Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advertising Standards?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:04 
New User
New User

Yesterday I saw one of the lastest Think! ads on the back of a bus. The claim is "Reducing Deaths Year on Year", which has got to be as far fetched as horse shit from China! I spotted this in Staffordshire, a county plagued by a very agressive scam partnership accompanied by a rapidly increasing road death toll.

Anyone think this would be grounds for a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 14:23 

Absolutely because if they state deaths - they must mean fatalities and their data paints a different angle.

Fatal (over the last 5 years) 53 44 54 64 46 65

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/pls/por ... ACCSEV.PDF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 15:19 
User

Careful: the link points to a chart listing Accidents, not Injuries (assuming death is a Fatal Injury). Little discrepancies like this become a big problem when complaining.

We did try with adverts on buses blaming Cars for pollution that is mainly put out by buses - and lost.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3278

I live just outside South Staffs, and the trip to Leek is now a nightmare of Camera after Camera after Camera, so I have sympathy.

Assuming one fatality per accident, then the individual figures imply a raise, but you probably need to look at a rolling average to flatten out the peaks. A three year average gives 50.3, 54, 54.6, 58.3 which is a continuously rising number by anybodies standards. They might then argue that it is fatalities per X vehicle miles, in which case high numbers are acceptable if the number of vehicle miles has increased at a faster rate.

The problem is that you will be using a government funded organisation to complain about official figures from another government funded organisation, and just like Bliar and Saddams WMD it doesn't matter how obvious the truth is. If your knighthood for services to the "country" depends on not pissing of those that matter, then would you risk it?

I suggest trying (the link to the ASA web page for entering complaints is on the linked thread), but don't expect the complaint to be upheld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 16:52 

On the subject of inconsistencies.

the scamerati say 73 people were killed in 2003
the council say 65. Do they cover different areas?

I've not seen the ad. But if you are claiming that you are reducing death, then surely deaths need to go down in you area?

perhaps they are refering to their enforced zones. Comparing these with the county stats - the cameras have been very effective at displacing accidents.

interestingly only 57% of offences resulted in a fine being paid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 17:31 
User

Ah yes, forgot that one - look at all the lives we have saved at camera sites...

I suspect that as I pointed out, the Council number is for Fatal Accidents, while the Scamera number is for Fatalities. They are different, because more that one person can die in a single accident. They can of course play the game both ways picking the numbers that best suit their argument.