can't have been a factor surely... he was only doing 57 in a 60. :roll:

It is not easy to say from a single picture, but 57 along this lane does not seem an appropriate speed for the conditions to me. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 13:37 
Site Admin

You don't have to be taught to every individual condition ! You have to be taught to learn how to recognise hazards and drive so that you can stop in the distance that you know to be clear !!!

People learn by experience, he clearly failed to allow for conditions, but as an inexperienced driver he will not have gained that knowledge (notorious for deer!?) for himself. But he probably knew that he was driving beyond his capabilities in order to prevent a fine!
I detest these things and this is a prime example of why !

If his speed was 57mph when he crashed then one might guess that he was going faster and he had already braked or been braking. Perhaps if he had been on a skid course he might have been able to control the skid ! :(
Perhaps Rebecca ought to be calling for a ban on the black boxes! :( I know I state whenever I can that they have no place in anyone's car. Just appalled and saddened that he felt he had to take this bad risk and miscalculated. The fault is not with the speed allowance but this awful system teaching exactly the wrong things.