Flash your (front) fog lamps 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Flash your (front) fog lamps 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Put on full beam & leave it on until message is got (or not) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Put on full beam & leave it on until message is got (or not) 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Pull ahead / overtake do nothing and carry on you way 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Pull ahead / overtake do nothing and carry on you way 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Pull ahead / overtake and turn on YOUR rear fog briefly 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Pull ahead / overtake and turn on YOUR rear fog briefly 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Pull ahead / overtake and leave your rear fog on until out of sight 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Pull ahead / overtake and leave your rear fog on until out of sight 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Road rage & harass them into a layby & smash their lights 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Road rage & harass them into a layby & smash their lights 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 102
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 21:31 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:
Love them and loathe them, lots of numpty's around here drive with them on and sidelights only, but there are lots of unlit country lanes and they do help especially pickingh up the verge where often the road merges with little definition, but as soon as I see car lights let alone a car they go off.

Same here mate, I prefer meeting an over lit driver to an unlit driver.

Maybe it's an aviation thing?? Passive defence (i.e. making yourself seen) is possibly one of the most effective ways of avoiding head-ons in poor (not bad) visibility and drivers pulling out at short range etc.

People who drive around on drizzly days unlit or with side lights only do not appreciate just what a small visual target they present to other road users. Dipped headlights advertise your presence from a good mile or so away.

I flew solo before I could drive a car. When flying I had "Lookout, Attitude, Instruments" drummed into me. I carry this over to my driving. Looking around, checking my position on the road, checking my instruments.

If I had my way the driving test would be MUCH more involved and would likely take a whole day, maybe two.

I am of the opinion that anyone who cannot spot a signal light illuminated on their dashboard and query it should not hold a driver's license, as that light could quite easily be a more serious warning light which could pose a problem to surrounding traffic in the event of a sudden engine failure as an extreme example.

I voted for pulling ahead and flashing my rear fogs at them. I believe this is a waste of time in most cases, because anyone thick enough to fail to notice their fog light switch position and a warning light on the dash board is likely to be too stupid to connect my fog light flashing to their own error.

Ignorance is bliss......

I live in hope that one day it's a genuine mistake and someone will wake up and switch off their fog lights....like it'll ever happen.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 02:16 

Jaime_duff I used to flash my rear fogs to let them know but either got blank looks and the fogs stayed on, they thought I was braking or they just got stroppy so don't do it know.

As an aside what are you flying ??

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 08:21 
User

Strictly private stuff matey.

Can't afford to own a CofA aircraft so I have a homebuilt flying under the PFA. Got to fly lots of RAF trainers when I was a cadet then later in the UAS.

We're experiencing similar over-regulation in aviation too. Rules, paperwork, restrictions and charging trying to take the place of hands-on experience and airmanship. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 22:40 

Can remember my cadet days too, Bulldogs, Chipmonks and Tucanos on camp - happy days !!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk