Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 03:29 
User

Location: Ex A590 now Southend-On-Mud, Essex, Now Suffolk border
Mole wrote:
Definitely something odd going on! I went to Manchester on Wednesday and Glasgow on Thursday and didn't see a single van - despite them being advertised as on the A66/M6!

Have said since July, I hardly see them anymore, I am up and down the M6 everyday, I live on the A590 and I just don't see them anymore.

As previously stated I would have thought they would be itching on the triggers in the roadworks on the M6, but despite being on the M6 every day last week I never saw them.

The only place I saw them last week was on the A74

EFC

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 07:54 
User

Two months stats in one go - saving on time I suppose :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 04:13 
User

Good write up on the front of the Westmorland Gazette regarding night time speed cameras!

Shame they didn't have them out tonight - accident - 5 youthfull occupants in a small car, rolled over on the A591, at 11.20 pm, just north of the Ings site.
Unfortunately they demolished the railings close to the ones which were only replaced last year following a similar incident.

The occupants were trapped for over 45 minutes, and interestingly, the Ambulance got to the scene before the police :?
I dont suppose it helped that the dispatcher thought the A591 was near Carnforth!!
The car rolled over in front of a car coming the other way - only narrowly missing involving another person, and possibly becoming a fatality.

So what happened to the "safety" cameras here then? I thought the effect was supposed to persist... or could it be they were NOT speeding, or they dont read the Gazette?

This stretch of road is far more hazardous than Ings, has more accidents, and has had hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on safety improvements.... actually that last bit is a lie - INGS had lots of money spent, while this stretch has had b**ger all spent on it, the surface is breaking up, and the verges are a complete mess. A series of bends reduce visibility ahead, and it's downhill towards Ings.
Many of these accidents occur at night when the road is quiet.
Ings is wide, straight, fairly level, has a central median to protect turning vehicles near the filling station and village.
So what do YOU think were the cause of accidents at Ings? :oops:
And Why would the CSCP wish to keep that information from becoming public in the Westmorland Gazette?

The CSCP website says:
Quote:
Most fatal and serious injury accidents in the Kendal rural area occur between 12 noon and 5pm

In common with other areas, most fatal and serious injury accidents occurred in fine, dry weather and on 30mph roads

Virtually all fatal and serious injury accidents in the South Lakes area occurred in fine, dry weather and in daylight

I dont yet know if this latest is a serious injury acident, but it's bucking the trend on most other counts! :oops: Maybe I'll feel a lot safer once the cameras go live at Ings!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 23:13 
User

Surprise surprise after over 8 months I saw a CSCP van in Kendal, and after dark as well.

But for some reason they were more interested in flashing cars doing 30-35mph in a 40mph zone - blimey those flashes are bright, can see an accident being caused in the future!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:24 
User

Lakeuk wrote:
Surprise surprise after over 8 months I saw a CSCP van in Kendal, and after dark as well.

But for some reason they were more interested in flashing cars doing 30-35mph in a 40mph zone - blimey those flashes are bright, can see an accident being caused in the future!!

So, what system are they now using?
I thought the vans used the LTI20/20 'Dodgyscope' which is a laser device and does not flash. And why would it flash at a car doing 35 in a 40 zone?
This all seems most strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 00:54 
User

Cooperman wrote:
Lakeuk wrote:

So, what system are they now using?
I thought the vans used the LTI20/20 'Dodgyscope' which is a laser device and does not flash. And why would it flash at a car doing 35 in a 40 zone?
This all seems most strange.

No, Mr Callaghan's roadside vultures are using the Lasercam NT, originally manufactured by Poltech. You may recall that this now liquidated Australian speed camera manufacturer paid a heavy price for the deployment of its bent equipment and corrupt business practices. Interestingly, despite all of this, the ACPO and Home Office were still quite happy to do business with Poltech before they went under.

The LaserCam NT is dependent upon flash for its nocturnal use and Mr Callaghan was duly warned on the CSCP forum about the possible dangers of dazzling drivers at night. But remember, he ultimately has orders to obey, so probably only a tragedy will stop the use of this potentially lethal device.

It is interesting to note that the Redflex technical specification for the LaserCam quotes a maximum detection range of 100 meters (328 ft) for daytime operation and only 80 meters (262 ft) at night. I assume that the device's firmware would prevent a speed reading being taken at distances beyond this limit. If not, then the above data would be essential to anyone challenging evidence generated by this device, given that the universally corrupt SCPs frequently deploy their equipment with total disregard for any Type Approval operating parameters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 13:44 
User

Let's hope that someone who is temporarily blinded by the flash hits the van and causes maximum damage. Frankly I don't care what happens to the camera operator either, they create their own situation.
I thought the RTA included a requirement that no light be emitted which could dazzle an oncoming driver.
Maybe we have a conflicting situation in the law now. A challenge perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 20:01 
User

Cooperman wrote:
Let's hope that someone who is temporarily blinded by the flash hits the van and causes maximum damage. Frankly I don't care what happens to the camera operator either, they create their own situation.
I thought the RTA included a requirement that no light be emitted which could dazzle an oncoming driver.
Maybe we have a conflicting situation in the law now. A challenge perhaps?

The trouble is they get told that the equipment is perfectly safe, and they would never be in a position to try it themselves.

Too many times, people place their own experiences and perceptions forward as being the final word in how something should be done, or should work.
Everyone is different! It's like Steve Callaghan's bold assumption that you should be able to drive at a given speed without reference to the speedo. While that might be true for himself, and many other drivers, there is a sizeable majority who CANNOT achieve that skill.
One of my wifes friends was reversing her Zafira, when she hit a litter bin. No damage, she said thinking it was very funny.
I asked how she hit it, and she said she didn't see it. It might just have easily been a small child. There is nothing funny about knocking over a litter bin, and if you cannot develop a skill such as reversing safely, then it's time to do SOMETHING about it. ONE careless mistake is too many, if it happens at the wrong time.

Lets have the flash tested by a wide spectrum of people, and if just one is startled or blinded by it, we can assume Cumbria's roads have become just a little bit more dangerous!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 17:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
HIGHWAY CODE

93-96: Lighting requirements

94: You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

95: You should also

slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

Looking at 94, isn't there some regulation about adjustable /movable hand controlled lights requiring them to be incapable of use when vehicle is in motion??

95 - Just headlights??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 21:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Looking at 94, isn't there some regulation about adjustable /movable hand controlled lights requiring them to be incapable of use when vehicle is in motion??

Yes, but I am pretty sure that ALL the road traffic law applies to lights fitted to vehicles, and the flashes are positioned separately.

I'm not sure what legislation is appropriate though, but there must be something.

I haven't actually seen one in use myself, not a video, it would be interesting to see how bright it is in real life. I have only seen a Truvelo in the corner of my eye, they are quite bright.

Gareth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:02 
User

Quote:
I'm not sure what legislation is appropriate though, but there must be something.

No no no no no no.... YES!
I am sure everything is OK and above board, after all it will be type approved, and thoroughly tested.
A bit like the Titanic really.... :roll: PERFECTLY safe, when used according to "guidlines".

Guidelines are like railway lines, but with the built in excuse that if soemthing derails, you can claim they were never meant to carry responsibility in the weight which caused the derailment!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 17:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Quote:

"actions not conducive to road safety, sand liable to cause an accident" -- oh sorry , who are we mere mortals to critise the infinite wisdom of the safety "experts".

Of course ,in case of an accident, they can always blame "speeding" - their one cause for all, including jumping of bridges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 13:17 
User

I see the BBC have been reporting the traffic news today, and introduced the piece as "problems on the road today...", and went on to name a few hot spots where Christmas shopping traffic was causing hold ups. They finished the list of "problems" by saying "Dont forget the Safety cameras are out on the A592 and the A591" :lol:

So they ARE acknowledged as a problem then!

Nice to see the Christmas shoppers coming to South Lakeland are being targeted, but a shame it is not for having fog lights on needlessly!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 03:18 
User

Saw THISin the News and Star, and couldn't help but wonder if this driver has shown up on a speed camera somewhere! :(

Quote:
New driver banned after rolling car 3 times
By Dave Gudgeon

A TEENAGE driver did a handbrake turn in his car near an old folks’ home just a fortnight after passing his test.

Within weeks Stuart Wise then lost control of his Citroen Saxo on a bend and rolled it, leaving a passenger with cuts to his forehead and arm.

The 18-year-old, of Tarnside House, Tarns, Silloth, was stopped by police between those incidents. They found his vehicle had a smashed windscreen and other dangerous parts.

Wise, who is an apprentice mechanic, narrowly escaped custody when he appeared before Carlisle magistrates.

He admitted dangerous driving in Criffel Street, Silloth, on August 25 and careless driving and having a defective tyre on the B5304 at Wigton on September 6.

He also admitted having dangerous parts on his vehicle in London Road, Carlisle, on September 3.

He was banned from the roads for 12 months and ordered to take an extended test.

He must also carry out 150 hours of unpaid work in the community during the next year during which time he will be supervised by the probation service.

Wise, who must also pay £70 costs, was told by magistrate Christine Egan that he came close to custody.

Prosecutor Alan Lovett said the first incident occurred at about 3.45pm close to the Good Companions Home in Silloth where a witness saw Wise spin his car twice.

Mr Lovett said Wise was travelling too fast around a bend at Wigton when he lost control and rolled the car three times.

Mr Lovett said Wise was stopped in Carlisle, where he has a girlfriend, because blue flashing lights were seen around his silencer box. Officers then found a cracked front windscreen and other faults.

Jonathan Farnworth, defending, said Wise denied spinning his car twice in Silloth. It had been a handbrake U-turn.

But he knew he had acted stupidly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 09:20 
User

On todays news - the Speed Cameras at Ings will now not be turned on until the new year.
An indication of the urgency which Ings is treated with perhaps?
It's horrific accident record of speed related accidents has obviously put it high on a list of priorities.
In the meantime, the partnership will be bearing the cost of purchase and installation :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 22:10 
User

Absolutely top class interview on BBC Radio Cumbria tonight, between Belinda Artingstole, and some motoring safety organisation chappy!! :lol:

It was in response to the news that the government is to end the cash for cameras policy.
The interview was well balanced, fair and addressed everything you could possibly fit into 5 minutes!

Did you record it Paul, so we could all listen?? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 22:47 
Site Admin

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Absolutely top class interview on BBC Radio Cumbria tonight, between Belinda Artingstole, and some motoring safety organisation chappy!! :lol:

It was in response to the news that the government is to end the cash for cameras policy.
The interview was well balanced, fair and addressed everything you could possibly fit into 5 minutes!

Did you record it Paul, so we could all listen?? :roll:

Sorry. It's been far too bonkers today to record anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 21:19 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
On todays news - the Speed Cameras at Ings will now not be turned on until the new year.
An indication of the urgency which Ings is treated with perhaps?
It's horrific accident record of speed related accidents has obviously put it high on a list of priorities.
In the meantime, the partnership will be bearing the cost of purchase and installation :(

They were working on the camera boxes this week, so perhaps we can expect a fanfare on Monday when Kevin gets back from his jollys! :lol:
It's just a shame that the fencing separating the road and cycle path, which was demolished before Christmas was not repaired at the same time! It's only a few hundred yards up the road from the cameras, and it's the second time it has been demolished.
Some might remember the Airport Services van which crashed there last year, or a Mrs Presho's Ford Ka which ended up on it's roof the following night at exactly the same spot. A bit of a BLACK spot, with a worse record than Ings if things dont improve! :oops:

Edited to add:
I took my two sons to Barrow today, and from Bretargh Holt to Barrow, there was no sign of the CSCP mobile van which was being advertised on the radio! You dont suppose somebody pinched it do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 13:46 
User

I believe a Cumbria Talivan was moored up in a large, deep puddle on the A591 by Thirlmere yesterday.
Indeed, there were warnings on Radio Cumbria's traffic bulletins that a van was stuck in such a puddle.. close to Thirlmere on the A591!
The speed limit had not been posted up in Knots, but it must only be a matter of time with the weather we had in Staveley yesterday! :lol:

My source said rumours at Penrith that they are to be painted Battleship Grey are groundless, but since the bump in the car park, some had suggested that fenders should be deployed! :P
Keep an eye out for police vehicles with a row of car tyres slung around the middle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 18:52 
User

I heard a rumour CSCP were taking over "policing" the 10mph limit on Windermere :lol:

Maybe they were getting some practice in?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next