Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 13:24 

I just saw a bit in the Whitehaven News about Copeland Council going to public consultation shortly on the best measures for preventing speeding and dangerous driving. I'll be watching out for that one then! Apparently they'd just had a presentation from Capita Symonds telling them how speeding was the "main killer on Copeland's roads"...

Hmmm. Wonder what sound data they based that on then?!

When the consultation comes round, I think I'll suggest having a bunch of blokes in vans with speed guns. After all, if speed really IS the No. 1 killer they shouldn't have to target speeding motorists for very long before they start making a dent in the fatality figures! What do you reckon? Do you think 2 years should be enough to make a noticeable difference?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 21:08 
User

Quote:
August 2004 to July 2005: Copeland = two fatal and 15 serious injury accidents

CSCP wrote:
48% of all recorded fatal collisions 33 per cent of all serious injury collisions were due to drivers aged between 16 and 25

CSCP wrote:
Breaking down the figures even further, 16-20 year old drivers were involved in 11 fatal, 56 serious and 338 slight injury collisions. Older drivers between the ages of 21-25 were implicated in 11 fatal, 45 serious and 253 slight injury collisions.

overall
CSCP wrote:
...one driver between the ages of 16 and 25 were involved in 22 fatal collisions (48% of all recorded fatal collisions) and 101 serious injury accidents (33 per cent of all serious injury collisions).

So, once the cameras are installed, not only SHOULD you see an immediate fall, but nearly half of those caught should be under the age of 25.
However, the CSCP website ALSO tells us...
CSCP wrote:
Putting paid to the myth that young two-wheeled tearaways are more likely to be killed or seriously injured, the statistics supplied to Cumbria Safety Cameras from Cumbria Constabulary's Traffic Management team show that:

In the 31-40 year old age group, there were three fatalities. nine serious injury and 15 slight injury accidents
In the 41-50 year old age group there was one fatality, 11 serious and 11 slight injury accidents
No drivers between the age of 16 and 30 have been killed, but ten have been seriously injured and 14 slight injuries

In the 51-60 year old age group, there was one fatality, plus three serious and one slight injury accidents
The majority of all accidents involving motorcyclists occurred as drivers lost control while cornering, followed by bikers colliding with oncoming vehicles while overtaking on normal carriageways and also while crossing over double white lines.

So now you have been presented with the bewildering "one size fits all" or "all things to all men" statistics, just really what are they hoping to acheive???
They obviously thought they had acheived it here but it all turned sour in the next few months as fatals CLIMBED ABOVE the previous year!

To summarise: You should be cautious when viewing the figure of out of control statisticians who are employed to make things look good when they are not! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 21:22 

Thanks Earnest. When you put it like that, I can't think why I ever thought enforcement by cameras didn't work!

How could I have been so stupid?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 22:13 
User

Sorry, I think I misread that... did you say ENFORCEMENT?
Cameras take pictures of a crime being committed, ALLOW it to CONTINUE, and merely send out a penalty which may or may not lead to the guilty party paying up (Dodgy reg. plate, failure to identify driver, foreign vehicle, etc.).
They do NOT ENFORCE.

And all this is an expensive business....
The Westmorland Gazette, 2003 wrote:
It aims to cut the number of deaths and serious accidents on roads in Cumbria by 15 per cent between now and 2006.

But it is also expected to lead to more than 20,200 people being fined for speeding in its first year because of the need to meet the £1.3m cost of the scheme.

Steve Callaghan, Safety Camera project manager for Cumbria Constabulary, said: "It must be stressed from the outset that this campaign is about safety and not income generation." ......[apart from the need to re-coupe £1.3million]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 09:11 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
But it is also expected to lead to more than 20,200 people being fined for speeding in its first year because of the need to meet the £1.3m cost of the scheme.

Not only is it expensive business but they have also done their sums before they install the cameras. When you take into account what they’re saying, they’ve obviously monitored the area first to get a figure for how many motorists they think they will catch speeding. What happens if they don’t catch the expected amount and don’t reach their target – will they take out the cameras because it is not a viable money earner, and won’t pay their wages? This just adds more to the fact that it’s all about money and not saving lives.