Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Online status query
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can I just throw a completely off topic question in here please? (Silly que. since I am anyways... :P )

For the millionth time I look at a thread, this one as it happens, and see that as I speak both Peter and Botach are online but I am offline.

But I am online! I can see myself right there - online looking at the thread! :bounce1: Is it just me? :?

As my ex-honeybunch in California would say "It's getting on my last nerve!" It's like someone telling me I'm sitting down when I know I'm standing :x In fact, come to think of it, I have never seen myself as being online. It's like I'm like a ghost or something. :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Smilies
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
Can I just throw a completely off topic question in here please? (Silly que. since I am anyways... :P )

For the millionth time I look at a thread, this one as it happens, and see that as I speak both Peter and Botach are online but I am offline.

But I am online! I can see myself right there - online! :bounce1: Is it just me? :?

Both you and I currently show as online to me - have you tried refreshing the screen?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

But I am online! I can see myself right there - online! :bounce1: Is it just me? :?

Both you and I currently show as online to me - have you tried refreshing the screen?
Yes :cry: or F5 as it is also known. I don't exist Image I'm looking at myself right now posting here offline Peter Image

I could do a print screen and post :idea: How would that be possible?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not very clear but see the red bit? :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

:scratchchin:

Tone - easy answer - in your user settings, you have selected "Hide my online status" - so I as an admin can see you're online, but you as an ordinary mortal can't.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:

Tone - easy answer - in your user settings, you have selected "Hide my online status" - so I as an admin can see you're online, but you as an ordinary mortal can't.

Can we delete the last few posts please mods? :oops: & :stupidme:

Well, as I always say, it's no good being daft if you don't prove it once in a while. :D I didn't know i could play hide and seek by myself :lol:

Last edited by Big Tone on Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

PeterE wrote:

I've just checked :bighand:

Would you like me to turn that off for you Tony ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
PeterE wrote:

I've just checked :bighand:

Would you like me to turn that off for you Tony ;)

I've done it now ta Steve; just didn't know it was on, er I mean off. Can we make a new smilie which is a bigger version of silly me? :D

I don't remember ever faffing with that so maybe it's 'on' as a default but it's that long ago I can't remember.

(Thanks Peter)

Edit: I still look to myself as offline :? Maybe a reboot is needed? It's too late now, time for my Horlicks and :fastasleep: :)

Post subject: Re: Online status query
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 00:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My settings are correct now, I've double checked them, but it's still the same.

I'll have a triple look tomorrow but this is how I am now, from above post...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:43 
Site Admin

I have double checked things and cannot see any problem this end.

I wonder if there is some setting on your browser that is causing you this bother.

I can look at when passing and I am sure that this is totally fixable I can understand the frustration!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

He's already fixed it himself ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:20 
User

Not sure if it is relevant, but I keep finding myself logged out today, even though my settings are set to log me in automatically!

My google ipage resets about once every month - I have to reset all my preferences and ALL my logins on every forum I am in.

I'm blaming Microsoft and their bl**dy security updates - I still have not forgiven them for ruining my boot setup, and locking me out of my own PC until I could re-install the boot ini file! :x :x :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's working now ta Claire, since I logged out switched off and back on again. Bloomin' electrons :D

Knock knock
Who's there?
A proton
Are you sure?
Yes, I'm positive

(Groan) :D

Last edited by Big Tone on Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
Edit: I still look to myself as offline :? Maybe a reboot is needed? It's too late now, time for my Horlicks and :fastasleep: :)

You have to log out and in again for the change in settings to take effect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 13:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Not sure if it is relevant, but I keep finding myself logged out today, even though my settings are set to log me in automatically!

My google ipage resets about once every month - I have to reset all my preferences and ALL my logins on every forum I am in.

I'm blaming Microsoft and their bl**dy security updates - I still have not forgiven them for ruining my boot setup, and locking me out of my own PC until I could re-install the boot ini file! :x :x :lol:

Are you using something like ccleaner ,Ernest ? That gets tid of a lot of cookies & memorised things .Else ,try Firefox .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 15:16 
Site Admin

I like FireFox - it remembers a part made up post, even when my power dies !! That has saved me hours !

It is not too keen on too many tabs (like 50) but I try to even them across more windows ! The latest version seems so far (touch wood) to have resolved that issue - I think !
Resetting things would def have me looking elsewhere !
Glad the reboot worked Tone.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 16:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

All’s well now ta. :)

I have been using firefox for a few months now since I read that it is meant to be safer or more immune to attack than IE. It has crashed a few times on me and comes up with an funny sounding error message something like ‘whoops a daisy, have another go’ but the good thing, like you say Claire, is it doesn’t forget what you were doing.

I also have CCleaner but I’m not sure it does much which actually makes a difference. It feels like it does the equivalent of sweeping the dust under the carpet instead of vacuuming it up.

What I think I need is a register cleaner but I don’t want to buy one. I believe it comes as standard with Norton AV but I heard that slows the system down so I cleave towards Kasperski which doesn’t slow things down. I think Norton has average speed cameras in-built :D

I have also found the same problem as Ernest, mainly at work but not exclusively, where it doesn’t remember who I am when I have expressly told it to remember me. It does for a while, usually some weeks, but then one day it goes into a strop.

When my Kasperski runs out I'm going to ditch the lot and use the free version of AVG with Spybot.

Is this turning into a geek thread? :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 17:41 
Site Admin

NP with 'geek' threads ! :)

I use AVG and let it scan at night.
Seems fine - never use the CCleaner - and from the accounts never plan to either.

Never heard a 'Have another go' non-sense, so I assume that is another prog or a setting ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 19:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Never heard a 'Have another go' non-sense, so I assume that is another prog or a setting ?

Um, it's my OTT explanation to describe what it actually said. I just remember at the time it was a very un-Micro$oft alert.

When it happens again I'll make a note and get back here :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 20:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
For anyone banking with HSBC,they're offering a free yearly sub to McAfee .Don't think it includes any Anti spy protection though .RBS/Nat West CUSTOMERS get offered Rapport -some sort of online security .