Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

How good a driver do you consider yourself?
Very good 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Very good 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Above average 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Above average 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Average 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Average 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Below average 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Below average 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Poor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 00:37 
Life Member
Life Member

I noticed a posting on a usenet forum the other day - trawled up during a discussion of why almost everyone considers themselves to be "better than average"... It's a psychological research paper titled "Unskilled and unaware of it..." and can be found at http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

The essence of the paper is that if you lack the ability to perform a certain task, you ipso facto lack the ability accurately to criticise your own (or anyone else's) performance in that task. Interestingly, those least competent were the ones most likely seriously to overestimate their abilities; while the most competent were more likely to underestimate their abilities... So those of you who reckon you're brilliant drivers are probably crap, and those who reckon they're average or worse are probably brilliant! :-)

The closing paragraph of the paper is a lovely piece of understated academic piss-taking too. :-)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 07:07 
Site Admin

In Gear wrote:
Not voting.

Same here. I couldn't vote because there wasn't a 'very good learner' category... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 17:32 
User

Have not voted either as all driving ist about learning each drive out. :wink:

Und when you had crunch - even a non-fault - you take care of self und think of family reaction. :(

In Gear wrote:
Not voting. Have posted in the past that I consider I learn each time I drive or ride anywhere anyway. That's what driving is all about.

Liebchen - so right again. 8-)

Like everything else - you seek purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - fecction und every time we drive or do any job - even if cooking in kitchen :wink: - I think how to improve next time und if my cake sink in middle - think what did wrong. (It does not happen often - but once had a souffle collapse on me most spectacularly when :oops: had the in-laws for dinner :oops: It was Mad Doc's fault of course - he distracted me! :wink: :wink: :wink:

But you do - each drive ist unique to itself und each situation different und you do think about how you reacted und was it "to best of ability or ist something to think about!"

Geared Up Liebchen wrote:
Have been a passenger/co driver in track and other fun events with this family - they are competent and still - like me - learning. :wink:

You are far too kind! :love:

Geared Up Liebchen wrote:
In some ways - this family is a fortunate one. We are all enthusiasts and we all drive with each other and we all know that a very critical eye is watching the driver :yikes: on these occasions! Mad Doc does go a bit pale when he drives me :lol: :lol: :lol: and his wife (Wildy :neko: just laughs and tells me if I dislike her driving - there's always a bus I can use! " Liebchen :lol: ] :roll: :roll:

But of course, mein Liebster :love:! But have noticed you close your eyes und adopt praying position lately :P when on track! :rotfl: We have to test the Moggie's toppest speed after all that work!

Ist purrfectly safe - I worked on those brakes....they are sharper than the Jags now! :yikes: Und you have to admit - it took that corner pretty darned well - you did not have to recite the Lord's Prayer at the time! :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 20:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not voted either. Like I've said before, I suspect I'm probably above average but without knowing exactly what an average driver is I can't put my hand on my heart and say I'm better than that. And what criteria are we talking about anyway? Car control? COAST skills? Having a safety mentality? And is an average driver the same thing as an average motorist? I think so, and I'm reasonably sure that I'm a better motorist than I am a driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 01:39 
User

Gatsobait wrote:
Not voted either. Like I've said before, I suspect I'm probably above average but without knowing exactly what an average driver is I can't put my hand on my heart and say I'm better than that. And what criteria are we talking about anyway? Car control? COAST skills? Having a safety mentality? And is an average driver the same thing as an average motorist? I think so, and I'm reasonably sure that I'm a better motorist than I am a driver.

Took the words outa my typing fingers there! :wink:

my wildcat of a wife wrote:
But of course, mein Liebster ! But have noticed you close your eyes und adopt praying position lately when on track! We have to test the Moggie's toppest speed after all that work!

Ist purrfectly safe - I worked on those brakes....they are sharper than the Jags now! Und you have to admit - it took that corner pretty darned well - you did not have to recite the Lord's Prayer at the time!

I thought he looked a bit pale after that lap with her :lol: But I was watching - car held the road remarkably well considering the speed she reached. - but given that slight rattle just after Wildy :neko: took the corner - not surprised he was praying! :wink:

She'd fiddled with it a lot - tis now the talk of the Moggie club! 8-)

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 20:09 
Life Member
Life Member

This is the first forum I've come across where people feel obliged to post to say they aren't voting on something.

Just don't vote!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 20:56 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
This is the first forum I've come across where people feel obliged to post to say they aren't voting on something.

Just don't vote!

Aber doch Liebchen :love:

Had you given me option of

Not quite Purrfekt - but still learning :hehe:

or "Almost Purrfekt but still striving for Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-fektion! ;)"

Are approaching Purrfektion but still prepared to learn ;) as each situation ist almost new to us ;)

und true IAM drivers/COAST drivers always think und evaluate each drive und think how we may have improved/done different even if safe-ish.

Then - we might have had some options to go for! ;)

Ist constructive criticism mein Lieber :love: - we cannot criticise the scammers for polls which do not get at best answers to aid us if we fall into same trap as they do. ;)

As pointed out to you - this ist family which had to get over a severe trauma - we love our speedy thrills mattering - und driving - but we also apply COAST caution too. ;) - even when testing turbo Moggies with fur standing on end at speed well in excess of a UK speed limit :rotfl:

[small=9] He did not have to pray really - he was purr-fektly safe! :roll: Car "now defy laws of Moggie Physics " ;) [/small]

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 22:54 
Life Member
Life Member

In as much as I can understand you, my response would be start a new poll, rather than pointing out (at great length) why you find mine 'inappropriate'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 23:00 
Site Admin

Johnnytheboy wrote:
In as much as I can understand you, my response would be start a new poll, rather than pointing out (at great length) why you find mine 'inappropriate'.

I did that and started another poll (with its own limitations).

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4978

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 23:33 
Life Member
Life Member

A very well-phrased one at that, which I added my ten penneth to - much better than just saying "I'm not playing"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 00:26 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:

I did that and started another poll (with its own limitations).

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4978

Exactly - more appropriate as a poll as far as polls go! :wink: Beat me to it...in fact - think we had one similar before as well- covering the learning bit! :wink:

We don't really have much to vote on as this one stands - that's all as no one will admit to poor standards of driving anyway - all our customers are "!ace" drivers - you know! :wink: Amazingly a good many even say they never really thought about what they were doing wrong until we pointed it out to them! :shock: :o We like to think they take note of what is said to them on a pull! :roll: whatever level of - ahem - discretion - ahem - we decide on. :wink:

Also - given my background - have received a lot of training at taxpayers' expense and like to feel I justified that investment by doing my best at all times whatever job I'm "sleuthing". Thus - could not really vote on this one. :wink:

As for the Mad Cats - they've invested in a lot of advanced courses as enthusiastic car lovers but they keep their high speed kicks to the tracks and they are very, very conversant with the Highway Code - can name the rule and paragraph number on instant recall when asked - which is better than I can do! :wink: Great folks to have on your team at a pub quiz night! :twisted:

Oooh -er! Johnnylad! Don't be so touchy! Our pet of a Wildcat was purring politely and playfully at you! :)

By the way - I always say my prayers when on track with that young ladylike :P (tongue in cheek) and very feline cousin of mine ! :lol: That particular Moggie of theirs is pure :evil: :yikes: - :shock: ing! :lol:

Not recommended if you are of a sensitive and nervous nature! :wink: (Especially if she decides to wear the trousers!) :shock:[

By the way - in the spirit of the Christmas game they're playing -and sweet talked me into :roll: - just netted a tenner from my wife for length, content and use of smilies - for fuinding of all good causes :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 00:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
IG --- i always suspect anyone who is not driving a police traffic car when they say ," good" , as suspect.
Me - like to think i'm a good driver - but i also like to err on the other side and say poor -that way i don't go daft .Oh i can throw a car/van about - been on the roads a few hundred thousand miles/ or about a milion or two with no accidents in all sorts of weathers - haven't seen many of your mates, except to ask my opinion of other drivers --oh yes -our current police drivers are of poor quality
Havent been on any advanced courses - except the one for a firms licence after i passed my test ----my qualifications are from the schol of advanced ( on the the road , with a high no claim bonus, high milage, multi vehicle driving ) driving qualifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 02:08 
User

botach wrote:
IG --- i always suspect anyone who is not driving a police traffic car when they say ," good" , as suspect.
Me - like to think i'm a good driver - but i also like to err on the other side and say poor -that way i don't go daft .Oh i can throw a car/van about - been on the roads a few hundred thousand miles/ or about a milion or two with no accidents in all sorts of weathers -

All of the Swiss and our combined families have "virgin" clean licences and full protected no claims on policies - and drive all over Europe. :wink: They all reckon they are still learning as well! :wink: and they all use COAST as safetty led basis too :wink:

Incidents which involved two of the Swiss - freak incidenets and nothing could have prevented them - apart from decent maintenance by the haulage company in Ferdl's case and the driver just staying in bed in Wildy's incident. :(

But - it's these and the joy riders etc who can and do take out safe, competent innocents and we cannot be everywhere either. If we get a call - we are onto it - pronto. Better if we are on the road to start with - think that's why we just about manage to keep a lid on things here - and we still have improvements to make! Like everything else - cold hard looks are taken at stats and all performance tables and we look to see how to improve - and :yesyes: we do rely on the public to give us help, intelligence and tips. :wink: How else to we get to investigate - none of us is an all-seeing, all singing and all-dancing clairvoyant! :wink:

Quote:
haven't seen many of your mates, except to ask my opinion of other drivers --oh yes -our current police drivers are of poor quality

When I were a lad in training...they used to shout at us a lot! :shock: Courses were longer and very involved - we had to perfect each maoeuvre under the glare of a rather perfectionist trainer.. :roll: We've always been warned to beware red mist as well. :wink: Today - they are shorter and I think this and a general dumbing down of the eductaion system is leading to problems in recruiting quality staff in every profession - not just ours. :roll:

These days - "positive encouragement" :wink: which may suit some - but does not drive up or even draw out full skill potential. :roll:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 04:03 

Would rather under estimate my ability than over. Have had licence for five years last month have covered 70-80,000 miles each year of licence and had four prangs in first year, did IAM advanced driving test and no accidents since better mileage from tyres and better mpg.

Am I a good driver ?? Don't know am of the opinion that the advanced driving test should be the minimum standard for drivers I feel that the current system is woefully inadequate.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk