The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 22:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
It's like Kylie inviting me to jump on her while she's wearing hedgehog skins. Think I'll watch your videos instead ta

This is where we differ, I still wouldn't drive in North Wales, however I would put up with the pain of the Hedgehog skins :)

Upton Sinclair

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:26 
New User
New User

My boyfriend received a sppeding ticket whilst we were on holiday in Wales, he has decided to take the course as 3 points doesn't look attractive on your licence.

Does anyone know if you can take the course at your local centre as driving for 5 hours there and 5 hours back to do one course seems rather silly. And to be honest out of protest we do not wish to return to North Wales.

Grateful to hear from anyone that has been in the same situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 14:40 
New User
New User

Sadly I think your boyfriend has no chance of being offered a course locally. There was at one point an initiative to allow you take the course local to where you live. However most Police Forces appear not to have signed up to it, presumably because another police force would end up getting the £60 (you will not be surprised to hear N Wales do not offer a choice). I challenged this on my course and was told that it was because the police computer system couldn't cope, although I noticed that it was smart enough to be able to check if I had been on a Speed Awareness Course previously anywhere else in the country!!!

The only pluses out of this are that (a) you don't get the points and (b) all you have to do to 'pass' is pay your £60 and turn up for the 3 hours. You can ask as many difficult questions as you want about the motives for the courses and laugh at all the excuses given apart from the real one, i.e. it generates substantial funds for N. Wales police.

Go on holiday somewhere different this year and feel smug that N. Wales police can't get any more money out of you! I wrote to the Welsh Tourist Board and told them why I wouldn't be coming back to N. Wales on holiday again. I didn't get a reply but it made me feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 15:56 

At what pointdo you actually have to pay and how do you agree the attendance dates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 16:20 
New User
New User

you pay by cheque when you send back the form to confirm you can attend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 15:07 

and how long from the date of the alleged offence were you given the chance to go on the course?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 15:09 
New User
New User

only 6 weeks from the alleged offence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 15:17 

how long to you have to reply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 15:29 
New User
New User

Not that long I don't think. I just don't think it's right that if you get one on holiday you have to go back to the same place that you got the ticket to do a speed awareness course. Especially when he was doing 34 in a 30.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 06:13 
User

Was that a 30mph that was previously a 40mph Gemma?......That's the problem isn't it? They weren't getting enough money in so they reduced the speed limits to catch more of us.......

Wales is an hour or less away from me................there are some nice places to visit there. But, sorry, it's not worth my licence. In fact "Britain PLC" is not worth it anymore, it's an overpriced rip off, overtaxed, over-policed and more congested (due to lack of investment in roads) ....That's why I travel to Europe now. It's well worth the extra and I now spend my money over there instead.............

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 17:07 
New User
New User

I live in wales.
But I would move tomorrow if I could.
Wales like England and Scotland has become a big brother police state.

Speed camera's dont make for safer driving at all, all it does is cost you money.

The speed camera data is used along with all the 'other' secret and no so secret cameras in the towns and roads of this country to enable the tracking of anyone that the government wants to track. The fact we all speed is a fact, and there is a arguement for having the camera's in place to deter but it does not just do that it also penalises people who can ill afford to pay, or lose their licence because they are just over the limit and have accrued too many and get banned.

We dont all hit the high street at 79 mph. Most drive at a sensible speed and sometimes unintentionly exceed the local limit either due to confusion or bad traffic signs or carelessness.

The motorist has been the taxmans golden goose for many years, hits us for petrol, ie petrol has been taxed at approaching 70 percent tax, the same with diesel. One small fact is amusing, when petrol is refined the WASTE product IS diesel.

And diesel was half the price of petrol for many years till recently when the government vultures relised that the diesel was half the price and YET went twice as far in milage terms then petrol.

Not to mention Road tax.
Or insurance

We are have the highest taxed fuel in europe (possibly the world) and we STAND for it. We need to say NO.

And NO to cash producing speed camera's.

Yours

George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 19:45 
Site Admin

:welcome: vfr3000

As you have gathered I am sure from the website and forums we do not approve of speed cameras as they bring nothing to road safety.
Our opinions are based upon facts.