Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I’m sure I’m way behind everyone on this but is it a golden opportunity to protest about you know what? If so, how could it be done for maximum public support and awareness?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100701/tuk ... a1618.html

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 18:28 
Life Member
Life Member

I'm going to ask them to scrap differential speed limits for different types of vehicles.

ETA: and very slow websites - they should be banned. :x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 
Life Member
Life Member

Is anyone else putting their tenpenneth on here?

What laws would you like repealing?

I've proposed this one.

Generally, Safespeed-friendly measures seem to be very popular.

I also proposed this one for a laugh because I hate the way public bodies use the word 'inappropriate' the whole time. This HMG website is a good example.

[Moderator message: post moved into ongoing thread]

Oh yes, oops...

:oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 21:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Johnnytheboy wrote:
Is anyone else putting their tenpenneth on here?

What laws would you like repealing?

I've proposed this one.

Generally, Safespeed-friendly measures seem to be very popular.

I also proposed this one for a laugh because I hate the way public bodies use the word 'inappropriate' the whole time. This HMG website is a good example.

On the appropriate /inappropriate word use - as seen on Gov't forms "delete as inappropriate" -an old mate of mine used to joke that that's what he did - and he deleted the words "as inappropriate" --as a point . Made sense to me - as another who likes to mess up the system .
But looking at the Sun web pages ,simply because today JC had a good column on his pet things he's like to get removed .

And one that might get a lot of votes , UK LTD is in financial trouble - yet messrs Clegg and the Demopratts want to push on with a referendum on voting changes, costing ( on one quote ) £80M

As a motorist , if I'm having money problems , coming up to a MOT ,and needing new tyres - do I plump for a new Sat nav , or budget tyres ?

We've ditched ( IMHO) MPs who live today on tomorrows earnings , or so I thought .

Time ( IMHO) TO ADD FINANCIAL responsibility to the equation .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 22:19 
Life Member
Life Member

Have a read of this

ASENNA = Spinny, got to be.

Which I've happily pointed out (I'm slipdegarcon).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 19:47 
Life Member
Life Member

I'm now chasing him round the site. It's fun.

I strongly recommend registering on this site, there's some thought-provoking ideas listed under the motoring tab.

And good troll-baiting, which is always fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 00:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
I'm now chasing him round the site. It's fun.

I strongly recommend registering on this site, there's some thought-provoking ideas listed under the motoring tab.

And good troll-baiting, which is always fun.

Why move - on here we've got Cameras operaticus , Gob Snapper and Whoopie ---and throwing a treat under a bridge usually brings one of them up . :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 08:40 
Life Member
Life Member

Why move?

Joking apart, this is a golden opprtunity to speak directly to government. They're actually asking us directly what laws we want repealing. There's pages of ideas about motoring law from randoms, and one troll that needs fighting.

And on the Safespeed forum all I'm getting is apathy.

That's why I'm moving!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 09:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JTB,

I can't help but think that this Government initiative is akin to the Petitions site. It won't matter what you say as you will be ignored but you feel better for venting about your pet issues.

I think you are right, however, about ASENNA. The vitriolic and instant declamation of Paul gives it away.

I don't think apathy on here is the right word. Weary cynical resignation would be more like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 09:59 
Life Member
Life Member

(I should point out I've not been over there this AM as I am pretending to be at work, so apols if things have changed)

But there's an awful lot of people on there who AFAIK aren't members of Safespeed proposing things that we would agree with. They may not even know Safespeed exist. They may join SS if we were described to them in terms other than ASENNA's.

But instead of us using this as an opportunity (a) to reach out to new people and (b) influence government policy (they've actually asked us what we think so why not tell them?), everyone's just sitting on their hands and letting Spindrift/ASENNA divert the debate.

Apathy or cynical resignation? I don't think the phrase is important; the end result will be the same. A cynically resigned campaigning organisation ignoring an opportunity like this deserves the results it achieves.

And no, I'm not suggesting that specific people (e.g. Claire) spend all their time on there, but if we [url]all[/url]went over, clicked on the 'motoring' tab and rated and commented on a few threads, I think we would be doing our bit to campaign for what we have all come together here to talk about.

EDIT: to Steve: :bow: - someone's getting stuck in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:
EDIT: to Steve: :bow: - someone's getting stuck in.

What makes you think that is me :angel:

Seriously, I can't monitor every thread in every forum, but I can try to deal if someone lets me know (just as you did)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 
Life Member
Life Member

Steve: :bighand: :clap: :drink: :bow: :clap1: :stirthepot: :thumbsup:

I reiterate that I wasn't aiming my crazy rants at the upper echelons of SS, but at the ordinary members and forum users.

Due to its rating system and high level of traffic, what http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/ needs is weight of numbers.

The likes of ASENNA/Spiny are best beaten be weight of opinion rather than argument (IMHO).

I wonder who GBell is? He seems to be pretty clued up....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 23:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
I wish I could raise any sympathy, but I can't.

This won't have a jot of negative influence on road safety, and it's 35 employees of the pseudo state we could easily do without. I'd rather have 35 more police or nurses than safety camera partnership staff any day of the week.

They could start by getting rid of the PR dept that get stuff like this in the news.

Comes hard on the heels of the news item from Swindon

Swindon Council leader Rod Bluh said: “We took the decision because it was quite clear from the government’s own information and Department of Transport figures that speed is not the major cause of accidents.

“Thus far we have been vindicated by the results and I would support the comments made by the chief executive of the TaxPayers’ Alliance.”

In August it will be a year since the cameras were scrapped in Swindon and Coun Bluh said the last figures he had seen had shown there had been no increase in accidents since then.

OOHs, edit - missed this bit
"The TaxPayers’ Alliance chief executive Matthew Elliott said: “Motorists have long suspected that speed cameras are more about raising money than keeping the roads safe.

“These findings show that the state has been squeezing a fortune out of people using these cameras, but if anything the rate of reduction in casualty numbers has slowed.

The whole country should follow the example of Swindon, which has scrapped cameras altogether. People are sick of being fined under the guise of road safety." ( my bold/large).

Perhaps another follow up by the SS PR DEPARTMENT - ( AND I HOPE WE HAVE ONE ),OR IF NOT - MODS- TIME TO GET ARSES OF SEATS AND ONTO GEAR AND GET ONE .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 18:08 
Life Member
Life Member

Countering ASENNA's link -fest (he seems to have resorted to posting the same essay on kinetic energy everywhere) led me to this place:

http://www.roadsafetyfoundation.com/

They are the people who produced the recent report on our 10 most dangerous roads. Great quote on page 1.

Quote:
Consultation with road authorities on improvements show that simple, relatively inexpensive engineering measures are paying dividends, contributing to more than 70% fewer fatal and serious collision in the last three years on the top ten roads listed. Improvements to signing and markings, resurfacing, particularly the use of high-friction anti-skid treatments, and the layout and signing of junctions are common.

It's Leeming to a tee.

And this map is very interesting.

Have a look at your area and see which roads are most dangerous. Round me it's all the least improved roads, funnily enough.

And have a look at the motorway network. All green, i.e. the safest category. And they say speed kills.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:55 
User

If I may make a suggestion from afar.

Everyone should also contact their MP especially if they are on the Coalition side and make their points of view and seek their assistance (or even offer to help).

You could also join your preferred political party and make your points through meetings and resolutions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 16:47 
Life Member
Life Member

On a related note, I noticed the Number 10 petition site has been suspended.

SO this government are making it clear they want to ditch laws, not create new ones.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 21:57 
Site Admin

I am not sure they are right to condemn whole roads ... that seems incorrect. here : http://www.roadsafetyfoundation.com/downloads/Map.pdf
Sections I can understand but not the whole road. They might label a road a statistical, certain risk but is the whole road bad ?
If an accident is all that classes a road as bad what percentage of driver error if any has been taken into consideration ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 18:09 
Life Member
Life Member

I guess you can only break it down so far on a UK map.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 23:33 
Site Admin

I think that considering (some authorities but I assume all) accidents are grid referenced they have the precise locations of all accidents and even which direction or side of the road the incident occurred. (eg here)

They have pinpointed the roads so why not the locations on those roads. Originally cameras could only be located after a fatal accident (granted within variable 100's of meters) but they had to know where those accidents occurred. So it is known, so why be vague here. I dare say they were paid some vast sums of money to do this research so why not be properly thorough ? Did someone just not think to ask or also to provide ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 19:18 
Life Member
Life Member

ASPINNY wrote:
Otherwise known as Johnnytheboy on the Crapspeed and Pistonknobs website.On both sites his posts are completely ignored by the others , even the boy racers can spot a dead loss when they see one.In one post he claims he is " chasing me all around the Yourfreedom website. "
Sadly Johnnytheberk could not chase an arthritic tortoise , either athletically or intellectually. Needless to say he has been convicted for speeding at least once.

And his best contribution ?

"The likes of ASENNA are best beaten be weight of opinion rather than argument (IMHO)."

Not the weight of your opinion mush , yours is about as weighty as a single cell amoeba with all the intellectual clout of a dead sheep.
Its a nice day so off you go into the garden to play , mummy will call you in when tea is ready.

Never seen Spinny get this rattled! Must've touched a raw nerve.