slightly more often 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
slightly more often 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
about the same 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
about the same 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 32
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 18:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This time I'm asking how having a cradle would change your use of a mobile phone while driving. This isn't about the law as it stands or how it might change. For the purposes of the poll imagine the restrictions on mobile use had not yet come into effect. In other words, compare your pre-ban (or not :shock: ) use of a hand held phone with your likely or actual use with a cradle.

Edit: dammit dammit dammit dammit. I can't edit the poll options. There's supposed to be abother option for "less often" but I cocked it up. Since it doesn't make a lot of difference treat "about the same" as "about the same or less". :oops:

Part 1 of the poll is here

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 18:55 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I tend to think if someone did have a cradle and go to the trouble of putting the phone in it every time they get in the car, and attaching a headset, it would tend to make them use it more often.

The issue is not so much the cost as the "fiddle factor" if you would only use the phone once in a blue moon.

I will admit to having broken this law once, when stationary in a traffic jam, but with my engine running. I would not think it worth the bother of using a cradle for the benefit of one call in two years, and hopefully the police would turn a blind eye to such use.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 20:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My "cradle" is in fact a magnetic holder and a bluetooth hands free thingy. No headset.

My company insisted; I was not bothered. However, I did send an e-mail to them thanking them for the hands-free kit. I had no idea how beneficial it would be until the first morning on the way in when it rang - I was able to attend the call of someone phoning in sick without having to stop shaving. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 20:57 
User

PeterE wrote:
The issue is not so much the cost as the "fiddle factor" if you would only use the phone once in a blue moon.

... which is why Bluetooth works so well. Since going over to Bluetooth and getting a fixed insallation, the "fiddle factor" is nil. I just throw my briefcase and coat in the back and drive away. The phone pairs to the car and I'm hands-free without needing to do a thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 21:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

willcove wrote:
PeterE wrote:

... which is why Bluetooth works so well. Since going over to Bluetooth and getting a fixed insallation, the "fiddle factor" is nil. I just throw my briefcase and coat in the back and drive away. The phone pairs to the car and I'm hands-free without needing to do a thing.

But presumably this costs several hundred pounds rather than the £19.99 or whatever you pay for a stick-on cradle and cheap headset.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 21:06 
User

PeterE wrote:
willcove wrote:
PeterE wrote:

But presumably this costs several hundred pounds rather than the £19.99 or whatever you pay for a stick-on cradle and cheap headset.

Nope, under £90 (see my post in the other poll for details). The same company does a "plug in the cigar lighter socket" doobery for about £50. However, my wife has one and I reckon the better quality of the CK3000 is well worth the extra.

The thing that I really like is that Bluetooth promises to be universal (at least, that should be the case for third-party kit). So, for the first time, I can upgrade my phone without needing to scrap an expensive hands-free kit.