Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 22:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:47 
User

I'm all in favour of governments being forced by laws to acknowledge that we all have basic rights, but I cannot help but think that some people who abuse the rights of others deserve to have some of theirs taken away.
So I was not happy to read today of one such individual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18625225

BBC News article wrote:
Sex offender extradition to US halted by British court

The High Court in London has blocked a US government attempt to extradite a man accused of child sex.

Shawn Sullivan, 43, won his appeal against extradition after US authorities refused to pledge he would not be placed on a controversial sex offender treatment programme.

Sullivan is described as one of the US's most-wanted alleged sex criminals.
His lawyers argued he might be placed on the programme without a trial and with no hope of release.

Sullivan, who was not in court, is accused of raping a 14-year-old girl and sexually molesting two 11-year-olds in Minnesota between 1993 and 1994.

He has a previous conviction for sexually assaulting two 12-year-old girls in Ireland, for which he was given a suspended sentence.

High Court judges Lord Justice Moses and Mr Justice Eady ruled on June 20 there was a real risk that, if extradited, Sullivan would be subjected to an order of civil commitment to the treatment programme in a "flagrant denial" of his human rights.

They gave the US government a last opportunity to provide an assurance that there would be no commitment order made - and assurance the US refused to give - and Sullivan's appeal under the 2003 Extradition Act was therefore allowed.

Sullivan, who has joint Irish-US nationality, was arrested in London in June 2010 while living with Ministry of Justice policy manager Sarah Smith, 34, in Barnes, south-west London. :shock:

Married in prison
They married while he was held at Wandsworth Prison, before he was granted bail.

Sullivan's lawyer, Ben Brandon, previously told the court no one had been released from the treatment programme, operated by the Department of Human Services in Minnesota, since it began in its current form in 1988.

Commitment usually followed a person completing a prison sentence but a criminal conviction was not necessary for it to take place, said Mr Brandon.

Aaron Watkins, appearing for the US government, told the court Sullivan did not satisfy the criteria for civil commitment but agreed no assurances had been given.

The judges ruled extradition might contravene Sullivan's rights under Article 5.1 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Lord Justice Moses said that, under the Minnesota programme, "there is no requirement that the offences took place recently nor, indeed, that the misconduct resulted in conviction, provided that the misconduct is substantiated by credible evidence"

This disgusting individual is NOT a UK citizen, he is a persistent offender and yet the judges decided that extradition MIGHT infringe his human rights.

What about the human rights of his victims whom he has on several occasions infringed in the worst possible manner?

Good job he hadn't sold batteries that might be used in missiles, to Iran, or hacked into a NASA computer!

So what do you make of the news that a Ministry of Justice policy manager was living with this sick individual - and has since married him?
I have to question her judgement and suitability for the job she is employed to do on our behalf!!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
So what do you make of the news that a Ministry of Justice policy manager was living with this sick individual - and has since married him?
I have to question her judgement and suitability for the job she is employed to do on our behalf!!
If the term guilty by association holds any water, it speaks volumes about her character IMO. I don’t care how rich, pretty or charismatic someone is, or how madly in love I am, if someone has a record like his I’d probably wear a baseball bat out on his head. (Do I have to be careful about saying things like that now, since the Twitter thing?).

I agree 100% with you Ernest, it seems like in every walk of life these days no-one is held accountable for their actions. From priests to bankers, media moguls to parliament; it’s like someone declared anarchy without telling us. It’s infecting the nation such that everyone is looking for a quick buck, are out just for themselves, and are prepared to do anything to get it.

Oddly enough, although for some reason I’ve never warmed to Tony Robinson I thought he was great on Question Time last night and I like is intelligent, logical, factual approach and morals. (Will someone dig some dirt up about him now I wonder). Paddy Ashdown is a man I’ve always admired too, in politics. Why don’t people like him ever get to the very top :x I'm sure he'd agree with us on this one...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:30 
User

I watched QT too, and the chap at the other end from Tony also gave a good account of himself.

The one person I thought was rude and spoiled some of the exchanges was David Dimbleby - especially when he interrupted Paddy Ashdown! I was glad that the audience seemed to warm to paddy's response!

This individual has a point that the US refuse to affirm that he will not be held without trial - although in every other respect their representative pointed out that (a) he would not pass the conditions for such treatment, and (b) the detention of sex offenders indefinitely takes place AFTER a trial and imprisonment is over!

The thing I find most distasteful is that the UK has fought to send two people to the States without demanding conditions on their prospects in the US justice system.