It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 15:42 
Site Admin

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewa ... ?id=313677

Rule shake-up means speed camera vans can roam freely

Published on 19/12/2005

By Mark Preskett

SPEED camera vans in Cumbria are now allowed to roam freely around the county as part of a Government shake-up of safety camera legislation.

Under the plans, the camera vans will no longer be confined to the 50 accident hot spots in Cumbria where they lie in wait to clock speeding motorists.

But a spokesman for Cumbria Safety Cameras, which runs the four camera vans and four fixed cameras, reassured motorists that the distinctive yellow vans would not be appearing at the end of their road any time soon.

Kevin Tea, communications manager for Cumbria Safety Cameras, said: “The changes will give us a lot more flexibility in how we operate.

“Before these changes we had to be based at these accident hotspots 85 per cent of the time, and it would take up to two years to add an area to our list.

“Now, in theory, we can go anywhere we want but we will only target an area outside of our 50 hotspots if there’s a real reason.”

In 2003, cameras clocked 32,000 speeding motorists in Cumbria, netting £1.92 million in fines.

With the costs of running Cumbria Safety Cameras for a year standing at £1.6 million, this gave the Government a profit of around £300,000.

Mr Tea insists that the aim of the speed cameras is to improve road safety, not generate cash for the Government.

He said: “The simple fact is that the speed cameras reduce the number of accidents on our roads. We are under no pressure to generate money.”

===================================

Excuse me? What are these rules and when do they come into force?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 15:56 
User

:nono:

Looks like Kevin has jumped to conclusions in his desperate rush to turn a negative into a positive. He's also a liar..

Kevin Tea wrote:
The simple fact is that the speed cameras reduce the number of accidents on our roads

This is unproven, and now officially documented as extremely unlikely. Seems that some people just won't lie down and die. I reckon though that we can file this along with all the other 'loose cannon' rubbish that has come from the Cumbria staff (how is that thing with Steve coming along, btw?? :lol: )

His comments do raise questions as to what exactly they are going to do with the cash wasting partnerships though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 16:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kevin Tea wrote:
"... will only target an area outside of our 50 hotspots if there’s a real reason.”

Like if they're not catching enough people elsewhere to balance the books?
Kevin Tea wrote:
“We are under no pressure to generate money.”

Maybe they're not under pressure to generate money for the government but unless everyone in CSCP is independently wealthy they sure as hell are under pressure to generate money. They have to pay their own salaries so that their staff can eat and pay mortgages and meet the same expenses that the rest of us have to, and since scamera fines are their income... or doesn't that count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 17:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I bet we won't see vans hanging around outside schools or roads where it is dangerous to speed, they'll all be on wide straight roads to catch people as they are easy pickings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 19:12 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
He said: “The simple fact is that the speed cameras reduce the number of accidents on our roads. We are under no pressure to generate money.”

CSCP activities haven't saved a single life though have they? Deaths up at camera sites 39% since they started. (Refer to Safespeed's press release in August 2005 - all figures were obtained from CSCP under the FOI Act :lol: )

This statement certainly is misinformation :o

BTW - We never see Mr Callaghan quoted anywhere in the press nowadays - is he still there? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 21:28 
User

Kevin was on Radio Cumbria this morning - but he sounded distinctly nervous under questioning, and fluffed his lines a few times!!
Definately not his usual confident self!!

He used the usual ploy - when Fatalities were up, serious injuries were down, so KSI's actually improved despite the fact more people died.

Currently the toll is at 44, which is less than last year so now it's OK to quote fatalities on their own, instead of including them with seriously injureds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 22:31 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Currently the toll is at 44, which is less than last year so now it's OK to quote fatalities on their own, instead of including them with seriously injureds!

Fatalities are down this year on the last 2 (bad) years. There was a fatal yesterday, and still the very high risk Xmas period to come.

Let's not forget though, 2002 and 2001 were both 49 fatals, before CSCP commenced in business. From memory I think there were 44 in 1994 and 47 another year recently, so hardly a breakthrough.

Strange how CSCP are now referring to fatals in isolation - last year they told us this was inappropriate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 14:49 

Weren't Cumbria one of the loss-making partnerships? (or should that be submarines?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 19:05 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Quote:
“Now, in theory, we can go anywhere we want but we will only target an area outside of our 50 hotspots if there’s a real reason.”

I’d like to know how many of the so called "50 hotspots" were actually hotspots. If the CSCP are allowed to target anywhere then it’s proof it’s not about safety, but about revenue collecting. If roads have no record of accidents causing injuries and fatalities, then why do they need Speed Cameras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 19:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="Dixie
If roads have no record of accidents causing injuries and fatalities, then why do they need Speed Cameras?[/quote]

Ah - we're forgetting the SCP motto "to boldly go where no person has gone previously, and cash in on the passing mororist"( edit - or is that motorist)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:10 
User

Some chap called Smith, from a road safety campaign organisation was on Radio Cumbria yesterday morning - spoke a lot of sense in my opinion, and the presenter was much more amenable than some I have seen reported here :lol:
That's twice in less than a week - it seems Safespeed is becoming the first port of call for comment for Radio Cumbria, each time there is a shift in policy. :)
It just goes to show that by plugging away we CAN make a difference in the way road safety is perceived in the media. Next stop the public!
8-)
We need more of the same to overcome the so far stage managed campaign of misinformation from the UK Government, and the Safety Camera Partnerships. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 04:10 
User

The Westmorland Gazette wrote:
A four-year report into the effectiveness of safety cameras showed them to be a success. Government transport secretary Alistair Darling said the report was clear proof that safety cameras saved lives.

Mr Tea agreed, saying the Cumbria cameras had been working well by cutting deaths and serious injuries by almost 70 per cent.

The announcement by the Department for Transport also revealed that money raised by cameras would now go towards improved road safety measures rather than new cameras from 2007.

Although this would not drastically alter Cumbria's road safety measures, it would enable more schemes like improved road junctions and warning signs.

Cutting DEATHS by 70% or is that INCREASING deaths, and reducing seriously injured? So for 2004, 57 deaths is 70% of 53?
Or is 377 seriously injured 70% of 393?

My my - hasn't mathematics changed since I was at school!! :oops: :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:47 
User

Hmmm but road safety improvements shouldnt be tied to how many fines the likes of cscp dole out, should it?
Cos thats effectively what itll now be used as.
"sorry, cant re-engineer that road, not enought drivers fined to pay for".

Bad idea and just stinks.

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:54 
User

Notice how CSCP don't say "we have reduced serious injuries, but deaths have increased at our monitored sites since we started..."

To claim cameras have reduced deaths, would in CSCP's area be a blatent lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:56 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:

We did go to the same school though Ernie - it nearly got put on special measures a few years ago! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 00:31 
User

kendalian wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:

We did go to the same school though Ernie - it nearly got put on special measures a few years ago! :o

That was AFTER I left, and I had a decent education BEFORE I went there!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:33 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
That was AFTER I left, and I had a decent education BEFORE I went there!! :lol:

Years after I left as well, fortunately :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 20:44 
User

I have emailed Kevin to ask how he arrived at the figures... but he is out of the office until 9th January :(

If you take the 2003 figure, and minus 7%, then minus 7% again, you get virtually the difference between 2003, and 2005 excepting the December figures :P
That's a LONG way from 70% - there must have been a mistake somewhere :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 13:04 
User

teabelly wrote:
I bet we won't see vans hanging around outside schools or roads where it is dangerous to speed, they'll all be on wide straight roads to catch people as they are easy pickings.

Well :scratchchin: - nowt new. As far as we are aware - only seen them on straight hazard free roads anyway ..... um .... M6 :roll:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 13:12 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I have emailed Kevin to ask how he arrived at the figures... but he is out of the office until 9th January :(

If you take the 2003 figure, and minus 7%, then minus 7% again, you get virtually the difference between 2003, and 2005 excepting the December figures :P
That's a LONG way from 70% - there must have been a mistake somewhere :?

Somehow I don't think sums are Kev's "forte" :wink: Must be result of trying to correct the Maths "steve -style" for so long! :? :?

But you are right - Scam maths are certainly calculated very differently to the time-honoured science!

Almost like the magic, ethereal ability of a speed camera to save a life on an empty road! :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.