It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:46 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

JJ wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Looks like the van driver will be done for parking on the zig zags while he dropped off his son. The layby across the road is taken up with a car left there on a semi-permanent basis in order to advertise a business, with which it is emblazoned, and cars from the nearby old folks bungalows! Funny they have to walk all that way. :(

The driver of the Fiat, who passed the van and failed to slow down sufficiently, despite not having a view of the crossing looks likely to escape unpunished! Good job the two cars behind were prompted to brake by the presence of the van obscuring the crossing, or they might have run into the back of the Fiat!!

Overtaking in a ziz-zag and causing danger must have some contributory liability surely.

I think s/he had no option but to overtake if the van was parked. However, the rub is it should have if necessary been done at slower than walking pace. I've had to do that on occasions where people have parked in such selfish (and illegal) manner. It is even more dangerous if the pedestrian is a bit slow and sees the vehicle park up - the pedestrian may well put this down to an "I'm stopping for you".

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:37 
User

JJ wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Looks like the van driver will be done for parking on the zig zags while he dropped off his son. The layby across the road is taken up with a car left there on a semi-permanent basis in order to advertise a business, with which it is emblazoned, and cars from the nearby old folks bungalows! Funny they have to walk all that way. :(

The driver of the Fiat, who passed the van and failed to slow down sufficiently, despite not having a view of the crossing looks likely to escape unpunished! Good job the two cars behind were prompted to brake by the presence of the van obscuring the crossing, or they might have run into the back of the Fiat!!

Overtaking in a ziz-zag and causing danger must have some contributory liability surely.

I hope so!! By the very fact a van is parked on the zig zags, you cannot see the crossing clearly, and should adjust your driving accordingly - witness says she did not brake until alongside the van!!

There is an accident at Ings, can you see anything on your Cameras JJ's?
I can hear the sirens from home, at present :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 21:01 
User

Cumbria County Council's response in the Westmorland Gazette this week?

Quote:
"We have a waiting list of 150 such schemes but only have funding for four of them over the next year"

Hmm. Should have sacked the chief executive then, instead of letting him resign with a golden handshake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 21:17 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Cumbria County Council's response in the Westmorland Gazette this week?

Quote:
"We have a waiting list of 150 such schemes but only have funding for four of them over the next year"

And meanwhile the camera partnerships are raking in profit by the million.

Is it any wonder road safety is in such a mess? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 08:33 
User

We should'nt complain - CCC just gave £10,000 for the Kendal Torchlight Procession and another festival, in order to provide more street entertainers!
Maybe they'll get Steve to come and do a turn, and get the medieval market back! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 09:02 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:36 
User

Radio Cumbria did piece yesterday morning about the School Crossing in Windermere
Nick Raymond, Cumbria County Council's road safety spokesman made the astonishing admission that the injuries so far have not been serious enough to justify a PELICAN crossing - thus illustrating so well the way road safety is managed in Cumbria.

He quoted the cost - £48,000 as being too high for CCC to afford.
How much have Cumbria County Council paid for the speed cameras at Ings, which are NOT addressing accidents caused by speed? And before you say they receive the money from the fines, correct me if I am wrong, but is'nt the money ONLY reimbursed at the end of the year - the set up cost is born initially by the partnership members, while the Treasury hold the funds collected for up to 12 months pending the yearly audit?

It's also worth remembering just how much money they (CCC) paid ex-Chief Executive Officer Louis Victory (£125,000 p.a.), and his response when his massive pay rise was queried - "It's because I am worth it!" (which he quite clearly was not, as CCC got a zero rating from the Audit Commission!).

My wife witnessed the latest accident, and as a result was deeply shocked, thinking the boy had been seriously injured. Indeed, it seems from the damage to the car which struck him, it was a miracle that he was not injured more seriously!

Nick Raymond and CCC seem to be putting an extremely small price on the life of a child or pensioner - NOT EVEN TWENTY WEEKS WAGES for their ex-CEO! They even gave a group of villagers £15,000 to buy their own village pub and prevent it's closure!
It is now a matter of regret with me, and I am sure some of the others who responded during the mornings program, that it was not Nick Raymond who fell victim to somebodies careless driving on the crossing!!! It's about time these Council experts did some learning at the sharp end :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 22:24 
User

The Neighbourhood Forum meeting reports that CCC have offered £22,000 to make the crossing more visible, and paint red non-slip surface on the road, and create a central refuge AND a VAS unit.
My understanding is that somebody with knowledge of how these things work, has advised against accepting this "interim" measure on the grounds that if the PELICAN is £48,000, and the "interim" measure is £22,000, then it is NEVER going to be "interim", but the final answer as far as the county council are concerned.

My own thought is that since two of the accidents which I know of personally, involved motorists who failed to see anyone on the crossing, and were therefore proceeding with NO intention of slowing down or stopping, a non slip surface is going to be b**ger all use!! Also the VAS unit will drag their attention to their speedo, and a pedestrian on the crossing will soooner or later pay with their life!
If ONLY it were Nick Raymond, if this was HIS idea!! :reaper: