The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Had to happen one day
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 23:14 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Driver fined £60... for admiring a pretty girl :lol:

I would say he was very unfortunate to have had a traffic patrol in sight :shock:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 02:25 
Site Admin

Driver fined £60... for admiring a pretty girl: Police insist motorists must not be distracted by 'gorgeous people'
By Alun Rees - PUBLISHED: 00:40, 8 July 2012 | UPDATED: 14:32, 8 July 2012

Doug Maclean admits getting a 'good eyeful' of the attractive pedestrian
But 26-year-old gunsmith claims he was always in full control of his car
Pulled over by police officers for driving without due care and attention
Mr Maclean: 'Nicking me for looking at a pretty girl is no way to earn a living'

It is a temptation to which most male motorists have surely succumbed.

But for Doug Maclean, taking his eye off the road to steal a glance at an attractive female pedestrian has landed him with a £60 fine – after his sneaky look was caught on police camera.
Officers said he was driving without due care and attention, but the 26-year-old complained: ‘Nicking another bloke for looking at a pretty girl is no way to earn a living.’

'The girl was a cracker': Doug Maclean (pictured) has been fined £60 after being pulled over by police for taking his eye off the road to steal a glance at an attractive female pedestrian as he drove past
He added: ‘The girl had a very nice backside and I wanted to check out her face to see if it was as nice as her figure. It’s what practically every bloke on the planet would do.’
Mr Maclean admits that the photographic evidence shows him leaning over and staring out of the back window, having driven past the good-looking stranger – but he insists he was in full control of his car.

He said: ‘I saw a police car parked about 150 yards down the road but I didn’t think anything of it as the road was empty and I was in complete control of my vehicle as far as I was concerned. I wasn’t leaning out of the window shouting and wolf-whistling either.’

Nevertheless, he attracted the attention of the officers stationed on the Ibstone Road at Stokenchurch, Buckinghamshire, who pulled him over and showed him the image they had taken from their dashboard camera.
Head-turner: Mr Maclean said he was always in full control of his car while catching a glance at the woman (not pictured)
‘It was a really high-quality picture of me leaning across the seat of my vehicle,’ he said. ‘They said that my behaviour constituted driving without due care and attention.
‘They told me that if I agreed, I could have a fixed penalty fine and would have to attend four hours of driving awareness courses. Otherwise I would be summonsed and then I’d get points on my licence too. Of course, I took the fixed penalty and the driving course.
‘Unless you’re wealthy and have the resources to challenge these things you just have to go with the flow.’

Mr Maclean, a gunsmith, added: ‘The girl was a cracker, but it wasn’t worth getting a £60 fine for.’ However, he claimed that it was ‘a matter of opinion’ whether his actions were dangerous, saying: ‘I would argue that I can do two things at once and am an experienced driver. They would argue that they’re keeping death off the road.’

He added that the object of his attention ‘must have walked past while I was being reprimanded – though I wasn’t looking at her by then. If she realised what happened I expect she had a good laugh.’

Mr Maclean also claimed one of the policemen had been distracted by the woman. ‘While they were doing the paperwork one of them, who seemed more human than the other, said something like, “I had a good look at her too. She was a bit of a cracker.”
‘?“There you go,” I said. “You had a bit of a look at her as well – why shouldn’t I?”
‘?“He wasn’t driving,” said the other one, who was having a bit of a break from his sense of humour.’

After the incident, Mr Maclean posted on his Facebook page: ‘Camera footage was good – me looking across and out back window getting a good eyeful.’ One of his friends responded: ‘That’ll teach you for being a dirty old perv then, eh?’

A Thames Valley police spokesman said: ‘We haven’t processed this penalty notice yet so we cannot comment on this particular incident.
‘However, we would remind motorists they have a duty not to be distracted by anything at all, not just gorgeous people, and so lose concentration while they are driving.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z23TjG0VRv
So if 'people' can be this much of a distraction, and whilst I agree it does sound like this chap took a prolonged look, then surely we should remove all items, which may also cause a major distraction, and even directly cause accidents. Therefore all speed enforcement cameras should be removed surely ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 
User

After one of my contemporaries rode his motorcycle into the back of a car in traffic in Bowness on Windermere, we formed a theory we named Geoffrey's Law after our hapless friend.

It states that the severity of the road conditions ahead, is directly proportional to the amount of clothing worn (or not in some cases) by a female pedestrian close by.
:wink:

In any hot summer day in Bowness, there are some sights - but nothing compared to those to be found when the only night club empties in the early hours!
:shock: