Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 16:08 

Good point about streetworks.

Are Redspeed or indeed the SCP's geared up for the TMA?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 22:26 
Life Member
Life Member

safety zones and working areas should be as the pictures here... http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/network ... rks?page=9

and safetyzones as per the table here http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/network ... ks?page=23

40mph or less 0.5m
40+ 1.2m

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 

But under the TMA that comes into effect on 1st April they will have to serve otice to work on the highway.

For works up to 3 days they'll have to give 3 day's notice.

This has always been the casefor the utility companies but now local authorities will, to themselves in effect.

I have no idea if the police are excempt but I would suggest that a SCP van blocking a pavement or verge would have to serve 3 days notice.

FOI request anyone? and to who?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 15:04 

Have been looking at the photo, a few concerns:

Segregation, they don't appear to have any ! Doesn't seem to comply with NRSWA.

No hardhat - it won't do anything in a fall BUT highways contractors normally have thier staff wearing them in case of anything thrown up by passing vehicles, many are now also issueing eye protection for the same reason.

Ladder tied on with bungee cord NO, NO, NO !!! even if the cord is up to it, is the hook? also as the cord will allow movememnt, there are proprietry anchor straps for ladders, whilst I dislike poly rope (has a nasty habit of breaking down under UV exposure and weakens noticebly) a decent length of rope with a proper knot would be better than the bungee.

Who is footing the ladder? If the ground is soft the feet should not be pushed into the ground - it should have a base plate or ground anchor.

The worker is not secured in any way as far as I can see - what happened to three points of contact especially if he was taking the camera out?

Whilst the HSE haven't banned ladders, they have made it quite clear that it is for short duration work, from what has been said he was up for at least 15 minutes moving a large (weight unknown), bulky item about - he should have been using a aluminium scaffold tower or staging.

I know, being very picky but his hi-viz doesn't seem too clean. It's called a hi-viz jacket for a reason.

Wonder what the site specific risk assessment and method statement have to say. I would guess that they have niether probably a generic one at best.

Just a few thoughts of the cuff.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 15:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Hi SE - nice to see an expert mention some of the things we working blokes have to comply with - hard hats / working above ground level ( not at heights any more ) .

Then again did I see any mention of gloves?? .
Quite right about the ladder - could even be made safe from ground (old BT trick).
Then again

the thing that amazed me after all that - WHERE ARE THE CONES ??(to provide a safe area around the work site )(mind you in this day and age ,if it gets a shade hotter, a drinks fountain and iced water should be provided ---bit sarcy that one )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 13:59 

That operation couldn't take place in that form if it was being undertaken by a construction or utility company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 14:59 

CE, I've seen traffic light maintenance co's working from vehicle mounted cherry pickers effectively and safely in very similar circumstances.

So why can't these guys do it??? (Retorical question).

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 20:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
anton wrote:
When climbing telegraph poles we tied the bottom of the ladder with A ROPE .
we then tied the top with A ROPE.
And then belted up with a harness made by a parachute company.
a hat was compulsory as was street works guarding and licensing to work on the highway.

Bit before you're time , my work on poles Anton - however we had rope tied a few feet from bottom of ladder , round pole low down , passed back through rung , flicked rope over top of ladder, round pole ,flicked it back over top of ladder and tied it off on the lower rung- no way ladder could move . That was in days when Leather belts were going out , and hard hats were only used to keep you're head dry .( oh and routes of eight way arms ,all in copper were the norm )