Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What is your main or preffered method of de-iceing?
Poll ended at Wed Mar 08, 2006 15:00
Luke warm water poured over the glass 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Luke warm water poured over the glass 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Traditional de-icer in a spray can 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Traditional de-icer in a spray can 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
De-icer in with a trigger action 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
De-icer in with a trigger action 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Pre-icer the night before 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pre-icer the night before 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Blanket/newspaper the night before 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Blanket/newspaper the night before 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ice scraper 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Ice scraper 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Leave car running till heaters get warm 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Leave car running till heaters get warm 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Heated front screen 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Heated front screen 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 84
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 21:48 

Capri2.8i wrote:
burgers......... :lol:

Mmmmm..........

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 23:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Homer wrote:
Capri2.8i wrote:
burgers......... :lol:

Mmmmm..........

Cheese/Big Mac/ Double cheese, onion topped with double fries and dips ??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 23:30 

If you want a real Burger there is a pub on the Yorks/Lancs border which does a monster. Two half pound burgers in a bun, with cheese and some of that green stuff (salad?). Mmmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 17:56 
User

Back on topic...

Fresh hot urine. Although standing on the bonnet to aim at windscreen is perilous if its also covered in frost.

Tip: Do not confuse your car with another in view of the owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 03:44 

Normally warmish water on the screen and windows, also keep in the car a soft bristle broom to sweep snow off (when we get it) and keep the bottle wash topped up with hafords screen wash a slug of soap and a slug of meths, if out away from the hot water, the meths keeps the jets from freezing and helps soften any ice.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 16:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
At last , someone has thought of it - heat the windscreen wash first - only available on american cars, but wait till the Japanese fit it and the rest will follow, as usual.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/articl ... 83,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 07:08 
User

hobbes wrote:
On the really cold days, ice forms on the inside too - real PITA, been using a PROPER window squeegee to keep it clear.

Just out of interest, what do you call really cold?
I use a brush for the snow, a scraper for the ice and command start for getting the car bearable before getting going. De icer is no use. it freezes before I can use it.
I firmly expect to replace the battery, wipers and windscreen by the end of September in readiness for cooler weather. I also expect there to be at least a foot of snow to land overnight by mid October which will be around until April or May. This will probably be topped off by 3 or 4 more feet by Christmas.
The daytime high wil possibly get to -15 by early November, dropping to -25 as a daytime high by mid January. There will probably be a cold snap in February and another in March where it will get to -35 as a daytime high for 3 or 4 days at a time.
You know it is cold when the radio says that it will be mild at -15.

Of course, today the temperature hit 36 degrees centigrade, and now, at 1 am, it is still 20 above and raining.

In winter, warm water would damage your car, and your hands. You wouldn't use it- EVER! Neither can you use the wipers to help clear the screen as it will rip the blades clean off.

You also know it's cold when the snow melts from the heater vents, only to freeze to the wiper blades and create a solid ice wiper.

Ice on the inside of the screen? I get it on the inside of the bodywork. The bolts that go throughto the outside actually get icicles on them.

I tell you, -35 is no fun. You can't wear a scarf as it freezes to your skin when you exhale. Glasses freeze on both sides. Best of all, your exhaust smoke comes out of the pipe as snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 09:31 

bobthedog wrote:
Of course, today the temperature hit 36 degrees centigrade,

36 degrees, pah! Bloomin freezin mate :wink: .
In the Middle East it gets up to 50, and your clothes are drenched with sweat the second you put them on. If you're working on an aircraft you have to keep your tools under cover lest you wish to suffer third degree burns when you pick one up. The heat doesn't just come from above, it bounces back off the concrete, you could bake a cake in the open air in 20 minutes. Footwear melts itself to the ground and a cool drink becomes a warm as coffee if its out of the fridge for more than a few seconds.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 

bobthedog wrote:
hobbes wrote:
On the really cold days, ice forms on the inside too - real PITA, been using a PROPER window squeegee to keep it clear.

Just out of interest, what do you call really cold?

Really cold is when we start measuring the temp in deg C :lol:

We rarely see anything below -5 and hardly ever have temps constantly below freezing for more than a few days running. Well, south of the border anyway, Paul may have a different experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 
Site Admin

Homer wrote:
We rarely see anything below -5 and hardly ever have temps constantly below freezing for more than a few days running. Well, south of the border anyway, Paul may have a different experience.

Not that different. I guess most winters we see -8C a couple of times. Once since we moved up here in 1990 we saw -22C. Some parts of Scotland have significantly different weather.

You'll often hear the weathergirl talking about low temperatures 'in the glens'. I think the low glen temperatures are mainly due to sun shading by the enclosing hills. But we're not in a glen.

And then there's altitude. There are roads and habitation up to 1,500 feet at least and that's enough to make a very big difference to the weather. Two parts of the A9 Perth to Inverness rise to that sort of altitude and they do get snow blocked every year. But we're not far off sea level.

And then there's the gulf stream which warms the Moray Firth. This gives a pocket of milder weather that includes our location. If you follow a track due south from here you first cross the Cromarty Firth, then you're on land called "The Black Isle", and south of the Black Isle, continuing on the track you're into the Moray Firth. (About 20 miles south.) The interesting part of this is the reason for the name of the Black Isle - It's said that when everything is white with snow, the Black Isle tends to remain, well, black.

Subjectively, the weather here is no worse than rural sothern England. I'd guess that the urban heat island effect is larger than the effect of travelling 500 miles north, or at least it is when the gulf stream mitigates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 16:33 

Actually I had forgotten about the palm tress on the North coast of Scotland.

No, it's true!