Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 03:26 
Site Admin

The 70mph skateboarder: Dardevil sets off speed camera on downhill ride and may now be charged by South African police
Decio Lourenco, 24, was filmed celebrating as he set off a speed camera
Was speeding at 68mph zone in the video clip
Filmed by a friend using a camera attached to his car bumper

By Jill Reilly - PUBLISHED: 09:21, 8 February 2013 | UPDATED: 12:52, 8 February 2013

Caught out: Decio Lourenco, 24, is facing prosecution
A skateboarder is facing arrest over a video posted on YouTube showed him careering down a busy road at 68 mph - fast enough to set off a speed camera
Decio Lourenco, 24, is facing prosecution as the South African city's safety authorities say he could have caused a major crash on the mountain road.
Mr Lourenco's video, filmed at sunset on January 20, saw him race down Kloof Nek Road between Table Mountain and Lion's Head, in Cape Town.

Motorists on the opposite side have their headlights on as he hurtles down the mountain road in fading light.
It was filmed by friend and fellow skater André Roux, using a camera attached to his car bumper.

Despite safety concerns, Mr Lourenco, a graphic design student insists that he took all possible precautions wearing a helmet and gloves.
He says that he specifically picked a quiet time of day, but he still weaves dangerously across the road as cars drive past.
Jean-Pierre Smith, Cape Town's safety and security spokesman, is pushing for a punishment saying he had put other road users at risk.
'All that was needed was for one of those motorists to panic and swerve into the oncoming traffic and you have a large number of deaths, as we have already had on that road,' he said according to The Daily Telegraph.

Scroll down for video
Dangerous: A skateboarder is facing arrest over a video posted on YouTube of him showed careering down a street at 68 mph - fast enough to set off a speed camera
Daring: Motorists on the opposite side have their headlights on as he hurtles down the mountain road in fading light
He said he had asked the Director of Public Prosecutions to charge Mr Lourenco with reckless and negligent road behaviour.
'If we don't take action against him, every other aspirant skateboarder will try it and one of them will come to a sticky end,' he said.

Mr Roux said that Mr Lourenco has been skating for years, and has been placed in poll positions in numerous downhill races since he was 16.
Threat: Decio Lourenco, 24, is facing prosecution as the South African city's safety authorities say he could have caused a major crash on the busy road
But it appears that despite the threat of prosecution, Mr Lourenco does not regret his action and said he had spent the day with a big smile on his face.
'I’ve been skating down hills from a young age… often going much faster than that,' he told Iol news.
'This is the first time I’ve gotten any attention for it.'

In Cape Town it is illegal to speed on the roads regardless of the mode of transport – whether it was a car, bicycle or skateboard.
Last year, a Joburg longboarder was killed after he smashed into a truck on the Franschhoek Pass.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2KMcOZyWQ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Video link : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... olice.html

Whilst on one hand it seems utterly mad he does seem highly skilled and in total control. When he comes up to traffic he has techniques to scrub off speed and retain control.
I disagree that he weaves - he retains the best straightest line and that involved going from one lane to another. You don't go fast on a skateboard by weaving - which is what he wanted to do.
I failed to see anyone suddenly loosing control and considering the oncoming traffic was going uphill I fail to see why they would suddenly drive into oncoming traffic (skateboarder & vehicle)! I find that comment untrue un-necessary and 'scare'-mongering'.
He is clearly highly skilled and this seems to be well within his abilities no matter how illegal or potentially wrong.

He does seem to be on a pretty quiet road, although there are many potential hazard situations but at least he has good techniques to slow down rapidly. I agree to that others maybe tempted to try it too, but why not make a 'thing' of it and allow a time and place ? (Instead of rule everything out in life)!

However, I agree that if it is illegal in that Country then he really should not be doing this.
The fact that he sets off a camera shows how pointless they are !

Profile Send private message