Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 19:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Varifocals and driving
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 16:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Yesterday, being increasingly conscious of the need to take off my distance glasses to read any small print, I finally bit the bullet and invested in an (expensive) pair of varifocals :cool:

I've driven about 100 miles in them so far without incident, but I'm aware that to get the full benefit of the distance vision, I have to consciously look into the top half of the lens. Is this something I'll eventually get used to doing automatically?

I'd be interested in the experience of any other varifocal users.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 17:28 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:
Yesterday, being increasingly conscious of the need to take off my distance glasses to read any small print, I finally bit the bullet and invested in an (expensive) pair of varifocals :cool:

I've driven about 100 miles in them so far without incident, but I'm aware that to get the full benefit of the distance vision, I have to consciously look into the top half of the lens. Is this something I'll eventually get used to doing automatically?

I'd be interested in the experience of any other varifocal users.

I have worn varifocals for nearly ten years and I am rarely aware that I am wearing that type of lens. The effort of looking through the correct part of the lens soon becomes automatic. The only problem I have had is with night driving. I think that what is happening is that reflections from road signs arrive back through a different part of the lens causing some mild double vision. I keep a pair of plain (my varifocals are photo-chromic) distance vision glasses in the car for night driving. Since one should keep spare glasses in the car in case of breakage that isn't really an additional expense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 17:38 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The counter-intuitive thing is that you have to angle your head downwards to look at distant things, and upwards to look at close things :roll:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 17:50 

I think a lot depends on how great the difference is between the varifocal portion of the lens and the normal part. I'm on my first pair now, and the difference is pretty small. If anything, I found I had to turn my head a bit more than I used to rather than looking through the corners. I gather styles with big lenses are better because the change can take place more gradually.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 21:51 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:
The counter-intuitive thing is that you have to angle your head downwards to look at distant things, and upwards to look at close things :roll:

That is because you have not yet learned to move your eyes rather than your head to get the focus.. The advice that you should point your noise at what you want to see seems to work quite well. For some reason your eyes tend to follow your nose.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 22:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMO the worst thing about Varifocals is that you have to crick your neck back to see the computer monitor. I've gone back to single vision readers for deskwork.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 22:58 
Supporter
Supporter

malcolmw wrote:
IMO the worst thing about Varifocals is that you have to crick your neck back to see the computer monitor. I've gone back to single vision readers for deskwork.

No you don't. You have to learn to move your eyes rather than your neck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 23:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

malcolmw wrote:

I have no problem with that - I just look at the monitor through the intermediate area in the middle of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 08:25 
Supporter
Supporter

When I first got the vari-focals I also bought a pair of reading glasses for desk work as did Malcolm. But I never actually felt the need to use them and eventually had then re-glazed as a spare distant vision set. Best thing since nan bread are vfs :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 13:35 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
malcolmw wrote:

No you don't. You have to learn to move your eyes rather than your neck

I'm with Malcolm on this - it's no use lowering your eyes, unless eyes' lens and monitor line up at the same time - and with some lenses they dont.

Your optician should be able to show you where the transition takes place - mine drew it on the lens in a waterbased felt tip pen to demonstrate where and how I had to hold my head for different views. As Mole identified - those "fashionable" styles which are suited to peering through letterboxes have less space in which to fit the transition!
I hate them - I can see the frame in my vision wherever I look. I preferred the pilot style where the lens covers the whole of the eye, but had difficulty in getting a large enough lens last time I went!

DCBWhalley wrote:
The only problem I have had is with night driving. I think that what is happening is that reflections from road signs arrive back through a different part of the lens causing some mild double vision.

I had noticed this - and had mentioned it in another forum. I find those using fog lights in the wet when there is no need particularly distracting.
In fact any light source which illuminates the water on your screen is a drawback with Varifocals!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 14:43 
Supporter
Supporter

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I preferred the pilot style where the lens covers the whole of the eye, but had difficulty in getting a large enough lens last time I went!

The larger style is a problem with very strong lenses as the edge needs to be very thick which increases the weight a lot. Plstic or high refractive index glass reduces that problem but at a price.

Quote:
Quote:
The only problem I have had is with night driving. I think that what is happening is that reflections from road signs arrive back through a different part of the lens causing some mild double vision.

I had noticed this - and had mentioned it in another forum. I find those using fog lights in the wet when there is no need particularly distracting.
In fact any light source which illuminates the water on your screen is a drawback with Varifocals!

I am lad someone else suffers this as mu optician was very dubious when I mentioned it to her. Not dubious enough to talk me out of buying another pair of specs though :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 17:00 
User

Oops, should have gone to Specsavers! OAP crashes through front of opticians
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:58 AM on 27th June 2009
It could have been a scene from an advert for a new pair of designer glasses.
But for one 89-year-old driver, the test of navigating a busy street proved too much after he ploughed through the front of an opticians, causing up to £20,000 worth of damage.
The pensioner, who was wearing glasses, mounted the pavement in Seaford, East Sussex, careered through the shop and smashed two display units of designer sunglasses before coming to a halt just in front of three shocked members of staff.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0gwPiK3DH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 18:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
I am lad someone else suffers this as mu optician was very dubious when I mentioned it to her. Not dubious enough to talk me out of buying another pair of specs though :)

Have you got the right prescription on at the moment dcb? :lol: Just kidding.. ;)

This is a subject close to my heart so thanks for bringing it up Peter :)

I'm in the throws of getting the same. Like the rest of you old fogies ;) I'm struggling to read and find my arms aren't long enough. Either that or I have to take my specs off and bring it in close to my eyes. (The joys of getting old eh?).

So I'm very interested in all comments here because I have heard and read conflicting viewpoints.

I broke my specs just the other day when they fell on the floor while taking my helmet off. Long story short.. I had to get some without delay and the only place which could do this by me was Vision Express. Two hours later and £155 spent which I can't afford on the cheapest on 'BeYu' frames, I got some more.

I can't afford VF complete with none-dorky frame and they take a month to make so I got these Continental ones with the big side arms as a temporary and spare thing. As Claire quite rightly pointed out to me however, they blinker you so not a good thing to use for driving. On the up side I have found them great for sheltering my eyes from the low sun we are getting when being attacked from the sides. I’d still rather have the peripheral vision though on balance.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 19:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reasonable Varifocals (I find Zeiss better than Nikon) about £450

Acceptable single focus reading glasses about £3.50.

Hmmm...

PS. My distance vision is spot on now I have got older.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:

Hmmm...

Lucky you. I'm myopic, although having just looked up the dictionary definition I'm not sure that's a good admission.

1.Ophthalmology. pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
2.unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
3.lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.

I'm number 1 btw. It's not so bad being number 1 :D

What other old man/woman things have we got going on here? (I'm guessing no-one under 40 is going to read this thread anyway).

Well, I've been trying to combat my toenail fungus with 'Clear Zal' for the last year or more. In fact there's only one part of my body I feel still works like it did when I was young, but let's not go there...

:D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
malcolmw wrote:

Hmmm...

I've gotten reading ones down as low as two pairs for £2 ( places like Aldi/ Netto/Lydll) , not the best quality of frames but for a hostile working environment( and careless user) acceptable .Can't comment on the distance side yet -I'm still blessed with good distance vision - I get free checks due to my diabetes and dad had Glaecoma ,with yearly retinal checks .I used to get a yearly test at work with BUPA ( they panicked about me being out on track with diabetes) and passed every one of theirs .In fact , the older guys could spot a train before the kids .( Says something ,perhaps ) .
On the toenail fungi ,BT- read somewhere that the medics are hesitant to treat ,despite all the so called cures , the response rate is low .Think I've got it ,as a side effect from my cured athletes foot ( me an athlete -well in those days cars were all RWD) -still waiting for my GP to pick it up on my yearly foot inspections -they panick in case of poor healing cuts etc .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 00:33 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
I'm in the throws of getting the same.

Throwing your specs around is silly and will inevitable lead to breakages. (Sorry Tone - I don't normally criticise spelling errors but you did ask for it :) )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 00:59 

Big Tone wrote:
[
What other old man/woman things have we got going on here? (I'm guessing no-one under 40 is going to read this thread anyway).

Well, I've been trying to combat my toenail fungus with 'Clear Zal' for the last year or more. In fact there's only one part of my body I feel still works like it did when I was young, but let's not go there...

:D

Pah! So you can still REACH your toenails eh Tone???!!! You're still now't but a boy, young lad! :)

For what it's worth, I'm short-sighted too. For me it will always be varifocals or carrying two pairs of glasses from now on. As luck would have it, I'm not cool and trendy (and doesn't my daughter keep reminding me?!) so I don't mind having large, unfashionable, but actually very functional frames. Because it was such a gentle change and because the lenses were large, my varifocals weren't that expensive, but I couldn't afford the anti-reflective coating that I had on my last single focus pair as well as the varifocals and that's been more of a pain that I'd thought. I might still go back to having 2 pairs...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
I'm in the throws of getting the same.

Throwing your specs around is silly and will inevitable lead to breakages. (Sorry Tone - I don't normally criticise spelling errors but you did ask for it :) )
:lol: Ah, you got me there you devil but I have to confess I still don’t know how I should have said it. I just asked a Speech and Language Therapist too and she said that’s how she would have written it unless there’s an apostrophe or something?

The worst faux pas I made was when I was talking about America the once and mentioned ‘the right to bare arms’. :oops: A guy who used to frequent here, called Handy, got some mileage out of it I can tell you. It’s good to be able to laugh at yourself though. :P

I don’t get why diabetes is so common botach. I know four people, (friends and friends sons), who got it while only in their mid/late teens. It’s a very common and increasing condition, as you know, but I’m glad you have good care.

My nail fungus thing has gone. It’s common in men of a certain age, so I’m told. It only took so long to eradicate because I stopped using the ClearZal when it looked like it had gone but I should have kept using it for a while after. (A bit like taking antibiotics). It happens when you have your feet in hot shoes all day. I’ve got bigger shoes now. I’m a size 7 so now I use size 8. I have very small feet for my height but I can assure you everything else is perfectly normal. :P (Too much information :D )

Actually Mole, it’s quite difficult to reach my toes and I’m not sure if it’s because of my belly or my inflexible back. When I do manage to get my foot close enough to start hacking I can’t see properly because it’s in a range which is not close enough to see without my specs but too close to see using my specs. It’s ridiculous! This is why I need proper reading glasses or maybe medium range ones.

I guess nature didn’t intend us to live this long.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 14:55 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
Ah, you got me there you devil but I have to confess I still don’t know how I should have said it. I just asked a Speech and Language Therapist too and she said that’s how she would have written it unless there’s an apostrophe or something?

It is throes Tone. No wonder the overall standard of child literacy is falling if even a speech therapist can't spell. :(