Site Admin

Forum Rules. Please keep to the following simple guidelines:

(Rule 11 added 7th July 2005)

1. Don't swear

2. Don't insult people

3. Don't issue threats

4. Don't incite crime

5. Don't libel anyone

6. "Trolling" is strongly discouraged. (Trolling is defined as making a post with the intention of provoking conflict, or making a post founded on false opinions intended to provoke pointless discussion.) Posters who "troll" consistently will be placed on "Troll Alert" status. If they continue to troll consistently they will be banned.

7. Do remember that the public can read these forums, including children, the press and the police.

8. If you are concerned about a post by someone else breaching these rules contact the moderator - don't get drawn into a flame war.

9. Messages that contravene any of these rules may be deleted by a moderator.

10. Posters who ignore the rules may have priviledges or forum membership withdrawn.

11. NEW Ad hominem attacks are not allowed. This means that we expect users to attack the argument rather than the poster. Violating this rule will result in a single warning. Repeated violations will result in forum rights being withdrawn.

Advice for posters:

Special additional rules apply to the anonymous forum.

If a disagreement seemed to be getting heated, please remember that it's easy to misunderstand text based communications. Perhaps take ten minutes before you reply?

Don't be afraid of topic drift - topic drift is a natural part of the process of forum discussions. However, do try to be aware if the post you are making might be better as a new topic.

When posting a new topic, please try to post it in the best possible forum. This isn't always easy to decide, and we can move posts easily if it ends up in the wrong forum. We'd rather you posted in the wrong forum than you didn't post at all.

We will never delete posts or disbar posters because we disagree with their opinions. All opinions are welcome if they are honestly held.

Advertising is permitted - feel free to tell us about "on topic" or otherwise relevant websites, products or services. One advert will be sufficient - adverts in multiple forums are not allowed. If you want to advertise something that isn't obviously on topic, then please ask permission first.

Safe Speed is not responsible for information or opinions posted in these forums by visitors.

Last edited by SafeSpeed on Thu Jul 07, 2005 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 08:04 

I suppose the only clarificatiom I would like is what constitutes swearing.

I regularly use words such as crap, shit and such but try to use #@$ inside a word being used to highlighty an extreme.

But am I breaking the rules or are words like those above OK?

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 09:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

M3RBMW wrote:

I regularly use words such as crap, shit and such but try to use #@$ inside a word being used to highlighty an extreme.

On another forum (which is used to a greater extent by under-16s than this one) we had a long and heated discussion as to what precisely constituted unacceptable swearing and eventually ended up leaving it to the discretion of the moderators, which I believe is the best policy.

I don't see any objection to the odd #@$* inside a word.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 09:36 

Quote:
1. Don't swear

2. Don't insult people

Its a struggle sometimes but I will try...I promise :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 15:34 
Site Admin

M3RBMW wrote:

I agree with PeterE's suggestion that we have to make moderator decisions when necessary. I also recognise, Ross, that this leaves you in a particularly difficult position because cultural norms are different in the UK and Australia.

Please feel free to use appropriate language as you feel fit. If swearing seems to exceed our cultural norms (and I honestly don't suppose it will - it hasn't so far), then I'll send you an email and let you know. The last thing I'd want is to have you worrying about language when you should be "sharing information" with us.

If this was an "all adult" environment I wouldn't have written the rule. The main cultural need expressed in the rule is to shield children from excesses of swearing. (That said, practical reality seems to indicate that children swear more than adults, so I really don't know what purpose our cultural norms may serve!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 02:11 

SafeSpeed wrote:
If this was an "all adult" environment I wouldn't have written the rule. The main cultural need expressed in the rule is to shield children from excesses of swearing. (That said, practical reality seems to indicate that children swear more than adults, so I really don't know what purpose our cultural norms may serve!)

:D Brilliant, SafeSpeed, audibly laughed so loud you probably heard it over the net !!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 03:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:

This point was also made by the under-16s on the forum I originally mentioned. In reality, in most real-life environments, someone at school is likely to hear much more swearing than someone in a white-collar workplace.

In reality, what we are trying to do is to protect parents' sensitivities.

Having said that, anyone who resorts to f- and c- words almost certainly has a weak argument.

Opinions can be expressed forcefully without resorting to that kind of language.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed