Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 15:56 
User

:gatso2: I was watching an edition of Road Wars on Sky Three. I saw a trucker being pulled by a trafpol over some right of way issue. As if that wasn't enough, the cop gave the trucker grief about not wearing a seat belt and slapped a £50 FPN on him.

EH? WTF go on here? I thought that there were three exemptions to safety belt legislation. Taxi drivers....police officers....and TRUCKDRIVERS!

Discuss...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 16:10 
User

Truck drivers have to wear seat belts they change the law a few years ago, unless of course your reversing or your truck doesent have seat belts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 16:42 
User

sorry mate but the law changed. as of 2001 we are required to wear seatbelts in wagons although some drivers dont bother :hello: :lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 19:11 
User

scanny77 wrote:
sorry mate but the law changed. as of 2001 we are required to wear seatbelts in wagons although some drivers dont bother :hello: :lol:

/me nods.

If a truck hits a car.. It aint going to matter (health wise to the trucker)
If a truck hits a truck....

It aint going to matter

Coz your'll be jam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 21:05 
User

CJG wrote:
:gatso2: I was watching an edition of Road Wars on Sky Three. I saw a trucker being pulled by a trafpol over some right of way issue. As if that wasn't enough, the cop gave the trucker grief about not wearing a seat belt and slapped a £50 FPN on him.

EH? WTF go on here? I thought that there were three exemptions to safety belt legislation. Taxi drivers....police officers....and TRUCKDRIVERS!

Discuss...

If they are fitted you must wear them. Im pleased I dont drive trucks anymore as I disagree with seatbelts in trucks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 09:14 
User

fortunately most officers dont bother with us not wearing seat belts. i NEVER wear one in a truck and i have never had as much as a telling off for it. the odds of needing to move myself to get a better view of blindspots etc are far higher than the odds of a seatbelt saving my life in an accident. the 5 series scannies dont come with a wide angle mirror on the offside so i always lean forward to check over my shoulder. a seatbelt would restrict my ability to do that!

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 22:53 
User

scanny77 wrote:
fortunately most officers dont bother with us not wearing seat belts. i NEVER wear one in a truck and i have never had as much as a telling off for it. the odds of needing to move myself to get a better view of blindspots etc are far higher than the odds of a seatbelt saving my life in an accident. the 5 series scannies dont come with a wide angle mirror on the offside so i always lean forward to check over my shoulder. a seatbelt would restrict my ability to do that!

I tell you what 'scanny' if you had the misfortune to have the crash my mate did you would definitely NOT want a seat belt on, the only thing that saved him was being able to jump across and back on his bunk. Trucks have vertually no crumple zones, are flat fronted(majority) and there is only a small distance from the front, to the driver position. The bulk of truck crashes result in little or no injury to truckers, the more serious ones where truck rolls badly or hits something as hard as another truck,the driver becomes a tomato unless they can jump outa the way, and many have done.