Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Today in Kendal.....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 21:45 
User

The latest instalment on the sorry saga of Stricklandgate/Sandes Ave junction :roll:

As we Kendalians/expats know, there have been continual problems with drivers defying the mandatory left turn from Windermere direction, going straight across into Stricklandgate.

Today I observed BIB approach the junction (no blues/sirens), they reached the corner (2 PC's in car), put the blues on, no siren, crossed the junction, then low and behold, switched off the blues and proceeded at normal speed (20 limit :roll: ) up Stricklandgate. No sign of any emergency.

What an example to set the general public. I would point out this was a Panda car (Focus Estate reg no PY02 ***), not a Trafpol Volvo.

I dont think anyone on here would disagree with an emergency vehicle on an emergency call going straight across the junction if done safely - is there a legal exemption in emergencies?

Very disappointed by what I saw today. :oops:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 00:37 
User

Try telephoning the Police Station, and tell them you are coming from Windermere to Maude Street, and ask how you get into Maude Street without driving completely around town! :x
You can go to the railway station through 6 sets of lights, and all the way around the mini roundabout, or you can turn right down Blackhall Road, swing left then right past the old Provincial HQ, right again, back up Blackhall Road, left, and THEN, straight on into Maude Street - 6 sets of lights later, and having burned enough fuel to get you nearly to Staveley!!

Is it any wonder a police car (taking the precaution of using blues as a warning instead of hazards while moving :lol: ) went straight across? After all BUSSES are allowed to make the same manouvre!!

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 22:38 
User

Dead right. The lunatics really did take over the asylum when they designed that junction :roll:

What I want to know is what happened to the "strict enforcement" promised by Nick Raymond?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 01:19 
User

A lot of people make the left turn towards KwikFIt, then do a U-Turn and double back and either turn left into Stricklandgate or go straight on into Maude Street.

Now there's a question.
If you are going to turn into Maude Street from Sandes Avenue, how do you indicate that you are NOT turning left into Stricklandgate, and NOT continuing RIGHT towards Windermere?
I did not indicate in the normal manner, but the cars behind, failed to anticipate my two flashes + off, two flashes + off as an indication that I wasn't completing the right turn, but was not turning left either.
A pedestrian about to cross Maude Street also failed to see the significance, so I naturally had to stop on the corner, much to the chagrin of the traffic behind me - but what else can you do? Holding up traffic to turn from Windermere Road into either Stricklandgate or maude Street is said to be dangerous - according to Nick Raymond!! This is the same Nick Raymond who said the zebra crossing at Goodly Dale in Windermere was not worthy of a PELICAN, because nobody had been killed or seriously injured there.
Is holding up traffic on Sandes Avenue NOT dangerous in the same manner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 18:58 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Now there's a question.
If you are going to turn into Maude Street from Sandes Avenue, how do you indicate that you are NOT turning left into Stricklandgate, and NOT continuing RIGHT towards Windermere?
I did not indicate in the normal manner, but the cars behind, failed to anticipate my two flashes + off, two flashes + off as an indication that I wasn't completing the right turn, but was not turning left either.
A pedestrian about to cross Maude Street also failed to see the significance, so I naturally had to stop on the corner, much to the chagrin of the traffic behind me - but what else can you do?

Just indicate and drive more slowly toward the turn off so drivers behind are more aware and you can better gauge what people crossing Maude Street are going to do and they have a better chance of seeing you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 21:09 
User

Lakeuk wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Now there's a question.
A pedestrian about to cross Maude Street also failed to see the significance, so I naturally had to stop on the corner, much to the chagrin of the traffic behind me - but what else can you do?

Just indicate and drive more slowly toward the turn off so drivers behind are more aware and you can better gauge what people crossing Maude Street are going to do and they have a better chance of seeing you.

You are assuming a great deal more common sense from all parties than I see!

Some dont indicate at all, others indicate, only to have the car behind nearly ram them from behind because they did NOT turn into Stricklandgate! And pedestrians often display less roadsense than sheep!

The whole junction is an accident waiting to happen! :oops: