Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 14:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 21:21 
User

I had the closest near miss of my life yesterday in Kendal town centre.

Only just managed to avoid collision with a vehicle making the illegal turn from Windermere Rd direct into Stricklandgate.

I revisted the scene later and watched for 15 min - saw 6 more vehicles make this banned turn, 2 near collisions.

Come on BIB sort this out before there's a KSI

Obviously we can't expect any help from CSCP as it's all happening within the limit... :o

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 21:55 
User

Busses are ALLOWED to make that turn.
As you approach from the Windermere end, the prohibitive signs are easily obscured if there is a wagon or van in front of you!
Nick Raymond promised strict enforcement, and claims these motorists are risking lives, and causing jams on Windermere Road - so what about the buses then?

This is the same Nick Raymond who after yet another near miss on a Zebra crossing in Windermere (school and sheltered housing for OAP's adjacent) claimed it wasn't worth spending £48,000 on a PELICAN because nobody had died or been seriously injured enough YET!
Tell that to the Policeman who got knocked off his motorcycle and spent 4 months off work after he stopped to allow somebody cross, and numpty behind him didn't see him!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 22:21 
User

Indeed, buses are allowed to make the right turn into Stricklandgate - I watched 3 yesterday - the drivers all struggled to get a good view before proceeding - traffic held up behind them.

Personally I think they should re-route the buses and put some sort of barrier in the road to stop the turn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 23:26 
Police Officer and Member

kendalian wrote:
I had the closest near miss of my life yesterday in Kendal town centre.

Only just managed to avoid collision with a vehicle making the illegal turn from Windermere Rd direct into Stricklandgate.

I revisted the scene later and watched for 15 min - saw 6 more vehicles make this banned turn, 2 near collisions.

Come on BIB sort this out before there's a KSI

Obviously we can't expect any help from CSCP as it's all happening within the limit... :o

I had the same experience a few days ago while cycling to work, local car came straight over from Windermere road into town, did not stop or even slow down. A collision was only avoided by the very sharp reaction of the driver coming down Sandes Ave who got quite a shock. Driver has been reported for due care.

I have also reported the lack of paint on the road which is now making it more difficult for non locals to appreciate that it's an obligatory left turn.

I have reported numerous motorists for driving straight over, only when they cause a tailback of traffic while waiting to turn into Sandes Ave. If it happens at night when quiet, they get a quick word (and a sniff). :wink:

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 21:31 
User

Alternative suggestion would be to change the timing on the lights so the traffic from Sandes Ave sets off say 15-20 seconds before traffic from Windermere Rd.

At least then the traffic from Windermere Rd would, in normally busy traffic flow, see traffic coming round from Sandes Ave and realise they had to cross traffic to get into Stricklandgate. That's the key issue (breach of mandatory left turn notwithstanding...) - they don't realise they are crossing oncoming traffic until it's too late... :evil:

Come on Raymond, sort it out before it's too late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 23:45 
New User
New User

Does not matter how much paint is on the road. The only way to stop traffic from going on to Sandes Ave is to put some kind of centre parting up that clearly show non locals.

Some drivers panic when in unformiler surrounding and then when they see the paint on the round or any kind of proper sign would panic and cause an acciddent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 14:25 

Zafria wrote:
Does not matter how much paint is on the road. The only way to stop traffic from going on to Sandes Ave is to put some kind of centre parting up that clearly show non locals.

Some drivers panic when in unformiler surrounding and then when they see the paint on the round or any kind of proper sign would panic and cause an acciddent.

Unfortunately I think they are now realising that they are going to be repainting the road markings every couple of months, the way that HGVs have to ride them every time they turn round from Windermere road side of Stricklandgate, onto Sandes Avenue.

Here's my impression of how I'd like to see the junction - look! no traffic lights!

Perhaps an instruction not to go ahead or turn right if coming from the Windermere side during rush hour.

Is there any obvious problem to this?

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 15:00 

That's exactly what I thought they ought to do in the first place too. Without the traffic lights there would be no problem getting out of the end of either Stricklandgate or Maude Street, as the existence of the other existing traffic lights 100 yards either way up Windermere Road and Sandes Avenue would ensure plenty of gaps for emerging vehicles to exploit.

In fact, when they put the current scheme together my immediate conclusion was that the traffic lights had been put there solely to fulfil some mischevious hidden agenda, in order to deliberately create unnecessary congestion.

This view is further bolstered by the addition of pedestrian controlled crossings deliberately placed 50 yards from existing light-controled junctions. If the planners were genuinely trying to address congestion surely it is patently obvious that the crossings should be integrated into the lights controlling the junctions.

Ian I think it's about time you and I got our own complete town centre traffic scheme together. Between us I reckon we've put most of it to rights now - do you think we could charge a fee on a similar scale to Capita?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 21:46 
New User
New User

That seems like a good idea. Have you put it forward to the council and your superiors. If so I hope that they see this as a great Idea. Jt's comment on congestion would also be solved. As the present system take you at least half to three quaters of an hour to get in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 13:25 
User

I monitored the situation again yesterday afternoon.

No improvement whatsoever, numerous vehicles still going "straight ahead" into Stricklandgate - 2 very near misses as well.

How long before there's a KSI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 23:21 

Zafria wrote:
That seems like a good idea. Have you put it forward to the council and your superiors. If so I hope that they see this as a great Idea. Jt's comment on congestion would also be solved. As the present system take you at least half to three quaters of an hour to get in.

I have contacted my traffic management dept, highways and the council.

Replies suggest that they are assimilating all the information to make a considered judgement.

Might that be a first?! :wink:

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 23:10 
User

Nearly got wiped out by a Saab on Saturday attempting to turn right onto Maude Steet as I was bang on the apex heading out.
And to add insult to injury he sounded HIS horn in disgust!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 00:13 
User

paul w wrote:
Nearly got wiped out by a Saab on Saturday attempting to turn right onto Maude Steet as I was bang on the apex heading out.
And to add insult to injury he sounded HIS horn in disgust!!!

If he wasn't local, and had got to that position behind a bus, van or lorry, he probably didn't see the signs!!

To make that system work, they (CCC) should purchase the old Babyworld site, demolish it, and make a decent junction, which articulated lorries can negotiate without swinging out wide, and put a central barrier up.
They should call Stagecoaches bluff, and tell them to pi** off out of Kendal, instead of making US council tax payers pay for the subsidy they have just been given, and allow somebody else to run a decent service which pays mostly for it's self. Only the needy should get a subsidy, in the form of travel tokens!!

When Lancaster's Blue bus co. tried to establish a service to Windermere, Stagecoach ran buses 5 minutes in front and behind, to make sure there were no passengers to get on the Lancaster buses.
As soon as Lancaster caved in and abandoned the service, they went back to the crap service they had always provided!!
Staveley to Windermere for three adults and four children £13.60 :x

At those prices I thought we were getting shares in the company!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 17:50 
User

I monitored the situation again on Friday.

Despite IanH's efforts, nothing has been done. The paint is even more faded now :o

Still numerous vehicles going straight ahead onto Stricklandgate, and an increasing number of vehicles turning right into Maude St (causing tailbacks).

Time for some police action to be taken and fast. It's not exactly far from the nick is it? :lol: