It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammer Attack on camera
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 17:50 
Site Admin

http://www.thisiswirral.co.uk/display.v ... hammer.php

Driver attacked speed camera with hammer
By Court reporter

A MOTORIST who was twice flashed by the same speed camera within 90 seconds furiously climbed up the 15 foot pole and smashed it with a hammer and crow bar.

Daniel Ingram's attempt to destroy the evidence of his offending so he would not lose his job was however spotted by a passing policeman.

And although the camera was smashed beyond repair the film was salvaged and showed his Citroen Berlingo twice speeding along the 30 mph limit road.

Although the incident did not conclude well for 18-year-old Ingram, there was a happy ending for 71 other drivers flashed by the camera as the rest of the film was so damaged their details were lost.

Ingram, who is a driver for a beer wholesalers, pleaded guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice, criminal damage and two speeding offences.

Jim Clarke, prosecuting, said that Ingram, who only passed his driving test on May 19 last year, got three points on his licence for speeding three months later. As a new driver his licence falls to be revoked once six points are amassed.

Judge Graham Morrow, QC, told Ingram, of Wheatland Lane, Wallasey, Wirral: "You thought you would lose your job if you lost your licence."

He said that the offences were so serious only a custodial sentence was justified and imposed two months detention but he suspended it for 12 months.

Judge Morrow also imposed six penalty points, revoked his licence and ordered him to pay £740 compensation to Wirral Borough Council.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that the incident happened shortly before midnight on June 13 on New Chester Road, Birkenhead.

An off duty police officer saw Ingram up the static speed camera pole hitting the camera with a hammer. A uniformed officer arrived and Ingram ran off but was caught and the hammer and a crowbar were recovered.

The film was later examined and it showed his car had been flashed while travelling at 36 mph and then 90 seconds later it was flashed again doing 40 mph, said Mr Clarke.

When interviewed he admitted he had been angry and had smashed it to get away with the speeding offences.

Gareth Bellis, defending, said that Ingram suffers from ADHD and consequently lacks the ability to think things through.

"The offence was stupid and certainly not sophisticated or pre-planned."

Mr Bellis said the first time the camera flashed Ingram, who has no previous convictions, thought it was caused by the motorbike ahead and went back to see if the camera was working properly.

"He was again flashed and made the stupid decision to smash it up," said Mr Bellis. "His concern at the time was that he would lose his employment."

Safe Speed issued the following PR at 14:53 this afternoon:

PR411: Hammer Camera

news: for immediate release

Reported today is the case of a young driver, so concerned with his employment
that he stupidly attacked a speed camera with a hammer. He has today been
sentenced to 2 months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months.

Commenting on the case, Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed road safety
campaign (www.safespeed.org.uk) said: "Although this reaction is at the very
extreme end of the scale, I hope it sets off warning bells at the DfT. Speed
cameras are bringing the whole of road safety into disrepute with deadly
consequences."

"Speed cameras will go down in history as a deadly mistake."

"We symbolise the effect of speed cameras on road safety as a heavy hammer
attacking a precision clock. It is ironic that this is a case of a real hammer
being used to strike a symbolic hammer."

Safe Speed certainly does not condone vandalism against cameras.

<ends>

[It's not one of our better PRs but I had really limited time to get it out. The angle another criminal created by the speed camera programme came to me later.]

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Haven't been down that road for a long time but most of it is Dual Carriageway and used to be 40mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:27 
User

Quote:
Daniel Ingram's attempt to destroy the evidence of his offending so he would not lose his job was however spotted by a passing policeman.

Comment Withdrawn by PaulB2005 1/12/06 07:56

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
The film was later examined and it showed his car had been flashed while travelling at 36 mph and then 90 seconds later it was flashed again doing 40 mph, said Mr Clarke.
Mr Bellis said the first time the camera flashed Ingram, who has no previous convictions, thought it was caused by the motorbike ahead and went back to see if the camera was working properly.
Gareth Bellis, defending, said that Ingram suffers from ADHD and consequently lacks the ability to think things through.

Should he really be holding a driving licence?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:

:loco: :violin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 21:16 
User

g_attrill wrote:
Quote:

Should he really be holding a driving licence?

It should not affect his ability to drive if it is being treated. ADHD is a complex range of disorders resulting from a different physiology within the brain to that usually considered "normal".
Wikipedia sums it up reasonably well where it reflects on this case...
Quote:
Children who grow up with ADHD often continue to have symptoms as they grow into adulthood. Adults face some of their greatest challenges in the areas of self-control and self-motivation, as well as executive functioning (also known as working memory). If the patient is not treated appropriately, co-morbid conditions, such as depression, anxiety and self-medicating substance abuse may present as well. If a patient presents with such conditions as well, the co-morbid condition may be treated first, or simultaneously.

So you see just as able to drive as anyone else!

I am wondering how he managed to turn around and get back up to warp speed in 90 seconds! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 23:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wonder what sentence he would have got if he had instead used the hammer on a passerby? Conditional discharge? Community Service? ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 00:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Amazing how police can be found when it's damage to SCP property, but are "too busy " to attend to an attack on a vehicle ?--OR even stop to ticket a van parked on a junction etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 02:31 
User

I have to say we have a fairly good bunch of police around here - our community policeman is a human dynamo, and seems to pop up where ever he is needed and yet you rarely see him in a patrol car!

His approach appears to be firm - but fair. He operated a speed camera outside of my sons's school for a week, and stopped and warned those blipping over the limit.
When he returned the following week, those who had not heeded their warning got a ticket.
Several parents got warnings for failing to have seat belts on in the rear, and I didn't find any of them complaining.

I would not expect a policeman to ignore such a blatant act of vandalism as hammering away at a camera, so I dont feel we should be critical of that... but the feeling seems to be that so many of our police cannot be bothered any more - I'd be interested to hear if that was because they are just fed up with the political interference in their job, not permitted or cannot be ar*ed? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 13:10 
Life Member
Life Member

Ernest... Have you read "David Copperfield"s book "Wasting Police Time"? It's an eye-opener!! :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 22:59 
User

Vandals here in Crewe who ripped-off car mirrors for a lark were given £80 FPNs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 08:55 
User

Quote:
I would not expect a policeman to ignore such a blatant act of vandalism as hammering away at a camera, so I dont feel we should be critical of that... but the feeling seems to be that so many of our police cannot be bothered any more - I'd be interested to hear if that was because they are just fed up with the political interference in their job, not permitted or cannot be ar*ed?

You're right. I withdraw my remark as i whole heartedly support the Police - i know a couple of beat coppers. Shouldn't blame them for their masters failings...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:26 
New User
New User

Haha im famous!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:48 
User

daniel ingram wrote:
Haha im famous!!!!!! :D

And how is your employment now - have you managed to get over this hiccup and get on with life? :)

I am now 54, and a totally different person to the one I was 35 years ago! :whome:

I was on the front page of our local paper when I was stopped for riding my motorcycle with roller skates on - the headline read "TEN WHEELS ON MY WAGON"..!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 19:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
I was on the front page of our local paper when I was stopped for riding my motorcycle with roller skates on - the headline read "TEN WHEELS ON MY WAGON"..!!

Did they believe you when you said they were stabilisers ,Ernest :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 02:34 
Site Admin

:welcome: daniel ingram

(Assuming that you are the same person) what do you think about your actions now upon reflection ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 09:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I am now 54, and a totally different person to the one I was 35 years ago! :whome:
Snap Ernest! :) 1958 was a good year for babies :D

Ernest Marsh wrote:
:rotfl:

I remember having the same fire in my belly when I was a teen; but it’s a fact that you mellow with age. I often refer to what I call the madness of youth. The person I was 35 years ago is the person I would chastise, and want off the road, for being a stupid bloody maniac today. Sadly, the truth is I am more likely to get done today despite being a totally different, and very safety conscious, driver. :x

What does that say about how society has changed? (Rhetorical£££). :doh:

Oh. :welcome: btw Daniel.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Of course, Mr Ingram has spoilt his chances of becoming a Police Commissioner as offences are never spent when considering candidates for these posts. The point above about people changing over the years has been lost on the legislators who drafted the rules probably on the grounds that you don't want anyone convicted of anything (however trivial and long ago) in charge of the coppers.

No rehabilitation is possible. You are marked for life.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 22:17 
New User
New User

7 years later and I can say I have certainly grew up with 2 kids to set an example for and an amazing fiancé to keep me out of trouble looking back on what I did yes it was wrong to commit that offence and yes I'd say I got off pretty lightly which the police man who caught me enjoys to remind me each time I bump into him and we are on very good speaking terms considering the circumstances on how we met :-) as for employment I'm working always have and proberly always will not the greatest job in the world but it puts food on the table for my family and it is completely legal :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Image Image

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.