Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 19:40 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Solicitor-Guilty-Of-Perverting-Course-of-Justice-_34557.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: naughty or dull boy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 00:31 
Site Admin

Hertfordshire Constabulary
Solicitor Guilty Of Perverting Course of Justice
Fri, 10 June 2011 Courtesy of: Hertfordshire Constabulary
Solicitor Guilty Of Perverting Course of Justice

A 48-year-old solicitor has been found guilty of two counts of perverting the course of justice after trying to evade fines from speed cameras.
Neale Simmons, from Wickets End in Shenley, was charged with perverting the course of justice on November 24 2009. This was following two separate incidents, one in August 2008 and another in April 2009, where he was caught breaking the speed limit by speed cameras in Hertfordshire.

When he received notices from the Safety Camera Partnership Unit about prosecution for these offences, Simmons downloaded a series of letters from the internet designed to help motorists avoid prosecution.
“This is a serious crime which could result in a custodial sentence”
Also, one man nominated was from Florida in the USA and had not been in the UK at the time of either offences. This information was verified by the US Embassy and Homeland Security.
Simmons pleaded not guilty to both offences in court on Tuesday May 31.

Following a three-day trial, Simmons was found unanimously guilty by the jury of 12 at St Albans Crown Court.

PC Bill Owens, investigating from the Criminal Justice Department, said: "This is a serious crime which could result in a custodial sentence. Anyone who uses these letters will be investigated. These letters are designed for one reason only - to avoid prosecution.
"I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.
He added: "This court result sends a very strong message that anyone who tries to evade speed camera prosecutions will be caught and dealt with robustly."

Simmons is due to be sentenced later this month.
Astounding that he thought 'the letters' were capable of negating a charge and to then lie (re other people), seems utterly disgraceful behaviour. No doubt his career is over ...
I guess like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
PC Bill Owens said... "I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.

A valid use of scarce police resources?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 18:05 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.

so why did you take such a keen interest in the proceedings at Heywood Heath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 22:48 
User

camera operator wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
like many 1000's of other motorists, he saw the penalty did not fit the crime and tried to find a way out. Many people just accept the points/ costs, even when they disbelieve the figures or the system. Many continue to fight through the Courts and some win and some loose. Sadly there is precious little reflection on the numbers 'caught' to any road safety improvement.

What has this got to do with Haywards Heath?

The Haywards Heath case was a disgrace to justice and the law

The prosecution evidence was in parts inaccurate and misleading, evidence after this trial was found that confirms this.

However it was the decision of the defendant not to continue any further in this case, due to his age and wanting to get on with the rest of his life

Had this case been Judically reviewed legal opinion is that serious reprocussion, for the prosecution, would have occurred

Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 04:45 
Site Admin

camera operator wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

What makes you say that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 04:47 
Site Admin

malcolmw wrote:
Quote:
PC Bill Owens said... "I will use every intelligence tool and contact I have to investigate this type of crime and bring those guilty to justice.

A valid use of scarce police resources?
Blind belief ... sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 13:06 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

timtjf wrote:

The prosecution evidence was in parts inaccurate and misleading, evidence after this trial was found that confirms this.

in what way

Quote:
Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay

is that when you had a tantrum "you must believe me, its maths"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 17:55 
User

camera operator wrote:
timtjf wrote:

in what way

Quote:
Those that were in court will know what I mean, anyone who was not in court cannot comment on what was said or what happened as all they have is secondhand information or hearsay

is that when you had a tantrum "you must believe me, its maths"

Were you in court?, if you were not then you do not know what was said. There are no transcripts and no recordng in magistrates courts, so unless Camera Operator has ESP the very best you have is hearsay

But I should know that hearsay, and probably ESP, is enough evidence to convict in speeding cases

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:55 
New User
New User

it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 21:35 
User

Depends if certain aspects of that law have been perverted for financial gain, are out of touch with reality or largely ignored by the majority. Policing is by consent of the people, after all. Or supposedly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:41 

Billyboyz wrote:
it is nothing to do with a police scarce resourse... we all have a job to do and it looks like he did a good job... if you drive you know the law of the road... so why not abide by it or is that out of your capability. :drive1:

Ah, but that's a separate argument. There's the school of thought that says it shouldn't be done because it's dangerous / harmful in some way, and then there's the school of thought that says it shouldn't be done "because it's against the law". Of course, the action concerned might fit into both categories, but not always. Over the years we've had many laws that have been at best, outdated and irrelevant, at worst, downright wrong. Often the authorities only really take notice and change or repeal laws that are not fit for purpose, when levels of mass disobedience get so high that the law becomes a standing joke and public respect for it is lost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 16:00 
User

Billyboyz wrote:

Do YOU drive? Do you know ALL the laws of the road?

Construction and use? I would be very surprised if ANYONE knows ALL the laws of the road!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 

Absolutely! I'd wager that a great many people who have put 5 people and some luggage in a hatchback will have been unwittingly overloaded! The manufacturers are legally obliged to allow 68kg per person and 7kg of luggage per person. I've weighed a fair few small MPVs in the course of my job and I know a number that are not too much better than the bare minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 23:01 
Site Admin

Billyboyz wrote:

:welcome: Billyboyz

It is sad when some of those who are meant to uphold the Law break it. This sadly adds to the already fairly wide rift that the police / public relationship has already descended to.
I would have thought that he should have known better really!
Perhaps he was desperate? Who knows!
Certainly he has lost it now, and rightly so.