Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 19:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What brought you to SafeSpeed initially?
I got points for speeding & thought it was unfair 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
I got points for speeding & thought it was unfair 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
I got 2 or more NIPs & thought enough's enough 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I got 2 or more NIPs & thought enough's enough 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Speed cameras made me feel unsafe 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Speed cameras made me feel unsafe 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
I thought road safety could be better 15%  15%  [ 17 ]
I thought road safety could be better 15%  15%  [ 17 ]
I was just browsing & got interested 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
I was just browsing & got interested 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
I saw a link somewhere 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
I saw a link somewhere 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
I wanted a rant about roads in general 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I wanted a rant about roads in general 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 116
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Found site as a GOOGLE on speed cameras .Decided that I needed knowledge on how they worked etc to help me defend my licence .Found that the ethics on this site matched those of my mentors ,and in fact I'd been taught along most of those lines ,and practiced most of the preaching .COAST brought back memories of my dad and uncle teachings ,and most of all finding serving Police traffoc blokes (like IG) willing to impart knowledge (just like wat it was on the roads when I got let loose,where Trafplod was a friendly bloke ready to pass out advice), and with experience seeing the wisdom of their words ,marked this site to me as a site seriously devoted to road safety . I suspected cameras were not all about safety ,and Pauls findings backed up my suspicions.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: What brought you here?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:37 
User

I learned about the forums after *Sir Paul Smith's passing. I'd been searching for traffic safety data that didn't come from a government source, and didn't sound of feel like it was spun.

How strange, for a New Yorker to find the greatest density of such information, gathered by an individual (the North American National Motorists Association doesn't have nearly as much statistical info regarding human behavior and traffic safety).

I lurked on the data portion of this forum for about a month before reading some of the forum posts, and decided to register as soon as I learned of his demise.

*Presumptuous, maybe, but I consider him an exemplary and aspirational character.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 03:49 
Site Admin

Oh he was that and much more. I have a DVD of his CH 4 interview a few weeks before he died - I also have the outtakes too ! I can't send a copy due to copyright laws but if you are ever over here I would be happy to let you watch and here him in action.
He is on You Tube but I have forgotten the link. He was a computer electronics engineer and went from project to project putting is all into each one as it came along. We have both had a passion for driving since we were young. Meeting Paul took my skills along much quicker than I would have if left to my own devices. He was incredibly intelligent and as I am sure you have read, had a wonderful concise way of phrasing things.
He loved to be thorough, precise and as perfect as possible, with a massive passion for learning and analysing.
I am so sorry that you never got to chat with him.