Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 
User

:gatso2: From AOL News

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2015/05/24/vide ... d%3D353498

Cyclist jumps red light and crashes into bus (video)

Cyclist comes forward to explain what happened at junction

By Roshina Jowaheer, May 24, 2015

A video of a cyclist jumping a red light and crashing into a double-decker bus seconds later has gone viral.

The video, filmed by a motorcyclist and posted on YouTube, shows the man passing the red light between Portland Street and Oxford Street in Manchester on May 18.

Commenting with the post, YouTube user Captf wrote: "Very short one. On the way home tonight, witnessed a red light jumping cyclist meet the side of a bus.

"I have zero sympathies for the guy. But, he was OK in the end."

YouTube user charlie baker responded to the video, admitting he was the cyclist.

He wrote: "It was me. Thought i'd just get the lights, hence the speed. Realised it wasn't happening, squeezed the front brake. Cable snapped. Not enough time to lose speed on back wheel in the wet. Not fun."

Captf replied: "Sorry for the way this has gone out virally [I had no idea it would kick off so much], as the shares have not been my doing.

"I can only comment on what I see... But, I can accept that your front brake failed; however, the video shows you pedalling forward until you've passed the stop line. It's at the crossing it looks like you hit the 'oh, shi' moment.

"I can also accept that the taxi jumping the light may not have helped your perceptions [and I honestly didn't even realise he had jumped it, as I had become more focused on you], but the light changed when you were 10-15m back, and you continued to pedal."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 18:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

From The Times today:

"The number of cyclists seriously hurt or killed in Britain has soared by more than a third in five years amid claims that concerns over safety are preventing many people taking to the road.

A report found that major injuries among cyclists have increased by 38 per cent since 2009, despite declines in accidents among all other types of road users. Some 3,500 cyclists were hospitalised or killed in 2014, it emerged."

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 08:59 
User

malcolmw wrote:
From The Times today:

"The number of cyclists seriously hurt or killed in Britain has soared by more than a third in five years amid claims that concerns over safety are preventing many people taking to the road.

A report found that major injuries among cyclists have increased by 38 per cent since 2009, despite declines in accidents among all other types of road users. Some 3,500 cyclists were hospitalised or killed in 2014, it emerged."

Here's hoping this will be the first of many fully segregated properly designed cycle ways in our towns and cities

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio ... -east-west

So we can see more of this:

and less of this: