Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What's it all pay for?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 13:49 
User

Was considering becoming a member, and I just wondered what was done with the subscription money. I know hosting has it's costs, but what else is it spent on, and how is it spent to help the cause?

Is there a page/thread I missed?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 
Site Admin

Pratnership wrote:
Was considering becoming a member, and I just wondered what was done with the subscription money. I know hosting has it's costs, but what else is it spent on, and how is it spent to help the cause?
Is there a page/thread I missed?

Well the Join page, I thought covered the points.
But, the money goes towards many expenses and costs in running the Campaign, from attending radio / TV interviews, meetings (for me more soon) to preparing reports and researching into government and all official figures. Much of this takes a lot of time and effort.
To give you an idea I can be up for an interview at 7 am or with TalkSport particularly up til 4am. I am here all the time trying to man the phones and do 'everything'. I try to divide my time up to cover all aspects, which I find best works in blocks.
Promoting the Campaign is something that I have been working on in 'the background', and I have now re-designed the logo but need to tweak it before I can complete the stickers ...

I cannot attend some events for Government as they are too expensive ... I am thinking of starting a new webpage for sponsoring a specific event to try and attend these. I am turning down invites which is terrible. I need to have the campervan back on the road so I can roam from one event to another, but funds are not going to stretch to this - yet. We have an invite for a Welsh Road Safety meeting that I can go and talk at so funding my time to prepare the material and hand out materials as well as all the presentation work is going to take some time over the next few months.

I hope this helps you give you a better idea of where the money goes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 14:42 
User

Thanks, it does. The join page is not very specific really, it just says it helps the campaign. We have done work for charities in the past and what the donations actually pay for can be very far removed from what people think it's going to in reality.

I like to know where my hard earned is going :wink:

Perhaps you could bit a bit about what you just described on the join page? That way people would feel happier knowing what their money is going towards. Many people just see SS as an online presence, so would wonder at what the costs are. By letting them know you have to attend such things might help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 18:06 
Life Member
Life Member

I think it's an understatement to say that Claire's Safespeed costs exceed the income generated.