Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 21:32 
User

I was browing from my mobile and ended up on http://www.safespeedforlife.co.uk With the amazing tagline - 'because we can't slow down fast enough'. I don't know if that is due to a problem with their brakes or what. It doesn't say. If it is just a nifty strapline then it's nice to see the advertisment company they pay with honest motorists' money are working for that dollar. It's quite catchy :roll:

So I had a snoop about. It felt a bit like being behind enemy lines. I gave up looking at most SCPs sites after they stopped publishing details of mobile scameras. The propaganda on them makes me feel a little queasy.

Anyhoo, amongst the gems I came across these two bits of "info"...

"Anyone who breaks the speed limit is breaking the law, committing a criminal offence and putting their own life, and that of other road users, at risk.

Between January 2002 and September 2003, Northumbria Police attended 564 fatal and serious injury road traffic collisions – in 65 of these the major factor was excessive speed. "

So of 564 fatal collisions in only 65 excessive speed was the major factor? So what were the major contributary factors in the other 499 and do they not think these would be better targeted? Also, excessive speed kills. Excessive currant bun eating will also kill. The key word here is 'excessive'.

Also...

"At 35mph a driver is twice as likely to kill someone than they are at 30mph."

Is that true? At first glance it would not seem logical. Any one shed some light on that?

There are other gems on the website, no doubt, but I got bored and angry and decided I would remove the 'forlife' part of the url and hopefully reach my intended destination.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 21:43 
Life Member
Life Member

It's a credit to this campaign that they felt the need to plagiarise the title like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 04:32 
Site Admin

See http://www.safespeed.org.uk/killspeed.html - showing in part that it is driver (rider) reaction that has not been taken into any consideration whatsoever prior to a driving/riding incident. Since most of the time motorists react prior to an event, it is this ability to react, (not exclusive) that helps to prevent accidents.

Excessive speed is clubbed together with 'driving too fast for conditions' and excessive speed may still be within the posted legal limit. Travelling too fast for conditions is always a bad thing but may not always lead to death and disaster. Since conditions may change suddenly & without warning, it is important to be paying attention, concentrating, & have good observation so as to not miss vital clues.

The change in 'how to report and accident' by the Police, changes the way in which the cause of an accident is logged, and this changes the way in which the Stats, can then be interpreted & reported, and thus how those results can then be reasoned with.

If someone is travelling at any speed, but not paying attention to the road ahead, it could be highly dangerous, as we are totally unprepared, for something to 'happen'.
.... so if anything an 'in car technical set up' that recognises that you are not paying attention, would be much more helpful in preventing possible accidents, but a speed camera that merely notices a technical infringement of a numeric value tells it only of an illegal activity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 13:12 
Supporter
Supporter

DoktorMandrake wrote:
Is that true? At first glance it would not seem logical. Any one shed some light on that?

The correct quote is. "In a collision between a motor vehicle and a pedestrian the pedestrian is twice as likely to be killed if the vehicle is travelling at 35mph than if it is travelling at 30mph". That might be true. It is certainly not true that a vehicle travelling at 35mph is twice as likely to be involved in a fatal pedestrian collision

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 15:56 
User

DoktorMandrake wrote:

Driver at 30mph at night in heavy pi55ing rain in narrow residential street lined with parked cars at school chucking out time with head buried in passenger footwell to retrieve dropped cheese sandwich = perfectly safe paragon of virtue ... 5 shiny gold stars and free petrol for life.

Driver at 35mph on clear wide road in daylight in fine dry conditions with not a thing in sight for half a mile, perfectly alert & driving to conditions = dangerous child murdering lunatic, go to jail and throw away the key ... 10 matt black stars and a public flogging.
.................................. :bighand:

Moi? ..... sarcastic? ..... surely not?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 19:28 
Supporter
Supporter

Zippo wrote:
Driver at 30mph at night in heavy pi55ing rain in narrow residential street lined with parked cars at school chucking out time with head buried in passenger footwell to retrieve dropped cheese sandwich = perfectly safe paragon of virtue ... 5 shiny gold stars and free petrol for life.?

Do BRAKE or any of the other vociferous inhabitants of the "speed kills" lobby actually say that they condone dangerous driving so long as it occurs at a speed below the posted limit?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 22:26 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Zippo wrote:
Driver at 30mph at night in heavy pi55ing rain in narrow residential street lined with parked cars at school chucking out time with head buried in passenger footwell to retrieve dropped cheese sandwich = perfectly safe paragon of virtue ... 5 shiny gold stars and free petrol for life.?

Do BRAKE or any of the other vociferous inhabitants of the "speed kills" lobby actually say that they condone dangerous driving so long as it occurs at a speed below the posted limit?

BRAKE are rather proud of their big list of corporate sponsors, many of whom I imagine run a big fleet of vehicles.

I assume that if these firms are signed up to the BRAKE philosophy that they will instruct their employees to stick to 70 if the law changes?