Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:02 
And the best part of it is, he probably doesn't even know it!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:26 

But official complaints about this outrage will generate publicity.

People will want to know why he's getting so defensive and it may encourage public debate on the issues.

We need to be mindful of the bigger picture but also be ready to exploit open goals!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:16 
User

It's just absolutely champion, man :D

(for the uninitiated, that's a reference to a Steve C. alter ego)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:42 
Life Member
Life Member

Complaint sent

Quote:
Acting Chief Constable Christine Twigg
Cumbria Constabulary Headquarters
Carleton Hall
Penrith
Cumbria
CA10 2AU

12 October 2005

Dear Madam,

I am a member of the ‘Safe Speed’ campaign and its website, and I am writing to you with some concerns about letters that have been sent from Steve Callaghan of the Safety Camera Office purportedly for and on behalf of Cumbria Police.

Mr Callaghan has apparently informed the Safe Speed website that unless certain content he objects to is removed from the site, that Cumbria Police will take action against Safe Speed for libel and have the site closed down through its Internet host.

It appears that Mr Callaghan has now gone to the Internet host, again purportedly acting on behalf of Cumbria Police, and has succeeded in getting them to remove content from the website and even suspend the website’s operation for a few hours on 10th October.

I have some questions about this.

1) Is it usual police policy to investigate allegations of defamation/libel against individuals, since libel is a civil matter?

2) Since public authorities like the police are unable to bring actions for libel, why is Mr Callaghan claiming he is acting on behalf of the police? If he wishes to make a complaint about alleged libellous content, he should do so as a private citizen. The ISP’s decision to remove content was undoubtedly made because the request to do so apparently came from Cumbria Police.

3) With the above in mind, does Mr Callaghan have your permission to send ‘content-removal-demand’ letters to Internet hosts using police headed notepaper with his address listed as ‘Police Headquarters’? As I understand it, Mr Callaghan is a non-police employee of the Cumbria Safety Camera partnership, and would appear in this case to be illegally impersonating a police officer.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and seeing some action taken.

Yours sincerely,

Tom Evans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:40 
User

What's the betting we won't be seeing any more posts from Callaghan or his lickspittles on here, under the 'JJ' guise or as anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 13:11 

I would imagine that he's still suffering the effects of a severe dogging!

(Not in the Stan Collymore sense you understand) :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 23:08 
User

Quote:
What's the betting we won't be seeing any more posts from Callaghan or his lickspittles on here, under the 'JJ' guise or as anyone else.

At the minute Mr.C and his lackies are probably trying very hard to keep their jobs :wink:

Let's just say, they are in deep doggy doo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 
User

One of my businesses is in the recruitment area and I know that if, for example, a bona-fide employee of a large company used a company letterhead to write to someone on a personal, civil-legal matter with the implication being that the company whose letterhead was used were supporting the assertion/threat of civil legal action, then that employee would be in serious trouble and that it would be classed as 'gross industrial misconduct' leading to immediate dismissal without any further warnings.
To do so as a non-employee, merely a part of a loose partnership association, and to use a County Constabulary letterhead, with all that implies (and was intended by Callaghan to imply) is about as serious as it can get in terms of misconduct within an employment.
It will be interesting to see if the Chief Constable is happy to allow her name and organisation to be so used. If she does, then she is merely compounding what is already a serious matter. If she does not, then dismissal of those responsible should inevitably follow and that, maybe, is not just Callaghan, but anyone employed by C.C. who may have helped or encouraged him.
Should no satisfactory action be taken by the Cumbria Constabulary, then this MUST be escalated to the media, Police Complaints Authority, County Council and Home Office.
I have every confidence that Paul will do the right thing, as he is the one who was threatened on police headed notepaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:46 
User

Quote:
I have every confidence that Paul will do the right thing, as he is the one who was threatened on police headed notepaper.

Actually, anyone can complain about it - :wink:

Oh, and the PCA is no more, it's the IPCC and they can conduct their powers against Civvies now :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 17:14 
User

Insider wrote:
Quote:

Actually, anyone can complain about it - :wink:

Oh, and the PCA is no more, it's the IPCC and they can conduct their powers against Civvies now :wink:

Some of us have already complained to Ms. Christine Twigg, Acting Chief Constable. It remains to be seen what her Professional Standards Team recommend her to do and whether she actually does do something positively and publicly, as indeed she should.
If no further action is taken, or seen to be taken, then further escalation is, one might believe, inevitable. Certainly the IPCC, the media, the local M.P. and all County Councillors must me contacted and action from them demanded in the public interest.
A simple 'slap on the wrist' for something as serious as using police headed notepaper to issue a threat/warning to a third party in a private and personal matter is VERY SERIOUS INDEED.
I can tell you this, if you worked for Ford Motor Company and used their letterhead to threaten someone you felt had libelled you personally and in public, you would simply receive your 'P45GT' - this does '0 to the Job Centre' in one second!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 21:54 
User

Methinks "Clanger callaghan" has gone down faster than the Titanic this time........cant say im surprised.

The old saying about giving them enough rope etc........If its confirmed, then we shall certainly be having a party this end.

In the meantime, i propose 2 minutes silence at a certain time; Not for cscp i hasten to add, but for its victims; Ie, all those who have died and their grieving families since the cscp started their inept crusade of "saving lives". (if only a smilie existed to express my feelings on THAT particular point! )

Good idea, bad idea?

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 01:48 
Site Admin

DeltaF wrote:
Methinks "Clanger callaghan" has gone down faster than the Titanic this time........cant say im surprised.

The old saying about giving them enough rope etc........If its confirmed, then we shall certainly be having a party this end.

In the meantime, i propose 2 minutes silence at a certain time; Not for cscp i hasten to add, but for its victims; Ie, all those who have died and their grieving families since the cscp started their inept crusade of "saving lives". (if only a smilie existed to express my feelings on THAT particular point! )

Good idea, bad idea?

It's potentially a good idea, but it's very difficult to get right and hence risky. I wouldn't touch it as it stands. I wish I could define what the risks are, but it's more feel than fact.

One similar idea (Thanks to ABD chap Eamon Scott) was to turn up at partnership HQ with the requsite number of mock coffins when an increase in road deaths was announced. (This for a press photo call, of course) I think there's a nice strong publicity point there with little room for the message to be misunderstood.

I want a film of a Talivan being ceremoniously dropped from a heavy lifting helicopter into very deep water...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 08:21 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
I want a film of a Talivan being ceremoniously dropped from a heavy lifting helicopter into very deep water...

Ahhh! Now, I can think of a certain BBC TV production crew who might be able to help you with that.....

Who could it possibly be...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 09:37 

DeltaF wrote:

Good idea, bad idea?

Bad idea. Very bad idea. One can't deride this:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 5452#45452

or this,

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 2794#42794

or this,

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 1089#31089

or particularly this,

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 0356#20356

As being cheap, tasteless stunts and then propose one of your own. And lets not have any of that 'using their own tactics against them' nonsense please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 
User

The news of Mr Callaghan allegedly using police stationary for a personal matter is spreading :)

I for one will be watching very eagerly for Ms Twigg 's response. Was he acting on her behalf or not? It's a simple yes/no question as I see it.

This is most definitely "public interest" now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:23 
User

TonyOut wrote:
The news of Mr Callaghan allegedly using police stationary for a personal matter is spreading :)

I for one will be watching very eagerly for Ms Twigg 's response. Was he acting on her behalf or not? It's a simple yes/no question as I see it.

This is most definitely "public interest" now.

Maybe you should write to her directly and ask the all-important question as to whether he was acting on behalf of her and her organisation, or inappropriately using police letterheads for private correspondence.
Her eventual answer will, indeed, be most interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:43 
User

This is all ticking away quite well on 'Pistonheads' now. I wonder if 'Destroyer' will post there on the appropriate thread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 13:11 
User

I must have missed it :roll:

Any pointers, I've had a good scan and search but to no avail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 14:57 

Insider wrote:
Any pointers, I've had a good scan and search but to no avail

It's in SP&L, so you need to be registered to see it. Link is here:

http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic. ... 6&f=10&h=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 15:33 
User

Yes, it's really going along on PH.
Good, keep it going all the way!
'JJ's' gone a bit quiet!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next