Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Last winter was quite severe, so did you implement any of the following ?
Vehicle checks ? (coolant levels, oil, spare tyre, tyre pressures and tread condition etc (other?), specific vehicle needs, jump leads) 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Vehicle checks ? (coolant levels, oil, spare tyre, tyre pressures and tread condition etc (other?), specific vehicle needs, jump leads) 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Car kits ? (spade/shovel, plastic sheet, spare light bulbs, washer fluid, spare windscreen blades, ice scraper, (handy key de-icer outside the car!), tools, spare fuses, warning triangles, hi-vis jackets, torch, water) 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Car kits ? (spade/shovel, plastic sheet, spare light bulbs, washer fluid, spare windscreen blades, ice scraper, (handy key de-icer outside the car!), tools, spare fuses, warning triangles, hi-vis jackets, torch, water) 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
People kits ? (warm clothes, hat gloves boots, food/drink, blankets, 1st aid) 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
People kits ? (warm clothes, hat gloves boots, food/drink, blankets, 1st aid) 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Did you buy winter tyres - how long were they used for? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Did you buy winter tyres - how long were they used for? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Did you increase maintenance ? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Did you increase maintenance ? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Did you reduce maintenance ? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Did you reduce maintenance ? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Was cost a reason to reduce maintenance? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Was cost a reason to reduce maintenance? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Was time (not enough) a reason to reduce maintenance? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Was time (not enough) a reason to reduce maintenance? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Winter Safety
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 03:35 
Site Admin

Do please add additional winter requirements you found useful or necessary.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Winter Safety
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 23:06 

I normally carry a tow rope but on long journeys supplemented it with several more AND a 5 ton ratchet strap off a truck (AKA the poor man's winch)!

I've never bothered with spare wiper blades.

I don't increase or decrease maintenance in winter, just do the same checks as I'd normally do. Maybe check battery electrolyte level and antifreeze concentration.

I had a can of that "Tyre-Grip" spray that the American chap was on about - (which proved next-to-useless if anyone is thinking of buying some)!

Didn't have a 1st aid kit (but probably should have).

Didn't buy winter tyres but that's because its a company car. If I was using my own, I'd probably have done so.

A sleeping bag was part of my "people kit"

A washing up liquid bottle with water / screenwash in it was a useful thing to have inside the car for when te washer jets frooze.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 01:06 
User

I carry a tow rope at all times - along with a fairly extensive bag of other useful goodies.
A white with red cross golf umbrella.
BIG tie wraps, small tie wraps, wire, brake cleaner (cleans all sort of things including hands) 3x 500ml Bottles of fresh water, bottle of soapy water (for if the washer bottle freezes) warning triangle, fire extinguisher, wheel wrench (with extendible handle!), a roll of industrial paper towelling, masking tape, two first aid kits, heavy duty jump leads, dynamo torch, a regular torch (AA multi LED job) a picnic blanket and a 12v - 240v 650 watt invertor.

For winter, I took two sleeping bags, snow socks (fabric alternative to snow chains), candles, flask of hot water, tea, coffee, sugar and hot chocolate, chocolate bars, cereal bars, a pair of hiking boots and socks and a change of clothing, enough woollen hats and gloves for 5 people, Cyalume light sticks, two sets of LED cycle lights, with flashing option, and a P7 LED Lenser torch, 5 litres of spare oil and 5 litres of extra low temp. screenwash (down to -20°C) and two ice scrapers.
On 3rd December we went from Windermere to Garve (north of Inverness) and took 25kgs of rock salt/grit too - which I didn't need once despite all the snow.
When I got to Garve, people we were supposed to meet from Edinburgh had been unable to make it!
I didn't even need to put the snow socks on - I think the extra weight helped!
Take a look!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lakelandfolk/ScotlandForTheBrave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 18:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

With the price of fuel being what it is/was, and trying to make cuts in my out-goings, I didn't travel further than it would take me an hour or so to walk back from anywhere I went. So I just carried on as usual within a radius of about five miles..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.