Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Divine Intervention??
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 09:01 
User

Apparently during a vicious lightning storm last night, a speed camera on the A595 in Cumbria was destroyed by fire! :cry:

It was apparently struck by lightning! :shock:

I have yet to find an online report, but as soon as i find out more I will post it here. In the meantime, I suggest we all go to church on Sunday! :wink:

This area IS beset with people usuing inappropriate speed, but by far the biggest problem when I have travelled the road, is appalling driving behaviour! :oops:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:53 
Site Admin

How do you know?

I'm looking to make a 'news opportunity' out of it.

How far is it from where you are? Any chance of a photo? This could soon become very urgent, depending on who knows already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 16:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/view ... ?id=363696
Quote:
Yobs wreck speed camera

Published on 05/05/2006

VANDALS have torched a speed camera on the A595 in West Cumbria.

Cumbria Safety Cameras, which is responsible for the camera at Howgate, have launched an investigation.

Communications manager Kevin Tea said: “It’s the first major act of vandalism on a fixed speed camera in Cumbria.

“I’ve been told there was a burnt tyre beside it so it looks like it was vandalism.”

The camera, believed to be the northbound one between Whitehaven and Workington, is one of a pair in the village.

Whitehaven firefighters had to use hydraulic rescue equipment to make the camera safe after the fire at 9.45pm.

Only a fortnight ago the £45,000 cameras were hailed a success by villagers, who said noise and speed from vehicles had been reduced since they were turned on earlier this year.

Howgate was identified as a speeding hotspot. There have been five accidents where people have been killed or seriously injured in the past three years.

The £45,000 cameras are funded through a partnership made up of the police, Cumbria County Council, Highways Agency and the courts service.

A recent survey by Cumbria Safety Cameras found increasing support for the cameras, mainly sited in south Cumbria.

Last December, a survey found 86 per cent backed use of the tactic - up two per cent from September. Seventy-seven per cent were in favour in June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 16:58 
User

They must have tightened up on the wording of the surveys then, and perhaps been even more selective about who they asked.

I can still only think of one person that I have even spoken to who thinks that they are a good idea, and we have never quite had time to discuss the issues so she might easily be turned; hubby drives a Jag and she now drives a Lexus RX400h which while being slightly greener than some is still a bloody great performance/luxury 4x4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 17:56 
User

Found this - http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/FireIncidents/2006/may/04_05_2006-233414.asp

No speculation as to the cause of the fire :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 18:11 
User

Radio Cumbria were reprting it this morning, along with a house fire started when struck by lightning. Apparently a man playing football in Dumfries was also struck but survived.
There was no mention of the tyre or vandalism! :lol:

CSCP assert that the cameras have an anti-vandal device built in - we have discussed it somewhere on the site before now!
If they are admitting it WAS vandalism, it will be open season on cameras - it was only the potential of being caught by an anti vandalism device which has been putting people off trying, I am sure! :wink:

They should have gone with the lightning story - and may yet!!

Incidentally, another report puts the price as being £50,000 per camera. Funny how they can justify spending all that, when they are supposed to deter speeding, yet they dont actually stop anyone from carrying on speeding!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 19:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Strange how the cost of a camera varies throughout the country, unless the price has doubled in the past 5/6 months - story about the one set on fire at the Redgate in November --"VANDALS have targeted a speed camera at a dangerous Nuneaton junction for the third time, causing damage estimated at £20,000.

In the latest incident, yobs placed a tyre around the neck of the bright yellow device - and then set it on fire."

Wonder how much they told the county reps the camera would cost at the outset :roll: :?:

And if the various partnerships cant get their facts right about the price .....says a lot for the propaganda they're putting out.
On the other hand, perhaps the camera manufacturers are fleecing one partnership more than another. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 20:48 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

the winnie mandela trick

burn one out put a claim in for two

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 21:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:
the winnie mandela trick

burn one out put a claim in for two

Or are more getting fried than they are telling us??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 02:33 
User

Funny you should ask, but I remember when a Farmer found a GATSO in his drainage ditch in Lincolnshire, police were said to be looking to see if there was any connection to one which had gone missing 30 miles awy in Cambridgeshire!! :lol:

Sounds like it must be more common than we thought!" :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 16:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Strange how the cost of a camera varies throughout the country, unless the price has doubled in the past 5/6 months

Is that for the same type of camera though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 22:29 
User

These are Redspeed Monitrons.

I was speaking to a lady from Ings on Saturday - apparently they had got a ticket from the Ings cameras - 50 in a 40 limit.

She commented earlier this year that traffic is bunched up at busy times, making it harder to get out onto the main road!

I wonder how many others from Ings have had tickets!! I believe the appropriate expression is by Shakespeare:
"Hoisted by their own Petard" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 23:31 

How do you spell "scadenfreude"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 22:43 
User

Mole wrote:

Schadenfreude

I hope it's right, or Wildy will appear to make me write lines! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 23:29 

Ta! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 23:41 
User

Think nothing of it! Just got these from Wiki...

# Dutch: leedvermaak (leed, suffering or sorrow, and vermaak, entertainment)
# Hungarian: káröröm (kár, loss or damage, öröm, joy)
# Swedish: skadeglädje (skada, damage, glädje, joy or happiness)
# Danish and Norwegian: skadefryd (skade, pain or suffering, fryd, glee).
# Estonian: kahjurõõm (kahju, damage or harm and rõõm, joy)
# Finnish: vahingonilo (vahinko, damage, ilo, joy or happiness)
# Russian and Serbo-Croatian: злорадство (зло, evil or harm, радость, joy)
# Hebrew: שמחה) : שמחה לאיד, joy, איד, misfortune)

And just for Paul and the Highland brigade....
# Scots Gaelic: aighear-truaighe (aighear, delight or joy, truaighe, misery or wretchedness)

Hows that for over the top? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 21:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest - you forgot to mention the one word that brings joy or delight to a scot --"'uisge beatha"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 00:13 
User

Sorry I dont speak the heathen tongue, I can only report it when I find it! :lol:

However, I do know a man that does... he was only entertaining a woman last week with tales of his exploits with his spirtle!! :o :roll:

I spoke today with the party who got the ticket, and asked how "they" had got it - 50 in a 40 seemed they were passing through, but he assures me that since traffic slows for the camera, and ends up nose to tail, he is in the habit of pulling out into the main road and flooring it if a gap occurs. Unfortunately, he was intimidated by a mobile home bearing down on him, and neglected to lift off in time!!
I suggested he gets the villagers who signed the petition to have the limit introduced sign another to get it removed - Cumbria County Council said they were only conforming with the villagers request - another words, there was no road safety case to make! I wonder how many would have to sign to get it taken away! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 20:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest - think the SCP have got "rent a voice" to pipe up every time they want a camera - this lot must roam from county to county --we've got them in Warks - all 100+ of them ---wonder if they're the same lot as yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 19:32 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Mole wrote:

Schadenfreude

I hope it's right, or Wildy will appear to make me write lines! :lol:

Du hast Recht! :bow:

Ist from "Schaden (r) " which mean "damage or harm"

"Freude" means "pleasure or joy" - our language tend to put words together to make a new word - und so we have "damage joy" which tranlsate as "malicious pleasure"

Language ist really a type of "code" per Berlitz who founded all those schools und courses und Michel Thomas ( a truly brave man who was part of the "maquis" in WW2 und taught the late Princess Grace to speak French und has taught the likes of Mel Gibson und Tom Cruise und others to speak a lingo to impact their roles in the films. He ist really rather good und if anyone wish to learn a lingo - this man show how to start und move on without pain . For example - he take a model und then ask you to use logic to work it out.. und I think he ist right... ist a sort of logic puzzle.

Ist off topic - ist really a Chat matter - sorry Paul :lol:

If I tell you that "klug" means "clever/intelligent" und "wird" means "becomes"

Can you work out what this mean? I think ist what the prats actually think but ist not road safety policy :wink: in that it does not improve standards

"Aus Schaden wird man klug" :wink:

It translate to well known English saying.. perhaps more than one und one ist here on the site :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Literally "one becomes intelligent from damages"

Ja - ist not English - yet.. so work out the saying from the clues.

======================

This one also would apply to the prats and TROLLS :wink: :wink:

OK I give you some words.. "Spott" means "travesty or mockery"

"wer" does not mean "where" but "who or whoever"

"braucht" means "needs"

"sorgen fuer " means "to look after./provide" (am not in word - the two little dots mean the old German has an "e" the umlaut as we call it over the letters ist meaning a missing "e" just as accented letters in French, Spanish und other lingos mean a missing letter from medieval und Latin origins.)

I educate - nicht? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Wer den Schaden hat, braucht fuer den Spott nicht zu sorgen"

Literally "Whoever has some damage/disadvantage - there ist no need to provide mockery"

Ist NOT English - but translate very directly to one of your sayings. Ist like a crossword puzzle und I know ist more "chat" topic than here.. perhaps.

Maybe I am trying to say how difficult it can be to write und think in your lingo as well even though my Mama ist English. I do tend to think in my own language first und then move to yours. Sometimes I think or know I end up getting misunderstood.. I think B Cyclist sometimes misunderstand me in fairness to him (or her? ) und I know I should not have called him (her?) a "worm" that time too... :oops:

But I used to use spell checker .. ist a soul destroyer when you have to correct all the little words. :(

I am only one in family who has such problems.. I am youngest - I think I copped out because they all spoke in Schwyz to me und I was not as exposed to English like the older ones.. :roll:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!