The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 21:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... y-letters/

Quote:
Good drivers who stick to speed limits will be sent congratulatory letters through the post, police have announced.

Any letters sent out will look to praise driving, speed and general behaviour by motorists as part of a “road respect” culture.

PC Heidi Moxam, Road Casualty Reduction Officer for the south-west force, said: "Our aim is to create a road respect culture in Dorset by highlighting the benefits of being more considerate to each other on the road."

However, within hours of its announcement, the scheme drew criticism online with Dorset residents questioning how effective it would be.

One said: "I thought the primary purpose of the police was to enforce the law.

"Maybe this is yet another example of the police 're-inventing' their role in society?"

How will the police be able to tell? And much of the time you have no alternative anyway because you're stuck behind a queue of other vehicles.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 02:11 
Site Admin

PeterE wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/18/drivers-stick-speed-limits-will-sent-congratulatory-letters/

Quote:
Good drivers who stick to speed limits will be sent congratulatory letters through the post, police have announced.

Any letters sent out will look to praise driving, speed and general behaviour by motorists as part of a “road respect” culture.

PC Heidi Moxam, Road Casualty Reduction Officer for the south-west force, said: "Our aim is to create a road respect culture in Dorset by highlighting the benefits of being more considerate to each other on the road."

However, within hours of its announcement, the scheme drew criticism online with Dorset residents questioning how effective it would be.

One said: "I thought the primary purpose of the police was to enforce the law.

"Maybe this is yet another example of the police 're-inventing' their role in society?

Another commented: "What a load of rubbish, surely the testament to good driving is to have a clean record for many years, not some stupid letter through the post."

Jack Cousens, head of roads policy for the AA, praised the idea however warned that members of the public needed to see action against anti-social behaviour too.
"By flipping this idea on its head and promoting good behaviour, Dorset Police could well see some positive changes in how drivers, and all road users, interact with one another,” he said.
"Nevertheless, however you campaign, the need for enforcement will always be necessary.
"Praising good practice is one thing, but the public will still want to see cops in cars stamping out dangerous actions such as using a hand-held mobile phone behind the wheel and anti-social actions such as tailgating."
Dorset Police said that the full scheme will be launched shortly but did not provide a date.
"

How will the police be able to tell? And much of the time you have no alternative anyway because you're stuck behind a queue of other vehicles.

I've added the rest of the article.

Whilst I'd approve of encouragement to try to narrow the big rift between the police and public, I'm not sure this won't just be considered a complete waste of good money.
We are 'expected' to obey the rules of the road, so isn't this almost sarcastic?
How many will find this 'police letter' confusing or disbelieve what it states. Causing confusion and blurring 'the think blue line' will doubtless end up wasting police time when many call to check the details.

Yes indeed - will it be 'auto testing' of ever new 'equipment' or a police patrol which I doubt!
So who is to send out all these new letters ? And what permission or right?

I do think it is a 'confusing concept', and a waste of money with zero proof that it will do any good whatsoever.
IMHO it is far better to buy a few more police shifts, and get a few more trafpol patrols!

The fact that they are grateful that you've not 'sped or whatever', is irrelevant.
Are they saying that speeding is so out of control that this is some desperate attempt to try and change behaviours?

Or are they so arrogant as to believe people will be 'proud' to have an 'approval letter' from them ?
And where is each persons permission for them to use our data ? That will go against the GDPR rules !?
After all we have NOT provided them with permission for them to spam us?!

I think this will back fire on them as it's just too ill thought out, if this article is accurate.
Dorset police have behaved disgracefully in responses to serious queries in many aspects of their speed camera policies and applications, better to spend the money on sorting themselves out.
They have a VERY long way to climb to re-win public respect and support from what I have gathered, this idea isn't it.

Profile Send private message