Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 05:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 00:10 
User

Aren't these the most stupid 20 limits ever?

We drove through them both ways yesterday (first time for months :oops: )

I made a very deliberate point of not at any time exceeding 20mph (just to please :lol: 1.7million miles man in 2nd gear.

We were overtaken twice (one near miss) plus another following vehicle 6 inches off the bumper....

In 2nd gear deffo more fuel/emissions than at 25-30 in 3rd :roll:

I know IanH and In Gear have previously attacked these 20 zones - anyone else care to speak out?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 04:03 
User

Did you notice the limit signs were overgrown on you return journey?
The left hand one is covered, while the right hand one will be when there are leaves on the trees in summer!

I too try to stick to the limit withthe same results! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 18:20 
User

Looks like a nice big skid mark on the left, going into the cycle lane!

Slower is safer, slower is safer ...... As Dr Goebells said, "tell a lie often enough people will believe it's true" (or words to that effect) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 19:11 
User

Oh to be a cyclist in that lane on the far right! :x
Councillor David Vatcher said in the Gazette at the time of their implementation - "The cycle lane is to indicate to drivers that they should slow down when a cyclist is in the lane in front of them."
Bu**er! That means I can no longer just bump them off the road when they get in the way! Well it DOES make a mess of the paintwork on the bonnet and wing - it's about time bikes where made of something which causes less damage to cars when you hit them!

I've actually cycled through here before the lanes were put in - without any difficulty whatsoever, aside from drivers who wish to turn (acute) left at the lights trying to pass you and turn, but leaving it a bit late. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 09:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This may have been answered before but if cycle lanes are marked on the main carriageway as in the photo, are cyclists obliged to use them only in the normal direction of traffic flow? To clarify, are the cycle lanes one way only within the meaning of the normal "keep left" rule of the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I live in a :20: zone. I saw an accident in the zone a few weeks back.
I suppose it is okay as no one was killed or injured :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 

malcolmw wrote:
This may have been answered before but if cycle lanes are marked on the main carriageway as in the photo, are cyclists obliged to use them only in the normal direction of traffic flow? To clarify, are the cycle lanes one way only within the meaning of the normal "keep left" rule of the road.

IIRC, when it was pointed out to the imbeciles at the council that these lanes weren't wide enough for bikes, nor was the road now wide enough for cars; their response was that the purpose of all the new paint was simply to alert motorists to the possibility that there might be cyclists using that stretch of road, and that nobody was expected to actually stay within the confines of the marked lanes.

So I guess the answer to your question is "Yes"; though I do wish the council would finish the job off by erecting suitable signage, eg "Please ignore the green lane markings".

Mind you, in the light of all this I can sort of see the sense in the otherwise ludicrous 20mph limit they've implemented here, as it does give you additional time to try and get out of the way of oncoming tourists who are trying to stay out of the pseudo-cycle lane and are thus approaching on your side of the road. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 23:58 
User

Am still playing ping pong with letters to the local authority over this.

If the JJs are still a-lurking.. I will still thank Steve Callaghan for giving me the contacts for complaints. He did ask me to keep him informed as well. So.. reading between the lines.. even our "submarinated chums" are not fans of this situation either.

I will say that riding a bike on this stretch of road used to be fairly safe and pleasant. Now .. you would have suicidal tendencies for even attempting to. :roll:

Each time you drive it.. you are reminded how stupidly dangerous it has become as a result of a bit of peppermint paint. :furious:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.