Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Info please
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 02:31 

This is a question for Ernest, JT or any Cumbria folk. I was flashed in Barrow this evening by one of the new REDSPEED things. I was indicating 33-34 in a 30. What is the prosecution threshold locally? Is it ACPO or lower? I presume they are always live, as they don't use film.

Thanks

Best Regards

Roger

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 23:58 

Bad luck mate!

Before the CSCP forum was closed, I think they were on record (many times) as saying they only prosecute by the ACPO gudelines. That said, they start AT 10% + 2, not AFTER 10%+2. So they should start ringing the till at a true 35. You should be OK at 34 - unless your speedo under-reads, but I'd put nothing beneath them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 01:09 

I agree.

I've heard loads and loads of apocryphal stories of folk being nicked for "42 in a 40" or suchlike, but every single time I've seen any actual evidence of a speeding case it has always been at or above 10%+2 - 79 on the M6 being the usual one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 02:52 
User

This is not the first time I have heard of the cameras flashing AS SOON AS YOU GO OVER the prescribed limit. I have been flashed at Ing three times now, and have yet to receive a NIP - and I am sure somebody has a price on my head!! :lol: (checks to see it's more than 14 days since the last time!!)

In addition, the VAS units in Kendal, and on Walney Island, BOTH misrepresented your speed, even allowing for speedo error.
I was shown as doing 32 when the speedo read 27/28!!
A neighbour told me the Kendal unit gave his speed as 34 when his speedo read 26 (Citroen Zara Piccaso with digital readout).

I suspect the fuzzy headed thinking is that you will be encouraged to slow down, when in fact drivers merely think they are taking the p*ss and take no notice.
It's noticeable that to trigger the Ings cameras (which only flash in poor light as far as I can tell) you only need to be a fraction over - twice I have seen motorists in the middle of lines of traffic set off the flash - yet not the cars in front or behind them.
It is immensly distracting for cars facing the flash(es). :oops: 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 02:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Are the rulers sufficiently short that you can go past (traffic and weather conditions permitting) safely at sufficiently brisk pace that you're clear of the ruler for the second flash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 04:28 
User

Roger wrote:
Are the rulers sufficiently short that you can go past (traffic and weather conditions permitting) safely at sufficiently brisk pace that you're clear of the ruler for the second flash?

'Fraid not!! :)
Its not clear in this picture, but you'd have to be travelling to miss the second flash!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 09:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Roger wrote:

'Fraid not!! :)
Its not clear in this picture, but you'd have to be travelling to miss the second flash!! :lol:

Didn’t they try this on Top Gear? I think they had a car go through at 200mph and it still couldn’t get past in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 09:26 

Dixie wrote:
Didn’t they try this on Top Gear? I think they had a car go through at 200mph and it still couldn’t get past in time.

Yes. If memory serves me right they used a conventional GATSO, and found that if a car passed at 170 it was out of shot in the second picture.

Of course if you were to take advantage of that you'd have to be sure that the particular camera you tripped had the standard number of painted lines in the standard place...

Incidentally, does the Redspeed thing actually use two flashes? I thought that as it was triggered by road sensors it just took one picture to see how far you had gone since it first tripped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 16:14 
New User
New User

Hi

As I am new to this interesting site I apologise in advance if my question breaches any protocol; although I live in Oxfordshire, I visit Barrow and Walney regularly as my in-laws live there......never having seen these cameras/devices, can someone tell me where they are and what they look like so that I can be more careful?

Many thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 01:30 
User

lacroupade wrote:
Hi

As I am new to this interesting site I apologise in advance if my question breaches any protocol; although I live in Oxfordshire, I visit Barrow and Walney regularly as my in-laws live there......never having seen these cameras/devices, can someone tell me where they are and what they look like so that I can be more careful?

Many thanks in advance.

You will find the info here.

The site location and a convenient map for every camera in Cumbria.
The only thing they dont tell you is whether they are turned on!

The Redspeeds at Ings are giving at least two flashes JT. Not sure why but in the dark it seems like more - a sort of strobe effect! I'm always watching my speedo so I could'nt tell you for certain!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 18:00 
New User
New User

Mmmmm! I have travelled Salthouse Rd often and never spotted that cam, but I don't think I ever exceeded the limit, so just as well!

But you mentioned one on Walney Island as well? Can't see that on the list, or is a mobile stuck on the Prom occasionally?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 19:11 
User

No, the one on Walney is simply a device which flashes up your speed, and lights up a "slow down" message.

the one in Kendal has now been removed, so presumably they move them around the area once people get used to the fact they are not accurate!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 08:44 
User

VAS being triggered at speeds below the ones that they are apparently set to warn about is becoming increasingly common, and as far as I can tell is rapidly destroying any credibility that they had. If the devices always "cry wolf" then drivers will treat them with contempt, and a potentially valuable road safety tool becomes useless. To quote Bob Dylan: "When will they ever learn..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 13:24 
New User
New User

I used to drive a lot years ago in Southern Ireland, and the one thing I always made a point of slowing down for were their infamous "black spot" signs..........partly because they were very basic but stark, and secondly because they made a point of only putting them in places which really were accident blackspots. These VAS signs kind of have the same effect, except that they are really only enforcing local speed limts as opposed to highlighting places where accidents have happened and are likely to do so.....mmmm, sounds like a GATSO to me....not.