The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 13:38 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12198812

Quote:
Dorset Police criticise 'rude' crash delay drivers

Police have criticised "rude" and "impatient" drivers after a main route was closed for two hours after a crash.

A motorbike and cyclist were overtaking a line of slow traffic in Blandford Road, Dorset, when they collided before the motorcycle hit a car.

The 32-year-old cyclist was taken to hospital with serious leg injuries. The 41-year-old motorbike rider suffered facial injuries and a broken nose.

Police asked drivers to be more patient when caught up in road closures.
'Their families'

Sgt Steve Quill, from Dorset Police, said: "A great many local motorists who were unfortunately caught up in the delays showed little or no patience with officers.

"Many did not accept that the road had to be closed at all, or did not follow instructions as to alternative routes.

"I am sure if these impatient or rude drivers had someone from their families involved in this collision they would want the incident investigated fully.

"We never close the road unless it is absolute necessary.

"We do please ask for those caught up in delays to remain patient and calm."

since when is slow moving traffic a road closure

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't see any mention or inference to legislate against motorbikes filtering. You had me worried there for a minute.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 14:12 
User

All I get is that drivers are impatient when held up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 14:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

R1Nut wrote:
All I get is that drivers are impatient when held up.

... unnecessarily (in the opinion of most, in this particular case anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 20:23 
User

Big Tone wrote:
I don't see any mention or inference to legislate against motorbikes filtering. You had me worried there for a minute.

being cynical thats all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 20:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

toonbarmy wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

being cynical thats all
Phew! Just give me some warning in future if you can bud ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 00:29 
Site Admin

It is possible to read the item as a 2nd crash, and hence your linking the 2nd accident as a 'don't filter' and don't have an accident. Or it can be read, as I initially read it, as those who were slowed and diverted for a while, were rude and impatient (that can easily lead to accidents as people stop paying attention).
I don't think the article or Police were trying to say don't filter, just that when accidents occur in essence 'accept your lot - you are going to be unfortunately delayed', sit back, but pay attention and be sensible and courteous.

When a road is closed I am sure they only do so to better understand the accident more fully and collate data, and have necessary room to manoeuvre.
Filtering is a dangerous action, and it is those that take the situation to be safer than it really is that can create accidents.
have many here been involved (in any way) in a filtering accident ? I was on the receiving end, but I still should have been more aware.