Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 14:44 
New User
New User

Hi,

Our company is called Drive Alive and i'd like to let the SafeSpeedForums.com community know about our companies new app that we are currently developing to stop texting while driving using a new approach never tried before to get people to stop. I hope this is the right section. Certainly when the app is finished it will help to improve road safety. Find out how read below.

We all know its dangerous even those of us who continue to do it. Its because we all suffer from the "not me" syndrome. Even if we see graphic videos and statistics that would make us want to stop, even if they increase the laws to $500.00 per ticket, and have apps that block us from doing it people are still going to do it anyway. Everyone thinks oh it won't happen to me or I won't get caught. That's why the numbers continue to grow despite these efforts and a new solution is needed.

In comes Drive Alive. We plan to get cell phone users to stop texting while driving by actually rewarding the ones who don't text and drive as oppose to punishing, discouraging, and scaring the ones who do. We feel that encouragement, and incentives work better than punishments and discouragement.

Drive Alive allows a user to prove that their were driving safely in regards to their cell phone use. Drive Alive uses patent pending technology to monitor two conditions while the app is active on a user's phone. The first is that if you were actually driving. The second is if what you did on your phone while drive alive was active was distracting or not. Drivers who run the app before they drive and don't use their phone in any distracting ways will have their information from that trip automatically sent to our databases. These databases will serve as the proof drivers are paying attention to the road and not to their phones while driving.

We plan to trade the information stored in these databases for rewards such as Car insurance discounts, EZ pass credits, and much more for the proven safe drivers in the databases. These rewards will act as incentive to get more people to drive safely and reap the benefits of these rewards and help to save lives and keep our roadways safe.

For more information checkout www.DriveAliveApp.com and please spread the word about this new app. We are currently developing it for Android first and it should be ready in 6 months a demo in less. The more awareness and donations we receive the faster we can make this available on all platforms which is the end game goal. Thanks for reading.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 16:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think all cars should be fitted with a low-level RF scrambling signal which ‘broadbands’ the mobile transmission within a certain small radius of the vehicle. This means people using a hands-free won’t be able to talk ‘on the go’ either but I see that as a good thing because: -

A) It is still nonetheless a distraction, as if drivers don’t have enough of them already, and I think someone here said it’s worse than having a conversation with a real person in the car? If I remember correctly it was because at least you have four eyeballs looking at the road instead of just two eyeballs from a brain trying to focus on a conversation with someone who has no interest in where or how you are driving.

B) How desperately important and urgent, even in this modern fast-paced world, is any conversation that you absolutely must take it there and then? And if you want to make an ‘urgent’ call then pull over and turn the engine off or get off at the next service station.

With respect, I hope your idea doesn’t catch on and mine does in the absence of a more perfect win-win solution. People are more interested in picking up that call than winning a brownie point.

I had a conversation just the other day with my next door neighbour who is 76 years old. He past his test in The British Legion as a young teenage man. He told me his superior congratulated him and gave him words of advice he’s never forgotten in those 50 odd years since... “I want you always to remember, you have now got a licence which can kill”.

Wise words to a newbie indeed - and just as applicable today...

P.S. And we have quite enough 'information gathering' as it is thank you :x (I wonder if he has a Sony PlayStation :roll: )

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 18:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My iPhone already has a gadget to stop me using it while driving. The off switch.

Anyway, how does the phone know if you are driving or just a passenger in a car?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 18:24 

I'd like to know more about how it works out whether or not the phone activity was "dangerous" or "distracting". That sounds really dodgy to me!

Besides that, I have to say that, like Tone, it's not for me. I really have a problem with organisations who "sell" details of my movements to third parties!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 16:37 
User

Is there not a risk that drivers will use one phone to run the app and reap the rewards, while using a second phone to carry on offending?

Is it not beyond the realms of software design to be able to monitor movement at speed, and BLOCK the use of the phone by linking it to the seat belt sensor?
The passenger should be allowed to use the phone only IMHO.

Around this area, people know there is little chance of getting caught, and phone use on rural twisty roads IS dangerous!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 20:51 

Big Tone wrote:
I think all cars should be fitted with a low-level RF scrambling signal which ‘broadbands’ the mobile transmission within a certain small radius of the vehicle. This means people using a hands-free won’t be able to talk ‘on the go’ either but I see that as a good thing because: -

And if I'm a passenger?

And don't say I would be more use helping the driver because that's as good as saying nobody should drive without a passenger playing lookout.

There are much more distracting things than having a front seat passenger using a phone. Kids in the back for one, maybe you would ban those?

It's called a mobile phone, because it is mobile. If I want to get emails while my wife drives me somewhere then I don't really see the problem with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 21:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

And if I'm a passenger?

And don't say I would be more use helping the driver because that's as good as saying nobody should drive without a passenger playing lookout.

There are much more distracting things than having a front seat passenger using a phone. Kids in the back for one, maybe you would ban those?

It's called a mobile phone, because it is mobile. If I want to get emails while my wife drives me somewhere then I don't really see the problem with that.
At the risk of getting hate-mail from a fellow member, :wink: .

What is so terribly important these days that you simply must be contactable at all times without interruption or delay on a minute-by-minute time scale? :?

Let's be honest - most of it is crap! General banter or some twat offering you a deal you don’t want and didn’t ask for or 99.999% didn’t need to be dealt with right there and then - yes?

While the kids are going ape in the back, a problem and distraction I know very well, why not add to the situation with yet more distraction with a call or message in the car offering you double glazing, a better deal "what ya doing?" etc. etc. ...???

I didn't used to NEED to be so contactable years ago, so what's changed and why is being able to be contacted 24/7 so desperately important these days?

Ans: It isn't! It's available, the technology can provide it, and the media have sold it to us and we have all bought into it like the fools we are...

Not going to fall out with ya bud, just asking...

Luv Tone Image

I think driving or riding safely should supersede any and all other distractions - INCLUDING F :censored: 'N SPEED CAMERAS!

Road use is a serious and deadly issue! Which is why it pains me so much to see the only Government message/an$wer is "SPEED KILLS" :(

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 00:34 
User

I wonder if DriveAliveApp will respond to this post or if it is just SPAM?

The http://www.drivealiveapp.com domain has no individual "Registrant" information.
http://www.drivealiveapp.com/ contains no physical contact information (e.g. a street address)
http://www.drivealiveapp.com/ seems to be all about getting funding (money)
The contact e-mail address is at Gmail.com rather than the published web-site
It all seems US-based, so why post in a UK forum?

Would you feel happy having your "cell phone" activity and location uploaded to a database on a server that you know absolutely nothing about?

mb

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 08:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh I considered it to be spam from the onset but thought it an interesting topic.

One of my biggest hates is mobile overuse. We have bought into them to the extent we dare not be away from ours for a minute. Kids are wandering into roads as they text or yap about a Soap or some gossip. I still see drivers using them illegally in their cars. :x It’s information overload and usually uninteresting at that, or at least something I can find out about the next time we meet up.

I have a fancypants one myself but I rarely text or phone with it, it is more ‘to be contacted’ than to contact others and doubles up as a useful diary/reminder. If I want to know if someone is in so I can pop over I call them; it’s a 20 second call but they invariably want to tell me their life story which I have to cut short.

They are useful but people use them like their very life depends on having one. Mine is on PAYG and I top up about £10 once every two months. I get texts from O2 begging me to top up before such-and-such a date to get a Brucie Bonus or an extra 100 free texts. I don’t need or want it and I didn’t ask for it! I then get another to say ‘sorry you are too late’ after I didn't comply.

I like a good chin wag like the rest of us so I can talk about my crap but I prefer human contact. Basically, I’m a miserable old git who doesn’t like making providers wealthy and think they are a danger to our society. I have a land line where I can call for free after 6 o'clock in the week and at weekends from the comfort of my chair and a nice cuppa without putting anyone at risk, just like we did a century ago.

Well that’s what I think but maybe I got out of bed the wrong side this morning.. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 00:00 

Big Tone wrote:
I have a land line where I can call for free after 6 o'clock in the week and at weekends from the comfort of my chair and a nice cuppa without putting anyone at risk, just like we did a century ago.

And before mobile phones people were finding plenty of ways to get distracted and kill themselves and others.

I don't phone or text while I'm driving (I just don't have the skills) but when I'm a passenger I like to be in touch. We are social creatures (most of us), and I like the fact I can be having a conversation with someone the other side of the world while I'm travelling down the M1. My life doesn't depend on it but it does make me happier, and that has a knock on effect of making me act nicer toward other people. Then when I take over my stint of driving and my wife is texting her mates I'm less likely to get the red mist and start cutting people up.

I see any device for preventing mobile use on the move is just as ill though out an idea as speed cameras.

Yes there are lots of people talking while driving. Most of these are doing so perfectly safely, if they weren't then there would be carnage out there. A small number don't know when to put the phone down but don't penalise all of us for the acts of a few.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 06:15 
New User
New User

A) It is still nonetheless a distraction, as if drivers don’t have enough of them already, and I think someone here said it’s worse than having a conversation with a real person in the car? If I remember correctly it was because at least you have four eyeballs looking at the road instead of just two eyeballs from a brain trying to focus on a conversation with someone who has no interest in where or how you are driving.

B) How desperately important and urgent, even in this modern fast-paced world, is any conversation that you absolutely must take it there and then? And if you want to make an ‘urgent’ call then pull over and turn the engine off or get off at the next service station.

With respect, I hope your idea doesn’t catch on and mine does in the absence of a more perfect win-win solution. People are more interested in picking up that call than winning a brownie point.

I had a conversation just the other day with my next door neighbour who is 76 years old. He past his test in The British Legion as a young teenage man. He told me his superior congratulated him and gave him words of advice he’s never forgotten in those 50 odd years since... “I want you always to remember, you have now got a licence which can kill”.

Wise words to a newbie indeed - and just as applicable today...

P.S. And we have quite enough 'information gathering' as it is thank you (I wonder if he has a Sony PlayStation )

We are a voluntary "information gathering" solution for driver's who wish to prove they are not doing distracting actions on their phones while driving. If you don't want your information gathered you simply don't have to download/run the app. We are hoping to get enough rewards that people will care more about those than picking up their phones.

My iPhone already has a gadget to stop me using it while driving. The off switch.

Anyway, how does the phone know if you are driving or just a passenger in a car?

That's great, but the fact is people are dying everyday from texting while driving so some people need extra incentive to be as safe as you on the road. There is no solution yet for distinguishing if some one is a passenger or not, however it's no question that using your phone as a passenger is also distracting. The amount of people who will show enough restraint to not use their phones while a passenger at all to "abuse" this system will be far and few between and when they do "abuse" the system they will be keeping the roadways safer.

I'd like to know more about how it works out whether or not the phone activity was "dangerous" or "distracting". That sounds really dodgy to me!

We plan to have a basic version of the app released first that runs in the foreground and detects if it was running in the foreground the entire time. Some one wanting to send an email, text, browse the web, or phone call will have to turn off Drive Alive to switch to the native phone app that handles those other functions effectively ending your trip and you will no longer be gaining safe driving time credit. In future additions we plan to add background functionality which will track what apps are run/not run at the time Drive Alive is running in the background and will make the determination of distracting or not based off of that.

Besides that, I have to say that, like Tone, it's not for me. I really have a problem with organisations who "sell" details of my movements to third parties!
Is there not a risk that drivers will use one phone to run the app and reap the rewards, while using a second phone to carry on offending?

If you have a problem with it you are not forced to use it. We will only be sending the information to people interested in giving rewards out (such as your health or car insurance companies in case they would like to offer you discounts for proving you are not texting while driving. A person would still be able to carry a second phone to offend on, however unless the phone plan was under a separate name it would be easy for insurance companies to catch such offenders and disqualify you from discounts.

Is it not beyond the realms of software design to be able to monitor movement at speed, and BLOCK the use of the phone by linking it to the seat belt sensor?
The passenger should be allowed to use the phone only IMHO.

The problem would be to get people to install/not tamper/buy the car with this type of feature installed without incentives.

Around this area, people know there is little chance of getting caught, and phone use on rural twisty roads IS dangerous!
And if I'm a passenger?

We cannot ban kids obviously, but texting while driving (which is the main problem we are trying to solve) is way more dangerous than kids in the back. Texting while driving has been documented as being worse than drunk driving. I'm sure plenty of kids cause accidents, but not nearly on the scale of texting while driving. Schoolbus's would probably have the most crashes ever otherwise.

At the risk of getting hate-mail from a fellow member, .

The great part about Drive Alive is that you will still be able to receive those calls if you want as its not a blocking app like the rest of them. The rest of the apps actually block you from doing that if you choose. With our app you are free to use your phone while driving, its just you won't become eligible for any of the rewards associated with Drive Alive.

I wonder if DriveAliveApp will respond to this post or if it is just SPAM?

The http://www.drivealiveapp.com domain has no individual "Registrant" information.
http://www.drivealiveapp.com/ contains no physical contact information (e.g. a street address)
http://www.drivealiveapp.com/ seems to be all about getting funding (money)
The contact e-mail address is at Gmail.com rather than the published web-site
It all seems US-based, so why post in a UK forum?

We are working to improve the website however we are very busy which is why we haven't responded quickly. We are sorry about that. For now it is US based, however we did file our patent pending for international protection for a reason we do plan to release this in other countries once we have a working model that is popularized in the US first. One step at a time. We are posting in all forums to try and raise as much awareness about Drive Alive as possible to help speed up development as well as hopefully building up a larger customer base for when it is available.

I don't phone or text while I'm driving (I just don't have the skills) but when I'm a passenger I like to be in touch. We are social creatures (most of us), and I like the fact I can be having a conversation with someone the other side of the world while I'm travelling down the M1. My life doesn't depend on it but it does make me happier, and that has a knock on effect of making me act nicer toward other people. Then when I take over my stint of driving and my wife is texting her mates I'm less likely to get the red mist and start cutting people up.

I see any device for preventing mobile use on the move is just as ill though out an idea as speed cameras.

Yes there are lots of people talking while driving. Most of these are doing so perfectly safely, if they weren't then there would be carnage out there. A small number don't know when to put the phone down but don't penalise all of us for the acts of a few.

Well actually Drive Alive would be perfect for some one such as yourself as you are already some one who does not text while driving. Drive Alive plans to reward safe drivers like you. You will still be able to use your phone while being a passenger. Our app is a monitoring app not a blocking app. On top of that our app doesn't run unless you open the app. All other apps out there are marketed towards parents and employers to put on their kids/employees phones as a blocking mechanism that can't be removed that would inhibit you from using your phone while as a passenger. Drive Alive is much different I urge you to reread the information on the website.

Sorry I couldn't respond to these questions sooner. A lot of this was very valid concerns and also a good eye opener for us that we are not describing this as good as possible. We will update the website and the FAQ's accordingly asap to help avoid questions like this in the future. Please feel free to ask more and I will answer them asap on this forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 08:05 

DriveAliveApp wrote:
Mole wrote:

We plan to have a basic version of the app released first that runs in the foreground and detects if it was running in the foreground the entire time. Some one wanting to send an email, text, browse the web, or phone call will have to turn off Drive Alive to switch to the native phone app that handles those other functions effectively ending your trip and you will no longer be gaining safe driving time credit. In future additions we plan to add background functionality which will track what apps are run/not run at the time Drive Alive is running in the background and will make the determination of distracting or not based off of that.
Mole wrote:

DriveAliveApp wrote:
If you have a problem with it you are not forced to use it. We will only be sending the information to people interested in giving rewards out (such as your health or car insurance companies in case they would like to offer you discounts for proving you are not texting while driving. A person would still be able to carry a second phone to offend on, however unless the phone plan was under a separate name it would be easy for insurance companies to catch such offenders and disqualify you from discounts.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to everyone in such detail.

If I now understand correctly, the App prevents using the phone from doing anything other than receiving calls while its running? Can it also prevent you from making calls? Also, does it link to the hands-free kit ? Presumably, it could then let you make and receive calls but only via the hands-free kit (i.e. no looking through contacts lists or dialing numbers on the phone's screen, etc)?

Assuming all that to be the case, then I can see the use of it, but I think it might be slightly disingenuous to claim that it can differentiate between "safe" and "unsafe" use whilst driving, because I'm sure that the line between "safe" and "unsafe" moves somewhat depending on a huge variety of factors. Clearly, answering the call that says "Hi darling, what time will you be home?" whilst driving on an empty and familiar motorway in good conditions is going to be much less dangerous than answering the "How did that last meeting go? Remember your job depends on it!!" call, whilst approaching a busy and unfamiliar junction, late for the next meeting, in the pouring rain.

I'd also be careful about marketing it on the strength of possible health insurance premium reductions in the UK because although our National Health Service is somewhat "less-than-healthy" just now, most people still find it useful enough not to bother with private healtcare! Car insurance premiums, on the other hand, are really steep, so discounts there might be worth pursuing. Personally, I'd be happy if it just put a bit more credit on my phone at the end of each journey!

All that said, it's still not for me. For a start, I don't have an i-phone! Also, I still don't value it more than my privacy, given that I don't really use my phone much, other than for talking to people. I'm sure that the data collection will start off with the best of intentions, but it won't be long before commercial pressures end up ensuring tht my travel data gets passed to less scrupulous companies and I get spammed to death by hotels and tourist attractions along my route offering me their services! Worse still, there's a big fear of road pricing over here, and it's a "foot-in-the-door" for anyone wanting to track my movements for the purposes of charging me as I drive! (aka "the government")!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 13:24 
New User
New User

Mole wrote:
DriveAliveApp wrote:
Mole wrote:

Mole wrote:

DriveAliveApp wrote:

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to everyone in such detail.

If I now understand correctly, the App prevents using the phone from doing anything other than receiving calls while its running? Can it also prevent you from making calls? Also, does it link to the hands-free kit ? Presumably, it could then let you make and receive calls but only via the hands-free kit (i.e. no looking through contacts lists or dialing numbers on the phone's screen, etc)?

Assuming all that to be the case, then I can see the use of it, but I think it might be slightly disingenuous to claim that it can differentiate between "safe" and "unsafe" use whilst driving, because I'm sure that the line between "safe" and "unsafe" moves somewhat depending on a huge variety of factors. Clearly, answering the call that says "Hi darling, what time will you be home?" whilst driving on an empty and familiar motorway in good conditions is going to be much less dangerous than answering the "How did that last meeting go? Remember your job depends on it!!" call, whilst approaching a busy and unfamiliar junction, late for the next meeting, in the pouring rain.

I'd also be careful about marketing it on the strength of possible health insurance premium reductions in the UK because although our National Health Service is somewhat "less-than-healthy" just now, most people still find it useful enough not to bother with private healtcare! Car insurance premiums, on the other hand, are really steep, so discounts there might be worth pursuing. Personally, I'd be happy if it just put a bit more credit on my phone at the end of each journey!

All that said, it's still not for me. For a start, I don't have an i-phone! Also, I still don't value it more than my privacy, given that I don't really use my phone much, other than for talking to people. I'm sure that the data collection will start off with the best of intentions, but it won't be long before commercial pressures end up ensuring tht my travel data gets passed to less scrupulous companies and I get spammed to death by hotels and tourist attractions along my route offering me their services! Worse still, there's a big fear of road pricing over here, and it's a "foot-in-the-door" for anyone wanting to track my movements for the purposes of charging me as I drive! (aka "the government")!

Hey, its unfortunate that you decided that Drive Alive is not a right fit for you, however I just want to clarify one point. It does not prevent you from doing ANYTHING on your phone EVER. All it does is track what you are doing on your phone. Also yes the healthcare reductions are more geared towards the US where healthcare costs are ridiculous I could see it not appealing in the UK. I see your points and hope you change your mind in the future when the app is released and you can see exactly how it works. For our demo we plan to send the information it gathers to an email of your choosing. You can choose your own email address and checkout the type of data your car insurance company would be seeing in order to distribute you a discount.