Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 07:54 

For the likes of Weepy who believe that slower speeds mean more time to react and less accidents, perhaps these people can explain why lower speeds on THIS .... http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/tran ... -cash/..... road have led to more accidents?

Speeds on an urban road go down by 5MPH and accidents double......mmmmmm! :nono:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 09:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Doesn’t matter what proof or evidence you throw at BRAKEites, it’s their faith, their god, and you now how illogical some religious fanatics are.

Now get on your knees and pray with me Grabs...

Our Scamera, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy pu£po$e.
Thy Kingdom come; rather too quickly along the road for our liking
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in the NIP
Give us this fine, their daily bread
And don’t forgive us our trespasses
As we don’t forgive them that catch us for perfectly safe driving
And lead us not into speeding, but deliver us from this evil
For fine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory
For ever and ever.
Amen.

:D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 13:44 
User

In answer to your question?

By what mechanism does a slower speed lead to less accidents? The recommended distance between vehicles reduces with speed - not just bringing them closer together, but reducing the gap that any pedestrian can cross through.

And slow does not mean less chance of a fatality in ALL circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19540689
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18956540

No wonder they used to have red flags waved in front of these vehicles.

And it is not just steam...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-14911089
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107795/Tragedy-year-old-girl-run-grandparents-driveway-mother-reversing-car.html

Twice last night, a young girl on crutches stepped off the pavement in front of me - once as I drove home, then again when I went out again.
It is a good job it was me driving and not one of our neighbours!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 14:12 
User

In answer to your question?

By what mechanism does a slower speed lead to less accidents? The recommended distance between vehicles reduces with speed - not just bringing them closer together, but reducing the gap that any pedestrian can cross through.

And slow does not mean less chance of a fatality in ALL circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19540689
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18956540

No wonder they used to have red flags waved in front of these vehicles.

And it is not just steam...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-14911089
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2107795/Tragedy-year-old-girl-run-grandparents-driveway-mother-reversing-car.html

Twice last night, a young girl on crutches stepped off the pavement in front of me - once as I drove home, then again when I went out again.
It is a good job it was me driving and not one of our neighbours!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 19:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Another answer - heard in a commercial garage just aftr the 56 limit was imposed on trucks - "At 56 mph, we get bored drivers and bored drivers = accidents. "For those car drivers that have never tried it- it's not nice driving ( or being forced to drive ) at low speeds. Think there's one or two ex GPO blokes on here - if so they will tell you of the frustrations of driving limited vans. It certainly taught you to anticipate well in advance ,as you never had the luxury of using any speed to get out of danger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 
User

As there is a power-law relationship between collisions, injury and speed it is well established that generally fewer collisions occur as speed decreases. There is a assive reduction in serious and fatal injuries with reduction in speed with the power being 3 and 4 respectively for those injuries.
There is a large increase in collisions in congested and slow traffic but serious and fatal injuries...well there are almost none.
Keep trying but I fear you are nt going to win this one. Ha ha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for stating the obvious. :doh:

The whole point and purpose is that we have a functioning society which serves commerce without unnecessarily impeding road users, or to the danger/detriment of human life, and minimizing the impact on the environment. It's a compromise and balance, like so many things in life.

If you're saying this can't be done because there is a physical law which states the only way we can ultimately protect all humans is by making all road transport approach zero you're an idiot!

It sounds to me you are saying the second most idiotic thing, make it so slow such that even if a human should somehow just materialize in front of any vehicle they will survive.

So ~15mph everywhere? Would that suit you and the unrealistic, disfunctional, world you would like to see? :loco:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:14 
User

Oh dear, you have missed the point once again.
I agree and fully support the idea of compromise; the law, regulation and practice on the roads is based upon compromise. I don't agree with compromise when it extends to defying the law when kool drivers with high opinions of themselves think it fit to do so.
Try again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:43 

Indeed, Greenshed, and, let me guess, would you fully support the "compromise" being at the current speed limits by any chance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:45 

Quote:
It's well established that generally fewer collisions occur as speed decrease......

If it's so well established, then why is the accident rate for urban roads (generally 30MPH), TWICE AS HIGH, as the accident rate for rural roads (generally60MPH)? ....oops, Greenshed wrong again?....surely not!

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 13:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And 3rdly..

I was addressing the point you were making that
GreenShed wrote:
As there is a power-law relationship between collisions, injury and speed it is well established that generally fewer collisions occur as speed decreases. There is a assive reduction in serious and fatal injuries with reduction in speed with the power being 3 and 4 respectively for those injuries. There is a large increase in collisions in congested and slow traffic but serious and fatal injuries...well there are almost none.
which is mind-numbingly simplistic, as is the over-simplistic solution of slowing things down to the lowest common denominator of stupid kool, drivers.

As a result, millions of safe drivers like me are now forced to do :40: where once was a :nsl: or :30: where once we could do :40: or :20: where once we could do :30: etc. etc.

And the stupid thing is us safe drivers wouldn't go faster than is safe for the conditions anyway BUT the idiot kool drivers will still drive unsafely.

You don't get that the idiots will still continue to be idiots culpable of adding to the KSI while the SAFE will continue to pick up fines.

Please don't tar me with the same brush as dangerous drivers just because I may go over a dumb posted, newly modified, limit! It is a technical infringement and political agenda, not a dangerous lifestyle. I've lost count of the number of times I have followed, (not always immediately behind), police vehicles which are not 'on a shout' along such roads.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 14:34 
User

Big Tone wrote:
And 3rdly..

I was addressing the point you were making that
GreenShed wrote:
As there is a power-law relationship between collisions, injury and speed it is well established that generally fewer collisions occur as speed decreases. There is a assive reduction in serious and fatal injuries with reduction in speed with the power being 3 and 4 respectively for those injuries. There is a large increase in collisions in congested and slow traffic but serious and fatal injuries...well there are almost none.
which is mind-numbingly simplistic, as is the over-simplistic solution of slowing things down to the lowest common denominator of stupid kool, drivers.

As a result, millions of safe drivers like me are now forced to do :40: where once was a :nsl: or :30: where once we could do :40: or :20: where once we could do :30: etc. etc.

And the stupid thing is us safe drivers wouldn't go faster than is safe for the conditions anyway BUT the idiot kool drivers will still drive unsafely.

You don't get that the idiots will still continue to be idiots culpable of adding to the KSI while the SAFE will continue to pick up fines.

Please don't tar me with the same brush as dangerous drivers just because I may go over a dumb posted, newly modified, limit! It is a technical infringement and political agenda, not a dangerous lifestyle. I've lost count of the number of times I have followed, (not always immediately behind), police vehicles which are not 'on a shout' along such roads.

It is the attitude you display here that makes you a danger; I knew you would say what you have before you said it. I place you in the group of drivers I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

GreenShed wrote:
It is the attitude you display here that makes you a danger; I knew you would say what you have before you said it. I place you in the group of drivers I mentioned above.
Oh, after 35+ years accident free driving I am still nonetheless 'an accident waiting to happen' because I followed a traf pol doing 35 mph in a :30: which has until recently been a :40:

As said, it is a technical infringement and one which insurance companies understand even if you don't. You seem not to be able to separate law from danger which makes you more of a risk than me...

Last edited by Big Tone on Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 15:04 

Don't rise to it Tone! I'm sure he's not serious, he's just enjoying winding you up! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 16:56 
User

Big Tone wrote:
GreenShed wrote:
Oh, after 35+ years accident free driving I am still nonetheless 'an accident waiting to happen' because I followed a traf pol doing 35 mph in a :30: which has until recently been a :40:

As said, it is a technical infringement and one which insurance companies understand even if you don't. You seem not to be able to separate law from danger which makes you more of a risk than me...

You reason like a 5-year old.
That would of course be if your remarks can be honoured with reason as a description.
You typify the driver who regards himself as infallible and is therefore a great danger; you are an accident waiting to happen and are accelerating towards it. Let us hope there is but one victim should the inevitable occur.
I do hope it does not.
I wonder what proportion of drivers fatally injured are involved in just one fatal collision...100%. 99, 98......50% who knows. I think between 99 and 100% maybe.
How many drivers are involved in more than one fatal collision, hardly any.
Can't you see that reducing risk will make you and others involved in fewer fatal or serious collisions than by you and orhers continuing to engage in risky sport on the road? Can't you see that "it hasn't happened to me..." is short of just one word? The word is "YET"
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:30 

Are you going to back down on your error about 30MPH areas having a lower accident/collisions rate than 60MPH roads or are you still going to bluff that one through?....(or bury your head in sand and hope it goes away.....) :sub: :dighole:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:43 

GreenShed wrote:
...should the inevitable occur.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
GreenShed wrote:
I do hope it does not.

Come on Greenshed! Leaving aside the mild amusement that a phrase like "should the inevitable" generates in itself, SURELY you can see the utter fallacy of your chosen argument right there, encapsulated in those few words? It is NOT inevitable - in fact far from it, Tone's chances of dying (either with or without anyone else) in a road traffic accident are pretty small. You know that as well as we do, or you wouldn't have added your touching "I hope it does not" at the end!

Now either it is inevitable or it isn't. Which is it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 19:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Tone- :trolls: .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 23:58 

Quote:
You reason like a 5-year old.
That would of course be if your remarks can be honoured with reason as a description.
You typify the driver who regards himself as infallible and is therefore a great danger; you are an accident waiting to happen and are accelerating towards it. Let us hope there is but one victim should the inevitable occur.
I do hope it does not.
I wonder what proportion of drivers fatally injured are involved in just one fatal collision...100%. 99, 98......50% who knows. I think between 99 and 100% maybe.
How many drivers are involved in more than one fatal collision, hardly any.
Can't you see that reducing risk will make you and others involved in fewer fatal or serious collisions than by you and orhers continuing to engage in risky sport on the road? Can't you see that "it hasn't happened to me..." is short of just one word? The word is "YET"
Good luck.

Of course, speaking from experience...which is something that you seem to be lacking totally, the worst and most dangerous drivers are those that drive well below the speed limit....could this be you, greenshed? and yet they seem to criticise everyone who has the audacity to overtake, go faster than 40MPH. Doesn't inattention cause more accidents than exceeding a speed limit...you seem to suffer from in attention quite badly...not even being able to quote official figures correctly....oooh dear....bang!!!!